• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ Power Windows not working, seeking help.

beedee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I picked up my XJ about two weeks ago and the front passenger and left rear power windows don't work.

Anyone in the LA, Long Beach or North OC area with experience fixing the power windows on a 93 XJ? I have checked and cleaned the contacts on the switch itself, but that didn't work. Not sure if there is a broken wire or what. I've read up on it and see there are a few possibilities of what could be wrong but I am not that comfortable messing with electrical stuff.

Local shop in Huntington Beach wants $350 to fix the non-working front passenger one and an additional $290 for the left rear non-functioning one. Was hoping someone here might have experience and be able to help? I have no problem paying you for your time, just trying to avoid a nearly $700 repair bill.

Thanks!

First, with any XJ electrical problem, check your grounds.

It could be the switch in each door, or the "master" switch in the drivers door. To check those and the wiring you just need a test light, although a multimeter would be better. The FSM would have all the wiring diagrams, but for the windows it should be pretty obvious which ones to check.

$350 + $290 is at least $640 more than I would charge, but that is why I don't earn a living as a mechanic. If you want some people to come over and help fix it, buy a case of decent beer and throw a wrenching party. Most of the people that show up will only be there to eat free pizza and drink free beer, but at least 1 or 2 people will help you fix your windows.

First, with any XJ electrical problem, check your grounds.

It could be the switch in each door, or the "master" switch in the drivers door. To check those and the wiring you just need a test light, although a multimeter would be better. The FSM would have all the wiring diagrams, but for the windows it should be pretty obvious which ones to check.

$350 + $290 is at least $640 more than I would charge, but that is why I don't earn a living as a mechanic. If you want some people to come over and help fix it, buy a case of decent beer and throw a wrenching party. Most of the people that show up will only be there to eat free pizza and drink free beer, but at least 1 or 2 people will help you fix your windows.

Thanks. I am going to buy a test light and a multimeter today after work. I don't know anything about electrical so Im not sure of where to look when checking for grounds. I'll research that some more today. I have also found a great video of a guy testing the switch panel on a 95 with a multimeter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX0HnZpG1zc

I found this wiring diagram yesterday:
http://www.alarmsellout.com/support/diagrams/vehicle/JEEP CHEROKEE 1991-2001.pdf

in my ZJ, it was both the driver's switches and the switch on the door that was the culprit. If i slapped them a few times they'd work. You can try pulling the door panel and cleaning the terminals on the plug and plugging them back in. That seemed to work for mine. Worse case, get some new switches and swap them yourself. It's literally one of the easiest repairs.

Thanks Van. I picked up a test light, multimeter and electrical cleaner last night. I'm going to take a look at them this weekend and see whats what. I'll report back what I find out, hopefully it is just a matter of cleaning up the contacts on the switches!

Back