• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 detroit locker

Haha, no I didn't copy off of any website. I use them in my race vehicle and my last and current axles in my XJ. I'll admit though, the last time I bought them was about 3 years ago. I did not know that they were not the same as the ones I use. I use them because they "give" a little more rather than breaking under high stress applications and they were US made. Now where are they made? Is it India steel like a lot of stuff now a days?

And I would consider the power after the gear reduction in the transfer case a high torque application. It certainly is higher than without it. I just like to over build things so I don't break anything.

Last edited:
I would assume, but then most of what Richmond sold was the same India gears too. Pretty much everyones gears have come out of the same factory for most of a decade, regardless of what people tell each other.

Yea, I guess anything is possible. Well, I haven't broken anything yet, knock on wood, so I guess that's something. If they wouldn't tax us to death, we wouldn't have these industries going off shore. Hopefully that will change some day.

I still in favor of the detroit in the rear, but does anyone have any more opinion on perhaps saving some money initially and putting say a power trax no slip in the front axle?

FYI axles are stock

I think that is a smart way to go. The lunchbox will be invisible on the street in 2wd, but the rear won't, so it would be nicer to have the smooth Detroit in back.

Know that if you have lower gears, putting an auto locker in a d30 requires pulling the ring gear off, so it is about as labor intensive as doing a full case.

Paul

For now i will concentrate on the rear locker and perhaps gears. realistically my tire size would be max 33 for now. I have 3.73 auto if i went past 4.10 to 4.56 would i be hating driving on say 32"s.

For now i will concentrate on the rear locker and perhaps gears. realistically my tire size would be max 33 for now. I have 3.73 auto if i went past 4.10 to 4.56 would i be hating driving on say 32"s.

If you are going to 33's, definitely go with at least the 4.56. I was running 4.10's with 33's and it is just too much strain on the engine. Always down shifting, struggles to hold speed on the highway, borderline overheating, sometimes actually overheating, overheating the trans, foot to the floor waaayyy too much, etc... Depending on how much you wheel, you could even go with 4.88's. I went with 4.88's and it was the best decision ever. The difference in rpm at 65 mph between 33's with 4.10 to 4.88 is only 500 rpm which with overdrive (at .71 if I remember correctly for the AW4) works out to be 2293 rpm at 65 mph.

The only drawback is if you are running the 30 in the front, with 4.88's, you really should get a full carrier like the trutrak or others. With the 4.88's, the pinion gear is so small, that with the stock carrier, I have heard that they eat teeth easily.

Last edited:
If you are going to 33's, definitely go with at least the 4.56. I was running 4.10's with 33's and it is just too much strain on the engine. Always down shifting, struggles to hold speed on the highway, borderline overheating, foot to the floor waaayyy too much, etc... Depending on how much you wheel, you could even go with 4.88's. I went with 4.88's and it was the best decision ever.

The only drawback is if you are running the 30 in the front, with 4.88's, you would need to get a full carrier like the trutrak or others. With the 4.88's, the pinion gear is so small, that with the stock carrier, they eat teeth easily.

I really like my 4.88's and I know people complain about them grenading a D30 but I haven't had any issues yet. I love to bomb up and down the trails but when it comes to crawling, I take it easy and don't like to spin the wheels. I'll admit that if I had the budget, I would absolutely get a full case locker but for most of the last year I've beat the hell out of it and it's shown no symptoms.

I know, YMMV. I have heard of it happening but I have not experienced it myself either. I just threw it out there to be cautious. I have heard of Dana 35's blowing up just by looking at them or while they are parked but I have been running a 35 with stock axles, 4.10's, and a Detroit locker for many years with no problems. I think it boils down to how the person drives. I edited the above post to further clarify.

Last edited:
hey jeepers

just wondering as ive been wheeling lately, does the locker help the jeep go off the line in town so far as planting power to traction. i bet we all know the feeling on the trail of ( if i was locked this obstacle wouldnt be an issue).
its just a curious thought, im not going mad pizza boy as others have mentioned hahaha.

If you have the trouble of 1 tire spinning when you stomp on the go pedal, then yes, it helps a lot.

hey jeepers

just wondering as ive been wheeling lately, does the locker help the jeep go off the line in town so far as planting power to traction. i bet we all know the feeling on the trail of ( if i was locked this obstacle wouldnt be an issue).
its just a curious thought, im not going mad pizza boy as others have mentioned hahaha.

Who has traction issues off the line with the 4.0? Lol

lol no traction issues but isnt one tire being given the majority of power? hense i assume an auto locker will dispense power better. regardless I went to telluride recently and have been having overdrive issues as it shifts above 2500 often on up steep and high elevated roads.

Does anyone think this fighting on off OD would make an auto locker unsafe?

My XJ has ARB's front/rear but my TJ has a Detroit in the rear and I love it. It definitely drives weird and makes noises when turning but you get used to it very fast. I'm sure it's a lot less noticeable on a longer wheelbase XJ.

lol no traction issues but isnt one tire being given the majority of power? hense i assume an auto locker will dispense power better. regardless I went to telluride recently and have been having overdrive issues as it shifts above 2500 often on up steep and high elevated roads.

Does anyone think this fighting on off OD would make an auto locker unsafe?

To address your "overdrive issues" you should just put your shifter on "3" instead of "D". Doing so will make your transmission happy by preventing excessive shifting. The frequency with which gears are shifted has very little or nothing to do with the suitability of using an auto locker, as far as I can see.

often i use 3rd, my concern with the OD issue was the auto locker throwing people into another lane rumor.
if i get a sudden jolt from OD i was concerned with it possibly causing the jeep to jump lanes, or is this impractical?

often i use 3rd, my concern with the OD issue was the auto locker throwing people into another lane rumor.
if i get a sudden jolt from OD i was concerned with it possibly causing the jeep to jump lanes, or is this impractical?

Absolute rumor.

I go in between driving a stock XJ then my XJ with lunch box lockers often and the only thing that is an obvious difference is the noise and an occasional pop.

After reading this entire thread I only see this ending one way. ARB Locker front and rear 4.56 gears for your future 33" tires.

Sounds like the characteristics of an auto locker have you shaking in your pants :wow:

I have experience with this. It's not the OD that does it, that is just a coincidence. When I first got the Detroits, the paperwork that comes with it states that you must have the same size tire on the axle containing the locker and the air pressure must be the same. Well, I ignored this. Then I was driving on the highway and heard a bang and the ass end scooted over a bit, scared the s#*t outta me. It didn't go a lane over, just a couple of inches but it startled me because I wasn't expecting it. I didn't have the same air pressure in the tires. My fault. The locker unlocked then locked again because with the different pressures in both tires it effectively was 2 different diameters. the locker sensed this and did the unlock/lock thing. Nothing harmed, but lesson learned. I keep an eye on the pressures and have not had it happen again. As long as the pressure is within a couple of pounds, you're fine.

Jumping lanes is indeed impractical and I doubt anyone here would advise doing so.

Back