• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 link ?s

it was a point i was triing to prove if im going to cut and weld stuff to get flex out of some leafs why not just do the 4 link

OK, just do it then.

So which way are you going to go, having rock anchors for lower mounts and ending up with a low roll center, low antisquat, and inclined roll axis, or are you going to cut through the floor and have the link mounts in the cab, but get a better roll center and AS values?

Do you have a plan for countering roll while maintaining balanced flex? Any idea what your target spring rate is, and what kind of damping/travel ratio you're going to run on the shocks? What height do you want to end up with?

And of course the obvious...how do you plan on effectively connecting link mounts to sheet metal, and also supporting the new spring mount area well enough so it doesn't destroy the frame rails and floor? Not to mention the gas tank and exhaust routing.

Or, I guess you could just do it, and see what happens.

vetteboy said:
OK, just do it then.

So which way are you going to go, having rock anchors for lower mounts and ending up with a low roll center, low antisquat, and inclined roll axis, or are you going to cut through the floor and have the link mounts in the cab, but get a better roll center and AS values?

Do you have a plan for countering roll while maintaining balanced flex? Any idea what your target spring rate is, and what kind of damping/travel ratio you're going to run on the shocks? What height do you want to end up with?

And of course the obvious...how do you plan on effectively connecting link mounts to sheet metal, and also supporting the new spring mount area well enough so it doesn't destroy the frame rails and floor? Not to mention the gas tank and exhaust routing.

Or, I guess you could just do it, and see what happens.

I'm guessing your NOT going to get your answer on this! ;)

:geek:

HMGanja said:
Why do some people have to be A$$holes?

X2

Will someone just HELP HIM??? He didn't ask if a 4-link was better than leafs... He asked for opinions on a good 4-link setup. He wants a better performing rig, so instead of being an asshole, why don't you help him with his setup?:gonnablow

tayman said:
X2

Will someone just HELP HIM??? He didn't ask if a 4-link was better than leafs... He asked for opinions on a good 4-link setup. He wants a better performing rig, so instead of being an asshole, why don't you help him with his setup?:gonnablow

Huh?
He did get help.
The only assholes I see in this thread are you and the poster above you.

Jes said:
Huh?
He did get help.
The only assholes I see in this thread are you and the poster above you.

oh right... being told to not do something you want to do is getting help with your project...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939920

I might have seen one kit that was a rear 4 link... If you want to do it its going to require a lot of fab. You can probably find a rear 4 link calculator online (I know I have 3 and 4 link front suspension calculators I've found on this board) so you can get your geometry right. But I think its something you have to dive into.

Suspension Geometry
--What vetteboy was talking about, antisquat, rollcenter, etc.
Moving things out of your way/Relocating
--gas tank, exhaust, shock placement, link placement
Shock/spring choices
--air shock, coilover.. I dont even know.

There isnt going to be some general easy setup, or general best setup. If you're going to put the work in to 4 link it, you may as well make it the best setup FOR YOU.

HMGanja said:
Why do some people have to be A$$holes?

Vetteboy just asked some serious questions about which way he wants to go. Without knowing these types of things, how can anyone answer his questions?

Just throw the RK or Clayton kit on and call it good.:wave:

here is alittle help: you want te links to be about the same distance apart if you have say 8" between your upper and lower link on the axlethen you wantthe same distance on the other end you will have to truss the rear axle and put your upper mounts on top in the center section and have them trianglate to the fram rails you will hve to plate your frame rails on both sides and fab a crossmember to attach your links to the upper links you want 70% shorter than te lowers when you trianglate. have to figure if you want johnny joints or hiems joints for a dd i would do johnny joints to figure your spring rate, weight the back of your xj with your normal payload and figure your springs compressed height and call a spring manufactor and give them the info they will help you with the springs you need. you can go on extream 4x4 website tey have a 4 link calc. its a lot of work toget it dialed in i did my s10 but its for drag raceing.

im not even gonna do the 4 link im gonna pay a shop to do it.. all i wanted was a straight answer besides the guy thats gonna get my money. im sure he will tell me whatever i want to hear to make some money. if you didnt like the op dont even answer. why waste your time.

thanks from the people that did help

a lot of it seems to be personal preference.

some people go all leafs some people go all coiled

I could see you wanting it for desert romping but unless you are ready to have serious cutting of the body i dont really see how ou could gain that much up travel by switching to coils

look at what the jeepspeed guys are doing over in advanced fab

600dollarxj said:
Is this Pirate4x4?

They would be very angry at you for saying that..

But no, the only pirates on here are Butt-Pirates like Grimm and Lowrange2

Back