• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 XJ - Front Seat Replacement

GregB58

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ has a broken front drivers seat which is rather annoying. So I pulled it out this weekend to see about a temporary weld job to give it better support while I search for a new seat and continue to try to solve my error codes to get this thing to pass emissions checks. Unfortunately, once the seat was out, it definitely looks like these are seats from a parts vehicle (major rust on the seat frame) and are not worth the time to even try to temporarily fix. Also the previous owner snapped one of the rear studs at the floor pan at some point

So my question is what other seats (XJ's or other models) are a direct fit for the XJ? Or where is a recommended supplier to purchase new seats that won't require me to take out a second mortgage on my house.

Last edited:
Any 1996-2001 XJ seat will work. WJ Grand Cherokee seats will bolt onto the XJ seat base. ZJ Grand Cherokee seats are supposed to fit also.

I believe the seats from a '95 will also fit. I think the bar across the floor which separates the early seats from the late seats came into being along with the airbag steering wheel. If it is an XJ with an airbag then the floor mount should be the same.

I think I have read that you can interchange the seat brackets with seats. In other words you could put an early seat on late model brackets or a late model seat on early brackets. Depending on what you can find in what kind of condition you may be able to mix and match to get you where you need to go.

The side bolstering on my driver's seat is starting to go bad. Been thinking of ducking down the PnP (I keep saying that but never do) and looking for a WJ with gray seats and picking up the front set.

I want to pick up a rear seat as well and install that in the back for the 60/40 folding action.

Here it is tough to find any XJ, ZJ, or WJ drivers seat in the PnP! I picked up some seats on CL that I'm pretty sure were ZJ seats for my '96 XJ (could have been a WJ). They didn't come with tracks. My XJ has a power driver's seat and the plugs didn't match, so cut and soldered to match up the switches on the ZJ seat to the XJ motors. I also had to cut down the plastic a bit. The seats are a touch wider, but they fit well enough.

Having a driver's seat that isn't shot is a huge improvement! It was practically like getting new shocks.

Best,

Paul

My 96 XJ has a broken front drivers seat which is rather annoying. So I pulled it out this weekend to see about a temporary weld job to give it better support while I search for a new seat and continue to try to solve my error codes to get this thing to pass emissions checks. Unfortunately, once the seat was out, it definitely looks like these are seats from a parts vehicle (major rust on the seat frame) and are not worth the time to even try to temporarily fix. Also the previous owner snapped one of the rear studs at the floor pan at some point

So my question is what other seats (XJ's or other models) are a direct fit for the XJ? Or where is a recommended supplier to purchase new seats that won't require me to take out a second mortgage on my house.

Is it the seat or the seat base? Where in GA are you?

I believe the seats from a '95 will also fit. I think the bar across the floor which separates the early seats from the late seats came into being along with the airbag steering wheel. If it is an XJ with an airbag then the floor mount should be the same.

I think I have read that you can interchange the seat brackets with seats. In other words you could put an early seat on late model brackets or a late model seat on early brackets. Depending on what you can find in what kind of condition you may be able to mix and match to get you where you need to go.

Yes 95 is the year the seats and steering column changed from the old style. Pretty much 84 - 94 and 95 up are interchangeable.

I just swapped 96 zj seats in my 98 xj just change mounting brackets they fit nice but they do sit a little higher now than what they did before.

Back