• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different kind of tire carrier...

Little off topic, but has anyone ever SEEN the OEM rooftop gutter mount spar tire carrier that was available for the later model XJs?

I've got one. Just to clarify: it attaches to the roof rails (not the gutters), and can be fitted without having to first remove the crossbars.

It's basically OK for what it is, but I wouldn't want to carry anything larger than about a 31" tyre on it. What I've found is that it likes to work its way out of attachment on at least one corner after a couple of hours, and retightening it can be kind of tedious. Still, it's better than nothing until I can get a proper tyre carrier on the back if I have to carry a lot of cargo.

From the 2001 Parts catalog:

220 3257 J, T 72, 74 CARRIER KIT, Tire-Roof Rack
Mount

Part number should read 8220 3257 ;)

Here is my unfinished take on the idea. I will be using 2 close assist or "traction" springs to pull it up. I know they will have to have a rediculous amount of pull, but I hope for it to be able to lift a 35" on a steel wheel. I am on 33"s right now.

MyJeep005.jpg

MyJeep003.jpg

MyJeep001.jpg

MyJeep007.jpg

I think this willwork perfectly, just make it latch ontop of the bumper and you don't have to worry about the hatch :thumbup:

I've got one. Just to clarify: it attaches to the roof rails (not the gutters), and can be fitted without having to first remove the crossbars.

It's basically OK for what it is, but I wouldn't want to carry anything larger than about a 31" tyre on it. What I've found is that it likes to work its way out of attachment on at least one corner after a couple of hours, and retightening it can be kind of tedious. Still, it's better than nothing until I can get a proper tyre carrier on the back if I have to carry a lot of cargo.

Part number should read 8220 3257 ;)

Thanks for the info--looking at the diagram in the parts catalog I thought it was gutter mount.

I think I will use that diagram for a starting point and build one for gutter mount use, maybe with a couple can mounts on it.

There will be no problems with it ripping sheet metal. It will also be mounted high so I don't think I'll be dropping in on it. Not down low like stock. So most of the weight will be near or as close to the top of the door as I can get it without interfering with my planned roof rack.
How are you going to be able to do this since the glass takes up almost 1/2 of the hatch area?

Looking at this again, are you intending to put the hinges for the carrier in the roof rack? Just curious as that idea interests me for a couple of reasons (mainly to do with getting stress off of the tailgate hinges), but it does raise a couple of concerns of its own (moving that weight onto the roof rails / gutters).

Thanks for the info--looking at the diagram in the parts catalog I thought it was gutter mount.

No problem, and I can see where it'd be easy to think that was the case. There are some photos of one installed here; dunno if you've seen them yet or not, but they may be useful to you.

I think I will use that diagram for a starting point and build one for gutter mount use, maybe with a couple can mounts on it.

If you do, please be sure to write up your progress. I like the basic concept of the Mopar carrier, but think it could use some improvements (and the can mounts are one of the ones I'd been playing with the idea of).

To casm: yes, it will hinge off of the rack. Very little weight should be on the hatch, and only when it is closed. I will be adding a 1/8"x2.5"x whatever length aluminum strip to area it will be contacting. I think the eight gutter mounts should evenly distribute the load, if not, I can always add more.

To the OP: Search "gas shocks" on McMaster-Carr. Thats where I plan to get mine from.

No problem, and I can see where it'd be easy to think that was the case. There are some photos of one installed here; dunno if you've seen them yet or not, but they may be useful to you.

If you do, please be sure to write up your progress. I like the basic concept of the Mopar carrier, but think it could use some improvements (and the can mounts are one of the ones I'd been playing with the idea of).

Thanks for the pictures! That's great, and it motivates me to get started on this.

Yes, I will do photos and a write up. Thanks again!

Its getting hard to respond to people as some are asking questions about things that do not pertain to this thread but anyways...

What I am building will as i said in my original post be mounted to the lift gate only. It will also as i said before mount at the top bottom and middle of the gate with reinforced mounts sort of how a rack covers the roof but only ties in at the outside points like the gutter rails. all of the material for the rack should only weight about 20 - 25 lbs. So that plus the tire and wheel will total about 100 lbs.

I will be making new strut mounts near the stock locations but I don't know where to find heavy duty struts though.

Will the top of the tire rack be hinged to the roof rack, so the roof carries part of the weight?

Its getting hard to respond to people as some are asking questions about things that do not pertain to this thread but anyways...

What I am building will as i said in my original post be mounted to the lift gate only. It will also as i said before mount at the top bottom and middle of the gate with reinforced mounts sort of how a rack covers the roof but only ties in at the outside points like the gutter rails. all of the material for the rack should only weight about 20 - 25 lbs. So that plus the tire and wheel will total about 100 lbs.

I will be making new strut mounts near the stock locations but I don't know where to find heavy duty struts though.

Go onto McMaster-Carr's website and search "gas springs".

def want to see how this turns out a friend of mine was asking my thoughts on doing it to his, i think it can be done but have never seen anyone do it. I really am intreasted in this I might try it if it works out well

From your pics, I see 2 things that I question

1) if you do mount it to the roof rack cross bar up top, then the hatch and the tire carrier will have different hinge points, and they will bind unless the lower part of the hatch is able to slide to make up the different arcs of travel

2), if you get shocks sturdy enough to hold that hatch up with a tire on it, I'd hate to see what it'd do to your face if you unlatched it and tried to lift it without a tire on it

I had a ramcharger many years back that had stronger shocks on it that it called for, (but only by 30 lbs of pressure more, not 100 lbs like you will probably need), and it would take your face off if you didn't stand back when you raised the hatch

The pictures that were posted are not mine I will not be mounting it anywhere close to that. Ritter is mounting it to the rack with a separate lifting mechanism not connected to the lift gate it any way. Mine will only be mounted to the lift gate.

I would be concerned about the points where the lift strut attaches to the door and the jeep. Those studs are pretty small. You might have to beef up the attachment spot pretty substantially. Would such to have it break while open and the strut extends a full force while the door is crashing down on your head.

Interesting build, keep us posted!

Jeremy

You may want to consider beefing up the factory rear door hinges if you plan on mounting a tire to that hatch door. Pull off the trim inside and you can see how they bolt through the roof. It's not too beefy on my '87, but your year may be different.

X2 (or 3) on the hinge pin comment. I had a 2000 that the pin snapped on when it was about 4 years old. My 97 that I'm driving now looks like they may go any day - just a pain to replace. But that is with only the weight of the gate. I'd not want to put any serious additional weight on them.

Good luck,

Mark

hinges rusted, the pins were snapped when they siezed. I'd imagine if they were kept properly lubricated they would last longer - but the ones on my 97 show rust shadows between the upper and lower parts, like they are getting ready to let loose as well. Easy fix, took about a half hour. But I wouldn't overload them to begin with.

Mark

Wow on a 97. My 97 doesn't have a drop of rust anywhere. I guess it's a california thing. I'm going to see if I can enlarge the pin hole and get a bigger pin (twss).
Also maybe find a way to fit it with a grease fitting. If that isn't going to work I might see how hard it is to have a set of heavy duty hinges made. I have a friend/machinist with some pretty bad a.. Equipment.

Last edited:
Back