• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd question

2000xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so when I shift from 4HI to 2HI I can feel that four wheel drive disengages, but I can still quietly hear something rotating. For example pulling back onto the street I can feel that there is no binding or anything but as I get up to speed I can still hear something near the transfer case rotating than after a little bit (maybe 30 seconds to a minute later) the sound stops. It doesn't seem like anything is wrong, I'm just kind of curious as to what is going on. This is on a 2000 xj w/ np231, three inches of lift, and 31's if that matters.

Thanks
Chris

2000xjclassic said:
Ok so when I shift from 4HI to 2HI I can feel that four wheel drive disengages, but I can still quietly hear something rotating. For example pulling back onto the street I can feel that there is no binding or anything but as I get up to speed I can still hear something near the transfer case rotating than after a little bit (maybe 30 seconds to a minute later) the sound stops. It doesn't seem like anything is wrong, I'm just kind of curious as to what is going on. This is on a 2000 xj w/ np231, three inches of lift, and 31's if that matters.

Thanks
Chris
You maybe hearing things because everything in the transfer case rotates all the time anyway!

my Xj seems to bind a little wether its in 4 wheel or not. i know the transfer case has disengaged but all the time when i take turns sharp, into parking spaces etc, i hear wheel hop and it binds a little , do all of them do this because the front axle is always engaged or is this a problem, diff fluid in the front is fine too i ckecked it the other day

maine96xj said:
anybody have input on the binding up a little in 2hi

If you are experiencing binding in 2wd, then you have a problem.

I would check the fluid in the tcase just to be safe, but for some reason this is making me think you have a u-joint (or more than one) going bad.

I have a similar thing, a wheel will sort of jump when making tight turns in 2wd into a parking spot or whatever. I know my wheel bearing is making noise and the U joints have some play, so I'm pretty sure it's all related!

maine96xj said:
which u joints going bad do you think would cause this?

It's hard to say. Do a search on here for "testing u-joints", and go out and test them to see which ones it might be.

99XJSPORT06 said:
It's hard to say. Do a search on here for "testing u-joints", and go out and test them to see which ones it might be.
there's no real test.take em' of and spin the caps.if they don't spin freely,replace.don't use the cheapo's either.go to a driveshaft comp. or napa.

I have almost NO experience with 4WD, so take this with a grain of salt.

PRE-LOAD, maybe that has some effect. When in 4WD, your driving the front drivetrain, that means the driveshaft out of the XFER case on is now applying torque to the wheels. Any slack in the system is taken up and everything is twisted with the drive/torque coming from the XFER case.

Shift out of 4WD and go into 2WD, the wheels spinning on the road now applies the torque to the rest of the drivetrain up to the XFER case. The PRE-LOAD is now reversed. All the slack in the system is taken up in the opposite direction as the torque is applied in the opposite direction.

There are a lot of gears and u-joints in the drivetrain to make some slack, I would think this would happen in a matter of a seconds. BUT, maybe not, thick oil, warm parts, LSD, may offer some resistance and the slack reverses slowly over 30 seconds are so. The PRE-LOAD can change the noise from gears and joints quite a bit.

The tire chirping in tight turn in Parking lots, I'd agree, check your U-Joints, they could bind some and be the cause. BUT, do you have a Limited Slip Differential (LSD)? That may also be part of it, extremly slow speed at extreme tight turns, the LSD may make more resistance than the tires and thus make the tires slip a bit.

2000xjclassic said:

Thanks
Chris
Let's keep it simple, is the shifter linkage setup correctly.
You say it is lifted, did you do a TC drop? That will change the angle and adjustment to your 4WD linkage.

Normally, I shift into 2WD BEFORE I get onto pavement. Then, I let up on the gas so the gears can get unmeshed. Then, I will load up on it. By the time I get to pavement, I know it is out of 4HI....

Hope this helps..

AlohaBra said:
Let's keep it simple, is the shifter linkage setup correctly.
You say it is lifted, did you do a TC drop? That will change the angle and adjustment to your 4WD linkage.

Normally, I shift into 2WD BEFORE I get onto pavement. Then, I let up on the gas so the gears can get unmeshed. Then, I will load up on it. By the time I get to pavement, I know it is out of 4HI....

Hope this helps..

x2

If you didn't drop the T-Case with the lift, that will be an issue, also I work for Castrol and know a bit about LSD... I'd try going and purchasing some RedLine Limited Slip Additive, and putting in int he front Diff. Also you should be using a Synthetic 75-90w gear oil, not the cheap 80-90w conventional gear oil. The Synthetic has limited slip already added, but i'd put an extra small bottle in just to make sure.

maine96xj said:
so the front diff is limited slip? in the dana 30

Not in stock form. I don't even know of any XJ's with the factory Trak-Loc in the rear, though it may have been available. All the ones I've seen or heard of are open front and rear from the factory.

Here's another thought about the tight turn low speed wheel hop. My XJ did this for years after I bought it. It turned out to be an alignment thing. I didn't notice it at all at high speeds because the wheel was never turned that much. But when it was, like when pulling into parking spaces and expecially in rough parking lots with a little but of loose gravel, there was tire chirp and a jump as one tire would finally slip much like if 4wd was still engaged even though I was in 2wd. So, if you are concerned about trying to figure out about ubolts, consider an alignment if it's been a long time. That might take care of it.

Like I said I get a hop or whatever at full lock tight turns. But I got an alignment too just to be sure. He said all it needed was a slight adjustment, but the hop/bind/whatever is still there.....

Back