• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 fuel pump

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
after putting gas in today, i started it then it died. Checked for spark and definatley getting spark off the coil. the pump is not cutting on with the key. pouring sea foam into the TB got it running good. IF this is not a relay problem(im gonna check tomarrow), how hard is it to change the pump on a 96.( side of the tank right over the diff towards the front) im pretty sure i dont have to drop the tank like i did on the 93 YJ. Also whats the usual life on a fuel pump for these things? any other sensors i should look at? thanks guys

ryan

You don,t have to drop the tank.My 96 has had 2 pumps in 233000 miles.both have been re-mans from the jeep dealer.Less than a hour job,helps if the tank is not full of gas.
Wayne

damnit i put 13 gallons in after E, is it gonna spill out? i can compfortably get to it, with myamount of lift. should i not get a new or reman from the local stores or NAPA? thanks

just read some articles. apparently there was a recall on some aftermarket pumps. andthis is not an uncommon problem on jeeps. i want to make sure i get the updated version. also read about dirty tanks causing them to go bad, then continuing to make them go bad. and that this could cause the injectors to be clogged, bc of the returnless. 130K on the clock, only use seafoam in the tank varely, and varely lucas fuel treat.

should i also get the bracket and strainer?

Last edited:
Over half full,YES i,d say you need to pump some out.Mine sits at 4"plus and has a tank skid and there was no problem removing the pump.
You want the whole unit,pump,filter,pressure reg and fuel level sender,NOT just a pump.Re-man from Jeep Dealer was in the $ 300 range.
Wayne
PS-you may get the pump to run if you wack the tank near the pump with a non-sparking tool,jar it real good and the pump may run enough to pump some fuel out.

I replaced my fuel pump module last Saturday with a new Airtex fuel module. I will be replacing the Airtex this Saturday with a new Bosch fuel pump module. I didn’t luck out with the Airtex. It leaks badly around the electrical feed-through so I will get a refund. The pump makes so much noise you can hear it above the AC. The unit comes with a gasket instead of an o-ring. It’s a total piece of crap.

I finally found a Bosch module at Auto Zone for $168. The Bosch pump alone is $105. The Airtex cost $160. Jeep dealer cost for the Bosch module is $364.

I really hope I luck out with this new Bosch. I can’t seem to buy anything that is any good first time around.
tipshades.gif

Ok, just for a search update,

I changed it out with a complete OE napa assembly. now primes and starts fine. The numbers on the wire harness both matched. only about 1 gallon of fuel came out, and i caught it in a bucket. Ill report back if it gives me any trouble, thanks for the help. im glad i got the complete instead of just the pump. Dealer wanted 500, 400 from Advance, and the napa OE chrysler was 250 :)

Hey, just thought I'd check in and see if you had an update on how your jeep was running.

I'm a little bit nervous that NAPA lists their '96 fuel pump as a 43lb pump, but their '97 pump as 50lb.

Comparing that info to the fuel pressure info on Dino's stroker page
http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html
...it looks like '96 should get the 50lb pump.

So is NAPA's pump 50lb and mis-labeled as 43.5lb, or is it really a 43.5lb pump - and what is it really supposed to be?

Did you happen to write down the number on the harness?

Thanks for taking a look for me .. You think there was a chance you misread the last digit, or that there are two separate part numbers? :D

I looked the part number up with trademotion and didn't find anything. I wonder if BE is for "Bosch Electronic"

I'll keep searching for a cross reference.

In the meantime, at least I discovered that no matter what obscure bastard year crap Chrysler did to the pump on the '96, at least it still has the old style (no drop) tank

The parts catalog indicates 2 possible pumps used in '96
One, listed for "XJ" which include the cherokee sport, cherokee SE and cherokee country, indicates a built-in FPR (which is correct) is # 4798 941

There's another listing for a part XJ, X1, which would seem to be for a non-SE, non-sport, non-country cherokee, which is # 5210 0109 and was also used in the 1995 X1 manuf after 6-12-95. The X1 thing confuses me. I think the best action is to just ignore it :D

Last edited:
ahhh your right, i did indeed mis read it. the middle line in the last 8 is smudged

322388, tank looks the same.

has your pump went out?

skyjackedxj96 said:
ahhh your right, i did indeed mis read it. the middle line in the last 8 is smudged

322388, tank looks the same.

has your pump went out?

Fortunately, not yet. But I'm getting stumbling and even stalled once. A lot of other things that I need to rule out before the fuel pump, but I've got a road trip to NY in 3 weeks, so I want to have my ducks in a rowso that if it does end up being the fuel pump I can get it done in one day instead of coming here and posting "Pleeeeeease help me find the right part - I have to leave in 2 hours!" :)

Also, now that it turns out that it's only a 43 lb pump, I'm going to have to figure out what my replacement injectors are doing. I replaced them figuring on the pump being 49 lbs, iirc

i was getting some stuttering problems before mine went out. rpms would drop and almost stall. i cant say it was the fuel pump, but it hasnt done it since i put the new unit in. Just make sure you get the whole unit, not just the pump.

Well it looks like you got in under the gun.

I ordered the pump/sending unit/bracket/strainer combo P74896S from NAPA on Tuesday.

The distributor sent my store P76040, which is pump and strainer only, to supercede the old part number. :mad:

What's the trick to seating the sending unit?. I spent 4 hours today trying to install a MOPAR remanufactured unit from Airpark Chrysler in my 96 XJ. It appears that the rubber plug on the tube is not seating in the right spot inside the tank. I am stumped. Dimensionally, everything seems to be the same between the old and new unit. I had to remove the rubber plug from the tank for the old sending unit. It slipped off the tube during removal. Could the o-ring be slightly swelled from the old unit? and causing the problem? Would some gasket cement help in positioning the o-ring so it doesn't slide around? A new o-ring was not supplied with the new sending unit. Everything looks fine inside and out. I replaced a sending unit on my 90 XJ two years ago and it seemed to fall right into place.

after i fished the whole unit into the side of the tank, i had to push hard on the top of it while a friend turned the lock ring. it certainly did not fall into place. i used a screwdriver with duct tape on the end, to prevent any sparkings.

Back