• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

well gentlemen,
i am off to indy, i will be running 4oz of acetone to every twenty gallon tank. i watchin the milage like a hawk of course. just last week i drove the same jeep to savannah and figured in gas milage for the trip was 12.5-14 per gallon.. so when i return at like 11 2nite i'll give you all the heads up..talk to you soon.

2000 2wd
4,5 inch rustys
31 BFG ats
k/n / flowmaster

Rangers Lead The Way,
CPL Maier

Grifter144 said:
well gentlemen,
i am off to indy, i will be running 4oz of acetone to every twenty gallon tank. i watchin the milage like a hawk of course. just last week i drove the same jeep to savannah and figured in gas milage for the trip was 12.5-14 per gallon.. so when i return at like 11 2nite i'll give you all the heads up..talk to you soon.

Great, let us know ! and anyone else who is doing this.. I think I'll give it a try too.. I want to hear from you guys.

dan89XJ said:
Great, let us know ! and anyone else who is doing this.. I think I'll give it a try too.. I want to hear from you guys.

Hopefully you won't hear "my fuel pump died!" or "my O2 sensors went out!" or "my damn jeep exploded!!!".

rumblebelly said:
Hopefully you won't hear "my fuel pump died!" or "my O2 sensors went out!" or "my damn jeep exploded!!!".

105 miles so far and no kaboom...

well I got off my duff and got my speed sensor properly adjusted today. As luck would have it, after the SYE install my speedo is dead-on <owing apparently to the larger drive gear on the Terra output shaft>.

Put a 2 ounce bottle of nail polish remover <acetone, I checked> in the tank <about 5 gallons left> and will top off with an additional 2 ounces of Acetone <coming from a container that said "Acetone" in big bold letters, on the shelf at ACE, so I think I'm safe ;) >. I've been getting a solid steady 12MPG <corrected via GPS> before this <as judged before I did the Tera SYE>-- we'll see what happens.

4 oz running in my 96 Dodge Ram 5.9l v8, get 13mpg now, well see if it improves. Havn't been driving the Jeep due to unfinished projects and getting readu for wheelin.

4 oz in tank of my 87 4.0 100 miles so far as well and no boom, I too have noticed a smoother running idle and more power. Some I am sure is SOTP but I also need to regear bad and 5th gear has not been able to be used for a while now and I can run in 5th now and mantain speed at 75+ on flat a SMALL rolling hills now. It is still gutless if I need more speed but before I would just slowly lose speed. I believe they are removing the winter aditives from our gas right now as well so this could have some effect as well.

Bottom line is in the average XJ that get 14-17 MPG and acetone at 13 bucks a Gal. comes out to about .45 cents extra per tank to treat (4oz per 20 gal) if is improves the MPGs by 1% it pays for itself.

I will give my numbers at next fill up that will be tomorrow afternoon after a 140 Mile trip.

It's working!!
I have picked up about 3-4 mph
on the first tank alone
smile.gif

crazy4mopar said:
It's working!!
I have picked up about 3-4 mph
on the first tank alone
smile.gif

W00t! How much did you use for a 20 gallon tank? Did you get your fuel from the same place you always do?

Now to just keep an eye on it for the next 4 tanks and average them all together.

I'm REALLY excited about this.. I could deal with getting 16MPG.

burntkat said:
W00t! How much did you use for a 20 gallon tank? Did you get your fuel from the same place you always do?

Now to just keep an eye on it for the next 4 tanks and average them all together.

I'm REALLY excited about this.. I could deal with getting 16MPG.

Make sure you use the same pump, the ambient air is consistent, the barometric pressure hasn't changed, and the moon hasn't burped. :gag:

here it is,
i drove from Detroit to Ft Wayne this afternoon to pick up a t-case..on the first tank i added 4oz of acetone. i made it 262 miles at right around 70-75 mph..which turns out to be approximatly 15.3 mpg..so when i refilled after turning around and starting to drive back i left the fuel alone. NO ACETONE and ended up at home at 179.2 miles on 14.5 gallons, which turns out to be 12.3 so w/ the acetone i gained a total of 3mpg, which turns into 60 miles on the tank. a pretty impressive gain if i dont say so myself. also i took a couple minutes to stand behind my jeep and i dont think shes puffing as much as she once did..also the idle SEEMS smoother. HTH men. take care.

