• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 rolled cherokee death trap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 96 rolled cherokee build up

I'd also like to note that punctuation is important and angrily spewing broken English at expert fabricators (not me, the other guys) is a great way to look like an ass.
This^
Also, just a side point... you don't have to respond to this one unless you can't argue with the other one... there is a multiquote button for a reason ;)
and this ^

I dig it, looks like a Willy's Jeep :moon:

Nice title change too :thumbup:

0916001832b.jpg

I don't build things half-assed. If there's any building characteristic you can accuse me of, it's overbuilding.

Its really hard to read the above, and then look at that picture with a straight face...but anyway. I have a couple questions.

What are the sleeved/oversized pipes for where they go down to the rockers? What is hanging off the side? Is that a mirror?

To the OP, post up the other pics... im interested in seeing what else is in store. I may even learn something.

Trust me, we've inspected every inch of the unibody of the Jeep, and although it is slightly tweaked from the original accident, it's completely crack and structural weakness free. The only major tweaks are rear of the rear axle. And I will personally stand behind any of the welds on this cage with my reputation. Some people on here have seen my previous work, ask some of them. I don't build things half-assed. If there's any building characteristic you can accuse me of, it's overbuilding.

It doesn't need any current crack currently to be dangerous. Without having any support that body is allowed to twist and bend, which will create failures. The welds are not what is in question with your build either. People are concerned about the materials and structural design. Adding some spreader bars doesn't accomplish much of anything. These pictures show that y'all don't have a thoughtful long term cage designed. If you have some documentation of a cage design, please share it, so we can understand how these bars fit into the "incomplete project".

If you're talking about me, I didn't even bother, and you can verify it by checking who has viewed your profile recently... I merely noticed that you posted like 5 times in a row, each replying to a single post.

Well here's a multi quote for you. :rof:

You're 19!?

Yes, I am 19. And although that puts me in a category which most people assume has no experience, I bought my Cherokee the week after I turned 15, so i have more than 4 years with it, and I bought my second Jeep (a comanche) this year. And i've been welding for about the same amount of time, and i'v had a couple welding jobs already. (yes, even when i wasn't exactly legal for me to be welding)

if the "cage" doesnt kill you the way the shoulder harnesses will. You want them mounted level or a few degrees lower then your shoulders. With the way they are now if he rear ended someone it would compress his spine. I rolled my 96 cherokee too. 5 times actually. I drove it off the trailer the next day.

0916001832b.jpg

Its really hard to read the above, and then look at that picture with a straight face...but anyway. I have a couple questions.

What are the sleeved/oversized pipes for where they go down to the rockers? What is hanging off the side? Is that a mirror?

To the OP, post up the other pics... im interested in seeing what else is in store. I may even learn something.

We'll work on getting the other pics up, i'm kinda busy though. I'm done for the night. Gotta go do some dirtbike riding with the girlfriend... :spin3: and then, late night classes for me....

And ill explain the sleeves and mirrors and all that later.

It doesn't need any current crack currently to be dangerous. Without having any support that body is allowed to twist and bend, which will create failures. The welds are not what is in question with your build either. People are concerned about the materials and structural design. Adding some spreader bars doesn't accomplish much of anything. These pictures show that y'all don't have a thoughtful long term cage designed. If you have some documentation of a cage design, please share it, so we can understand how these bars fit into the "incomplete project".

We have a complete design completed, we'll work on getting one up on here...

This^

and this ^

I dig it, looks like a Willy's Jeep :moon:

Nice title change too :thumbup:

Oh, and I have no idea how the title got changed, neither one of us did it.. oh well, Thanks mystery thread hi-jacker!:kissyou:

if the "cage" doesnt kill you the way the shoulder harnesses will. You want them mounted level or a few degrees lower then your shoulders. With the way they are now if he rear ended someone it would compress his spine. I rolled my 96 cherokee too. 5 times actually. I drove it off the trailer the next day.

Just goes to show how "overbuilt" this project is. Another straight section of pipe and he could have burned in a harness bar, but I guess his buddy's life isn't worth that much.

Oh, and I have no idea how the title got changed, neither one of us did it.. oh well, Thanks mystery thread hi-jacker!:kissyou:

YES! You quoted me finally! I thought you forgot me :rattle:

P.S. - A higher authority may or may not have access to changing the thread title :lecture:

I love cage threads. And xwhatever on setting the safety equipment up correctly at the very least. Back injuries will haunt you for decades, and cost a small fortune.

Just goes to show how "overbuilt" this project is. Another straight section of pipe and he could have burned in a harness bar, but I guess his buddy's life isn't worth that much.

We read through the recommendation for the harness, and this fits well within the recommended boundaries of the angle of the shoulder straps. And does this thing really look like a high speed racing machine thats gonna be doing a lot of 75mph rear-endings?

And we're gonna have a bare behind the seat for the harness, once again: INCOMPLETE PROJECT

I've been meaning to make a cage, great idea using pipe. I might go buy that kind that threads together, you know, like a playground. I can sell bolt in kits!

You should consider PVC. It's plentiful and easy to work with. Not to mention it's light weight so you won't sacrifice fuel economy! :D

Yes, I am 19. And although that puts me in a category which most people assume has no experience, I bought my Cherokee the week after I turned 15, so i have more than 4 years with it, and I bought my second Jeep (a comanche) this year. And i've been welding for about the same amount of time, and i'v had a couple welding jobs already. (yes, even when i wasn't exactly legal for me to be welding)

Don't think anyone's really doubting your welding skills, more so the design (or lack there of with the information given).

no but even a slow roll can have big forces. When i rolled mine i was going around 25 or 30. rolled five times. I was still very sore from the big forces that were created from the roll. Whatever not my life. 1 less moron in the industry

We read through the recommendation for the harness, and this fits well within the recommended boundaries of the angle of the shoulder straps. And does this thing really look like a high speed racing machine thats gonna be doing a lot of 75mph rear-endings?

And we're gonna have a bare behind the seat for the harness, once again: INCOMPLETE PROJECT

You really think it takes 75mph collision to kill somebody that has an improper restraint? Didn't the XJ wind up in this mess because of a MVA?

Your incomplete project arguement was thrown out the window when he drove it to school everyday, and I'm assuming still does until winter arrives.

I bought my jeep when i was 15 also and have been welding since. I've been building this since. THE RIGHT WAY. I'm 19 now also.
IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

oh and heres my other jeep i rolled
38444_142936512399897_100000506461993_367487_2959918_n-1.jpg

I'm amused by the fact that the trim piece under the rear hatch latch striker is still in place.

What really scares me is those wacky plates welded to the rockers that the poop pipe is welded to.

I don't know if this has been covered but...

It'll fold like a Taco!!!

:)

I am not complaining, I am telling you that you are still doing something that is a bad idea. Again, whether you are going to drive it right now or not doesn't affect whether this is a bad idea or not, no cage at all is just as good an idea using your "I'm not driving it right now so it's OK" logic.

However, I find your attitude extremely annoying so I guess I'll stop "complaining" about it. Feel free to keep your deathtrap cage and drive it as much as you want, happy with it till you roll... you dying is really no skin off my back I guess.

Oh, and since you don't like my input I guess I won't comment on your threads in the future either :) hope someone else feels like giving you free tech advice.
look seriously Kastein do what you said you were going to do on page three of MY forum and stop commenting safe yourself the trouble. and go arm chair fabricate someone elses project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back