• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket cd player in 97+

XJhabitat

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any pictures of an aftermarket deck in a late model? i put my deck up to mine and its too small to fit so i wanna see what people have done with theirs to make it fit.. thanks

a couple companies make larger radios to fit the 1 1/2 size gap. you can also get an adapter plate to make the one you have fit. check out crutchfield.com you should be able to find something there.

Yes, just use the adapter plate. it works perfectly. Any local store that sells radios should be able to sell you one. Picked mine up at a local Best Buy store for about $10.00. Not much to it, but it's works. If I can remember I will get some pictures later of mine.

Do not buy the Walmart install kit, it blows. Go to a stereo shop or best Buy and pick one up.
ff87.jpg

My Alpine unit and iTrip set up...

1000331kb2.jpg

Bought the Alpine from Crutchfield about 2 years ago, and they're the best way to go, IMO. Came with everything I needed (wiring harnesses, the correct sized adaptor plate...etc etc). Zero complaints

what year is that, i thought the later xj openings were din and a half not a double din.... hmm looks like you cut and wrapped the trim piece? nice install did you do that or pay to have it done?

its a pioneer avic d3 about $999. thru an authorized retailer but you can find them on line for around $850. they are din and half but i cut the center bezel up and reshaped it with mdf and bondo to get the right fit for the head unit thenrepainted to match the interior. i had to trim a little behind the dash and make my own mounts too. i found a few links to caraudio sites where other guys have done it. i just copied what they did. once i got the mounting figured out i trimmed the panel and reshaped it to fit around the head unit. it took some time but it came out pretty good.

roxj said:
its a pioneer avic d3 about $999. thru an authorized retailer but you can find them on line for around $850. they are din and half but i cut the center bezel up and reshaped it with mdf and bondo to get the right fit for the head unit thenrepainted to match the interior. i had to trim a little behind the dash and make my own mounts too. i found a few links to caraudio sites where other guys have done it. i just copied what they did. once i got the mounting figured out i trimmed the panel and reshaped it to fit around the head unit. it took some time but it came out pretty good.

it looks very good man good job. i removed the lower center AC vent and built in an angle mounted 7.5" screen, bondo'd it up and wrapped everything in black vinyl. i had it hooked up to a ps2 mounted vertically into the right front kick panel, it worked out really well... till someone stole it... lol. anyways nice work, have any more pics of it? i'l like to see it without the radio in if you get a chance? mines a 95 so its a bit different but im looking for ideas of what to do once i get the cash to get a nice setup back in there.

Can't remember where I ordered this particular faceplate from, but I rather like it - the CD storage slot underneath the head unit pushes the radio up an extra half-inch or so, which for some reason seems to make the controls much easier for me to get at compared to the 'regular' faceplates.

xm_install_11.jpg

I seem to recall that someone on here had originally dug it up. Some searching would probably find it if you're interested.

I've got one that looks identical to that sitting next to me, just bought a Sony GT310 radio kit from Quadratec. came with the wiring adapter and the dash piece. the wiring and dash came from Chadds Ford Electronics, if you're not using a Sony radio, call up Bob and Chadds Ford Electronics and see if he can sell you part # CFE-6000. That's the single din dash piece for a 97+ XJ. It's probably around $20, that's what the YJ/TJ ones sell for at Quadratec.

gonna go out and install it now. :-D

casm said:
Can't remember where I ordered this particular faceplate from, but I rather like it - the CD storage slot underneath the head unit pushes the radio up an extra half-inch or so, which for some reason seems to make the controls much easier for me to get at compared to the 'regular' faceplates.

xm_install_11.jpg

I seem to recall that someone on here had originally dug it up. Some searching would probably find it if you're interested.
I believe that is a METRA brand kit. You'll have to order it off the Internet, or go to a car stereo shop to get one. I haven't seen them anywhere else. Here is my set up with my old CD player. Don't have one with the new one, but it's in the same spot.

DSCF1731.jpg

scoobyxj said:
I believe that is a METRA brand kit. You'll have to order it off the Internet, or go to a car stereo shop to get one. I haven't seen them anywhere else. Here is my set up with my old CD player. Don't have one with the new one, but it's in the same spot.

DSCF1731.jpg

Am i seeing things, or is that some sort of overhead console type computer right above the radio?

you can see in these pics the before and after mods behind the dash. the ac ducts had to be cut and reshaped and the factory drivers side radio mount also had to be removed. then i had to make some mounting brackets to secure the head unit.

IM000852.jpg
[/IMG]

IM000853.jpg
[/IMG]

IM000854.jpg
[/IMG]

Back