CPL Maier
2000 xj 2wd(now soon to be 4x4)
4.5 in rustys
31 bfg ats
k/n / flowmaster

that's pretty impressive, Corporal....

now, you're not going to tell us you were heading uphill into a headwind on the way back, are ya?

Seriously- I assume the speed was similar, etc?

I'm at around 120mi. after three-eigths of a tank - simple math suggests this should work out at 320 miles per tank. That would give an average of 16mpg, a roughly 2-2.5mpg improvement over what I usually get with mixed (mostly town) driving.

These numbers also aren't exactly being recorded under the strictest control - it spent a lot of time idling today while running an inverter, so the average is being hit by things like that. Still, there is an improvement there and hopefully the next tank can be tracked under more normal conditions.

is there any negative effects of using aceteone?

I tried it on the wifes car first :)
It's an 89 olds, 3 liter, EFI, V6
before 19 mpg after 22 mpg, this was on a 155 mile freeway trip
I filled it at chevron before and after the trip it took about 1 1/4 gal. less gas than yesterdays trip. I ran 65-70 mph the whole time same traffic conditions as yesterday

I bought a 2 ounce bottle of Acetone nail polish remover <the Cutex stuff at Walgreens, for $.99>. Dumped it in and am saving the bottle for future use since it's obviously acetone-safe. Filled up with 89 octane Hess <my normal brand>.

One thing that you may want to be aware of, I've found from other forums that are experimenting with this- don't pour the acetone directly in, as it'll have to flow across the rubber fill hose and concentrations of acetone eat rubber. Rather, use a funnel-- one of those long skinny ones for the transmission fluid ought to work fine in our rigs, their not being a lot of distance between the fill neck and the tank inlet.

Drove 38 miles since, and there's something going on here. I can't comment on mileage yet- I'll wait till it's time to fill up- but she's running a hell of a lot smoother now, and there's a definite improvement in power and responsiveness. This is in my 90 XJ, 4.0 out of a junkyard <about 180K on it>, running Mustang 19 lb/hr injectors and running pig-rich as evidenced by the tailpipe <sooty>.

There is a strange smell- almost like diesel fuel- coming from my tailpipe that wasn't there before. More than likely this is all the crap in the motor <varnish, sludge, etc, from the rich condition> being cleaned out. This is NOT to say everyone will experience it- just relating my experience.

My mileage thus far <judging before the experiment, over the last two years of ownership- I keep records> has been pretty steady between 12.3-13.5 MPG. I'm going to run this tank through, see what happens, then work on my rich condition <best bet is the injectors are simply flowing too much fuel into the motor- I'll compensate in the short term by doing Dino Sava's MAP budget mod, and switch over to the Megasquirt EFI system at some future point, to keep the changes to a minimum throughout this>.

burntkat said:
I bought a 2 ounce bottle of Acetone nail polish remover <the Cutex stuff at Walgreens, for $.99>. Dumped it in and am saving the bottle for future use since it's obviously acetone-safe. Filled up with 89 octane Hess <my normal brand>.

Um... Just make sure that it says it's 100% acetone on the label. One thing I ran across in researching all this is that nail polishes apparently contain varnishes that bond to the acetone when applied (and I always sucked at chemistry, so my apologies to any of our chemists if this description blows). The concentration likely isn't strong enough to do any damage in just one (or one-half) tankful, but over time it'd be easy to see how it could gum up injectors, etc. Just a thought.

burntkat said:
My mileage thus far <judging before the experiment, over the last two years of ownership- I keep records> has been pretty steady between 12.3-13.5 MPG.

it's hard to remember what everyone has; do you have lift/big tires/bumpers/etc on this XJ? even with 35s I get abotu 15 on my 200k Renix 4.0...

Back