• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 sport drum brakes: 9” or 10”?

Woodswanderer

NAXJA Forum User
I know i know…go measure them. That requires disassembly

I need to order new shoes/hardware/cylinders for yearly inspection, does anyone know what came factory on the chryco 8.25? Everything i see says 10” except police package. Parts guy says its 9” shoes are all it shows. Rather rockauto it all…

Pulling a wheel is dis-assmbly??? I suppose you don't check your fluids because that requires opening the hood!!!

You could just order both sets of parts and send back the ones you don't use.

I think Varmint #1 figured out some way to look up all that stuff by VIN on the innerweb. He is at work, so I can't pester him as to how he did that.

I have gone to the stealership and gotten them to print out all the options for me. For a Sport XJ it is probably only 2 or 3 pages. I keep those print outs in the front of the file folder for each vehicle. Makes life easier when these questions come up.

I thought I read somewhere here years ago that only the XJs that came with the D44 rear (87-89 in U.S) had the 10" drums, everything else was 9". I also think the 10-inch drums had cooling fins, where the 9-inch ones are smooth (finless).

Also, the shoes for the 9-inch drums 2.5 inches wide, the 10-inch drums had 2 inch-wide shoes (also going from memory here).

If memory serves from when I redid my drums a couple years ago, somewhere on the drums themselves (not sure about whether it's the wheel mounting face or back on the edge that rides by the backing plate) that indicates the max inside diameter after "turning".

Best bet is to pull a rear wheel and inspect the drum itself, it's about the same work as changing a flat tire.

The only other caution is to not be surprised if you have fitment issues with the shoes - I bought the shoes at NAPA, and while the passenger side's set fit fine, the set for the driver's side didn't - too tight, bound up the wheel even with the self-adjuster fully retracted. Ended up having to exchange the driver's side shoes to get a set that fit right.

Pulling a wheel is dis-assmbly??? I suppose you don't check your fluids because that requires opening the hood!!!

You could just order both sets of parts and send back the ones you don't use.

Its hot out and no garage ;)

Wound up ordering the 9” Centric drum and shoe kit. Worth a shot 🤷🏼*♂️ and not mucj more $ than ordering shoed and hardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read the same thing about 10 inches vs 9 inch drum 10 only came on the dana 44 plus the cooling fins on the 10 inches drum .

I wonder if there was a HD brake option as my 2000 fsm list's a 10" drum?

I wonder if there was a HD brake option as my 2000 fsm list's a 10" drum?

During my search i kept seeing 10” listed as “except police vehicles” or something along those lines. I kind of suspected that dana rears got the 10” and the chryco got 9”. We’ll see when the centric kit comes next week if it fits. Only has to hold me over until i can build disc shafts to swap down the line

There's nothing to "build" as kj discs bolt straight on.

There's nothing to "build" as kj discs bolt straight on.

Im going to do new axle shafts and seals, plus bearings and use those ZJ ones you sent me. Might be a fine time to switch to 5x5 pattern . Figure if i build everything up off the jeep i can do a quicker swap. Pull old, replace seals, install new

Those zj backing plates require modification!

During my search i kept seeing 10” listed as “except police vehicles” or something along those lines. I kind of suspected that dana rears got the 10” and the chryco got 9”. We’ll see when the centric kit comes next week if it fits. Only has to hold me over until i can build disc shafts to swap down the line

I think I have a Dana 44 with 9" brakes. I haven't pulled them apart to measure them, but I have a D44 with smooth drums.

On my '95XJ with a D44 (Metric Ton axle) I had the big 10x2-1/2" brakes.....
FH000024_zpsr2unwojy.jpg

Back