• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

no problem Columbus, we will fix it all next weekend. !!!1:gee:

I checked my right control arm... the lower flex joint has 1/4 inch play. NOT GOOD. The whole axle shifts.

Good thing is that the new one comes tomorrow.

Update-
Rear 8.25 geared to 4.56 is cleaned, painted, and ready to go. It's getting my aussie, shafts, and zj disks, along with my ruff stuff cover. It'll be a nicely built axle. Nothing serious, but still really nice.

Front axle will come out of Himmred's xj. 4.56, with a lockright. (Ed is a naxja rockstar. haha) Its a disco axle, so it will be getting the yukon single piece conversion kit, and new knuckles, shafts, and bearings from my 2000 low pinion axle with 80,000 miles. Josh is also hooking it up with a gofer it flip kit. (Ed and josh will both be receiving the flip kit, from me.)

I also ordered the outer tubes from aj's offroad, so those will be welded on as well. Im really happy to get those, as I always get complaints from girls about the height of the jeep. It's something I've wanted to fix for a while.

Finally, my rear bumper has created a crack in the crossmember. Aj is hooking me up with some frame reinforcements that run under the hitch. We will weld those on, and we also might make tabs that go behind the bumper, and mate up with the face of the hitch. These tabs will bolt to the hitch, making it a 2 piece setup.

All this work will be nailed out by me, Tim, Josh, and whoever else shows up to the fun factory.

In other news, I am painting my rims metallic grey, because I saw a 2010 wrangler mountain edition. Blue paint with grey rims = sex.

I also ordered the outer tubes from aj's offroad, so those will be welded on as well. Im really happy to get those, as I always get complaints from girls about the height of the jeep. It's something I've wanted to fix for a while.

'splain that to me, Sean. Not sure I follow that. You talking outter rock rail tubes to convert your sliders to super rails?

'splain that to me, Sean. Not sure I follow that. You talking outter rock rail tubes to convert your sliders to super rails?

yes, that's what were doing. keeps the rocks further away from his pretty blue paint. :sunshine:

:lecture: young grasshopper, when you are older & wiser you will learn to appreciate the fine female form as they extend their legs skyward to climb in, preferably whilst wearing a short skirt & no panties ala: britney / lindsay / miley... :worship:

i am sure rocknxj will back me up on this :cheers:

Yeah. I'll paint em monday or something.

Horrible image Kelly. LOL

Headin down to tims early tomorrow.

hey columbus...i just finished watching zombieland!
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot.png

We got a LOT done today.
-Swapped the aussie, zj disks, and shafts into the 4.56 geared c8.25.
-Rear axle is under the jeep.

-Removed Ed's front axle (It has 4.56 gears, and a lockright, however it is a vac. disco.)
-Swapped the new seals in, and blocked off the disconnect unit.
-Swapped the axle under the jeep.

-Tim welded the outer rails to the rock sliders. They look SWEET!
-He also fabbed up some bumpstop plates, and fixed my broken bumpstop.
-Also, he welded the track bar mount to the frame.

Lots more to come. stay tuned.

Sounds like an awesome weekend Sean. Super sorry I couldn't help out. I have been home sick for 3 days (again).

I am free next Saturday, you guys wanna hit HH for a test run?

It went well!
-Goferit flip installed
-Rear bumper TOTALLY beefed up.
-Front axle done

However... Driving home, I cant go over 65 mph. The vibration from the rear driveline is AWFUL. Its a pulsing drone that shakes the whole cab.

I think I need to shim the rear. (Its just below zero degrees at the pinion.)

And no problem Mark. Get better. I'd like to go, but I need to fix the vibe. It sucks.

Thank you Tim, Ed, and Josh!!!

Update.

-We put 4 degree shims, still vibed.
-We took those out and put RE shackles in, better, but still bad.
-We swapped in a new rear shaft, still bad.
-Next we are going to machine the 4 degree shims down to 2.

Unfortunately, it looks like the RE hack n tap might have play. Not good at all. Anyone have a new tcase? :(

In other news, the axle I swapped in either has a bad pinion bearing, or it was setup wrong. I'll try some thicker oil, but it will probably need to be rebuilt.

Thats a bummer cause 330licious said it only had 80,000 miles, and only 20,000 on the gears. Oh well. Live and learn.

Sean,

A few questions...

Where does the RE H&T have play in it? Flange should have a tapered spline hole, so is should fit snug. Why do you need a new Tcase? Worse case you just install a SYE into your existing tcase.

Is the axle you're referring to that you swapped in a 8.25? I say drop the dif cover and see if the adjustment collars came loose. Mine did, and that's what grenaded my 8.25. It had a nasty growel before it went kabloey. As I mentioned before in another post, I had to have the collar caps machined down 3 thousandths on each end, to snug up the caps.

it's too hard to check his gears as he used a drum of rtv to seal the cover.
he will need a winch to pull the cover off! :jester:

^LOL.

So the SYE saga continues.

I pulled the yoke off yesterday, and noticed that there is a slight bit of play in the splines. There is ZERO rotational play, which is what matters. If I put some teflon tape in there, I may be able to remove some of the side to side play. We'll see. I also got new bolts, and a new c clip to clean up any play in the washer.

Back