• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 with ABS problem... (creating one)

falcon556 said:
Now, I'd like you t tell me everything you know about D44 brake and ABS conversions.
Thanks.

Basically it is the same thing as putting ZJ disc and ABS on an XJ D35. Press off tone ring, have it machines out a bit, press it back on D44 shafts.

It finished. And it works! Took it out for a short drive. No weird noises and ABS kicks in and no ABS light on. I'll eventually do a short write up.

Since there are people intrested in putting ABS on an axle I have a writeup on putting ABS Discs on my XJ D35. If anyone wants it PM me your email addy.

-Chris

I would like to use ZJ aluminum D44 axleshafts in a XJ steel D44 axle which I think can be done
RCP Phx said:
I want to see these!:roll:

OK, Let me refrase it. I would like to use the steel shafts from a ZJ D44a with the aluminum housing....
I hope you didn't think that I meant aluminum shafts :D

mjma said:
I guess that would work. But, keep in mind, if you wanted ABS in an XJ, you got the D35 instead of the 8.25. Do you really need ABS?? If so, why not just keep it up front, if that can be done?

If that were my jeep I'd ditch the ABS.

I wouldn't. Whether you like it or not, the insurance companies do. If you deactivate it and you tell them, your rates may go up. If you have an accident and it is your fault the other guy's lawyer will have a ball if he finds out that your ABS was purposely deactivated.
That's the way I see it. I've been a juror in a few cases and if I learned one thing, it is not to trust the system.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
just a little bit

You see, this is very confusing. If you had used D35 parts, then it would make sense to enlarge the center hole a bit to match the 8.25.
You said that you used D44 parts. It seems to me that the D44 should have a larger axle tube than the 8.25, and no grinding should be necessary.
On the other hand, the 4 mounting holes should be mismatched.
Are you sure you didn't use D35 parts?

i pulled my disc brakes off of a 44 and they fit my 35

falcon556 said:
Are you sure you didn't use D35 parts?

red_01_xj said:
i pulled my disc brakes off of a 44 and they fit my 35

^ What he said. Oh, and BTW: D44's have smaller axle tubes than an 8.25. Bolt holes lined up just fine, just ground out the center a tiny bit, mostly to clear the rust on the outer axle tube.

ABS in my opinion should stand for All Bu** S*** you don't need it if you know how to drive. it's a dummy feature. i would not want abs on my XJ

91 Jeep Project said:
No it shouldn't. 8.25 = 3" Tube OD, 44 = 2.75" Tube OD.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technica...rDiscsOnXJ/images/large/ZJrearDiscsOnXJ07.jpg
I went by these numbers. I was under the impression that from D35 to 8.25
the 4 attach holes were a match, from D35 to D44 the 4 holes had to be redrilled. That would mean that from D44 to 8.25 they should be redrilled.
Obviously I made a mistake somewhere. I am looking for the article of the guy with the 8.25 that used D35 parts.

falcon556 said:
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technica...rDiscsOnXJ/images/large/ZJrearDiscsOnXJ07.jpg
I went by these numbers. I was under the impression that from D35 to 8.25
the 4 attach holes were a match, from D35 to D44 the 4 holes had to be redrilled. That would mean that from D44 to 8.25 they should be redrilled.
Obviously I made a mistake somewhere. I am looking for the article of the guy with the 8.25 that used D35 parts.

TJ D44s are a 44 center section with D35 tubes. So the ends have that same D35 pattern.

just for some more information for those trying to attempt the abs on the 8.25, the libberty 8.25 is set up like the Dakotas, and on that note im not sure if the senors would like it if there were spilces together...

red_01_xj said:
just for some more information for those trying to attempt the abs on the 8.25, the libberty 8.25 is set up like the Dakotas, and on that note im not sure if the senors would like it if there were spilces together...

They would be seeing the same rotation when there is traction. However, is the tone ring on the liberty (between the carrier and the ring gear if it is like other systems I have seen) the same tooth count as the ones on the XJ? Also, the XJ 8.25 has the spot to mount the sensor, but it isn't drilled out. As for the carrier and tone ring, I wonder what the difference there are with that.

The next question is what happens when the ABS computer sees wheel slippage in the rear? Since there is only one brake fluid pipe going to the rear the modulating wouldn't be an issue, its how it would interpret that slippage.

Another posibility is to swap in a ABS module from a Liberty once you have the tone ring, axle ABS sensor and carrier take care of.

-Chris

Talyn said:
The next question is what happens when the ABS computer sees wheel slippage in the rear? Since there is only one brake fluid pipe going to the rear the modulating wouldn't be an issue, its how it would interpret that slippage.-Chris

In the XJ the two rear brakes are seen as two brakes but they are treated as a single when it releases pressure. My rear sensors and rings are not original. The rings have the same tooth count as original.

BTW I just got an email from Currie, they can build a D44 for me, but I will have to deactivate my ABS.
When I get ready for one I think I'll figure a way to do both.

falcon556 said:
BTW I just got an email from Currie, they can build a D44 for me, but I will have to deactivate my ABS.
When I get ready for one I think I'll figure a way to do both.

Easy. Put ZJ discs on it, cut the axle flange for the sensor. Press off the ZJ ABS tone rings from the shafts, open them up a bit, press them on the D44 shafts. I can't believe Currie doesn't know how to do that. I guess there isn't much of a demand for it.

-Chris

Talyn said:
Easy. Put ZJ discs on it, cut the axle flange for the sensor. Press off the ZJ ABS tone rings from the shafts, open them up a bit, press them on the D44 shafts. I can't believe Currie doesn't know how to do that. I guess there isn't much of a demand for it.

-Chris

Chris, this is exactly what I was thinking. Do you know anybody who has actually done it?

Back