• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ 4WD Conversion

antcgrn

NAXJA Forum User
Hello this is my first post on this forum and I was wanting to get some more info on doing my 4x4 swap. I've seen plenty of write-ups on this but didn't really see anything concerning this.

I know its a very straight forward swap, however I'm wanting to get some more technical info on it. My 98 XJ has the Chrysler 8.25 rear end with 3.55 gears, so I know that means I need to get a front axle with the same gearing. With the front axle being the Dana 30, should it be high or low pinion? What other year XJs can I use without doing any major mods? I want to get and AW4 with low miles and an NP231 transfer case, but what spline transmission and other things do I need to be concerned about? And as far as the light for the 4wd in the dash what bulb do I need?

I'm having alot of trouble finding a donor XJ where I live and almost no one will ship such large items, I'd much rather find an XJ that has the same gearing and take all the necessary parts or else find one with a Dana 44 and just replace my rear end too.

Thanks

Last edited:
On this website (http://jeepdex.com/partsmanuals/98xj.pdf) if you scroll down to page 298 and look at the parts diagram for the AW4, it looks like that rear part comes off and that you could bolt on the transfer case after that, even though it says there are two different types.

The 2wd transmission will NOT work with the extension housing from a 4wd AW4. You would need to completely tear down the 2wd AW4 and rebuild it to be a 4wd unit. It's far easier to locate a factory 4wd AW4, along with a transfer case. You will need the front and rear driveshafts, the front axle, shifter linkage and all associated wiring and and harnesses if possible. The transmission cross member can be re-used, but I would recommend replacing the trans mount, and the u-joints in the driveshafts. Having the transmission out is also a good time to do your rear main seal if it's leaking.

I also have a 98 and have researched this extensively. You will want a donor AW4 from years 98-01. 97 will work, but they added a second speed sensor in 98 so modifciation would need to be made to make it work. 98-01 is a direct bolt in for everything. Local salvage yards in my area have literally everying in stock for about $500-700.

Last edited:
The 2wd transmission will NOT work with the extension housing from a 4wd AW4. You will need to find a factory 4wd AW4, along with transfer case. You will need the front and rear driveshafts, the front axle, shifter linkage and all associated wiring and and harnesses if possible. I also have a 98 and have researched this extensively. You will want a donor AW4 from years 98-01. 97 will work, but they added a second speed sensor in 98 so modifciation would need to be made to make it work. 98-01 is a direct bolt in for everything.

So I won't have t worry about spline counts or anything like that? Its just as simple as taking it off the old and bolting it on the new?

So I won't have t worry about spline counts or anything like that? Its just as simple as taking it off the old and bolting it on the new?

As long as you're retaining the 3.55 gear ratio in the front axle and grabbing an AW4 and T-case from 98-01 you shouldn't have any problems. Kastein is the resident expert I turn to here for converion questions as he has answered these questions many times on this forum.

I would suggest searching the NAXJA forums for "2wd" or "conversion." There's lots of great reading on the subject.

ive done a couple of these in pre 98 ... in process of doing a 97 model right now using a donor 94 model, and have a 00 will be doing next.

3.55's are up under almost every cherokee you look at. Very easy to come find.
Get one from a 92~99 so it wont have vacuum disconect on it and it will bolt right up under yours... its more dersirable than a 00/01 which is a low pinion.

I put the 4x4 front end up under mine and drove it like that for a couple of months before I put the 4x4 trans/tc up under it...

antcgrn Im in Birmingham also ... PM me your # if you need any info. I know where there are 3 front axles at now and also trans etc.

I said this in another thread but the 4wd light is already on the dash. Don't forget to get the tcase shifter, linkage, brackets and trim.

Back