• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37's on D44 or D60

Jes said:
Hey, that's one of them funky splined D30 shafts.
I've only seen those in a few XJs.

I started cussing (I do it well) about those shitty super joints and I here this quite voice in the background. "Actually, I didn't quite get those installed yet." He almost got two spankings for his birthday.

hightimes2 said:
carnage canyon in boulder, spring creek, wheeler lake, Old chinamans culch

I ran the entire Chinamans Gulch trail in 2wd. It's not 8+ in 2wd let alone 4wd. If that's an 8 then Die Trying in Montrose is a 25.

Kudos to you, though, for having an easy right foot. Some are able to do that and some aren't.

That's funny, all those trails would rate about a 5 on a 1-10 scale in my book. Yes I've run all of them many, many times.

Lincoln, I'll get back with you on the eaton theory. I've got one sitting out back and I'm pretty sure it's going to go into a full on rock bus w a big block in it. That axle is super stout, especially for its weight. I don't know if you've actually put one of those shafts in your hand, but they are massive on a visual standpoint. The southern boys with the super heavy hybrids running on 44's and massive powerplants love that axle. And don't give me the slippery rocks crap cuz when you're running up lower 2 at WOT and not getting the snappy snappy, you're running one hell of an axle.

OneTonXJ said:
Lincoln, I'll get back with you on the eaton theory. I've got one sitting out back and I'm pretty sure it's going to go into a full on rock bus w a big block in it. That axle is super stout, especially for its weight. I don't know if you've actually put one of those shafts in your hand, but they are massive on a visual standpoint. The southern boys with the super heavy hybrids running on 44's and massive powerplants love that axle. And don't give me the slippery rocks crap cuz when you're running up lower 2 at WOT and not getting the snappy snappy, you're running one hell of an axle.

It's been 15 years or better since I've seen one and that was pre big arse tires and crawling around here. Saw one with that the splines sheered off of. The shafts are definately massive but I don't like the super corse splines. Also parts were non existant so when they broke they were swapped out. To bad they didn't hold their size even down the whole shaft, that would be cool.

I can't trust your opinion either. Nother web wheeler. We know you've only seen lower 2 in your wet dreams. :D

For an ongoing arguement to the eaton axle useage. 14bolt guts swap into this housing. So, now I've got a stamped steel housing (read: light) that I can put 14 bolt junk into (read: incredibly strong).

Parts aren't easy to come by, but they aren't hard either. The bearings are still available. I'm sure you'd have to look for a carrier, but if you're going the 14B route.....

My eaton has the diff cover on the back. While this may be the weaker housing, I still don't consider it to be weak at all. Plus I can pop the cover to inspect my gear oil, or lack thereof. Hell, Hinkley could pop the cover to find out if his arb is hooked up correctly :wave:

So why hasn't anyone asked for a 40spl 14B detroit/arb/ox.......

Eatons are everywhere around these parts, you can't help but go to a bone yard and trip over several of them, nice thing is they will just about give them away. I put 35 spline chromo shafts in my 9" and they appeared to be the same size as a 14bolt shaft, I don't have any worries and wont be carring spares or a boat anchor axle around in the rear.

Goatman said:
I ran the entire Chinamans Gulch trail in 2wd. It's not 8+ in 2wd let alone 4wd. If that's an 8 then Die Trying in Montrose is a 25.

Kudos to you, though, for having an easy right foot. Some are able to do that and some aren't.

sorry I didn't mean to imply chinamans was an 8 or higher. I'm a little :dunce: sometimes. Like I said in an earlier post I know the 30's are not the greatest axles out there but if all you are worried about is breaking shafts I see no reason to upgrade to a 44. If plans go through like they should I will be running Indy and Montrose this summer and I will see how the 30 holds up :wave:

If you swap the 14 bolt carrier in I can see a pretty damn decent axle. Housing stregth is non issue. All of the rigs I've seen them break in were wood haulers and ranch pickups. They were either hauling or towing heavy load all the time which. Might have been just shaft fatigue. I don't recall ever seeing a bent housing.

I thought about it today and I might still have a shaft laying around at my parents. I used to make chisels out of the broke ones for breaking up rock for fence posts. 2 ton shafts held up better so they might be all gone. FYI, I'm going to look.

So who out there has upgraded to 37"s since the last post a few months ago? Have any of you finished your projects and gotten them out on the trail yet?

:wave:

I'm running a Warn longside inner axle shaft, and the rest are Yukons with Longfield u-joints and an Aussie locker. I've run the Rubicon a couple of times with no problems. I plan on going to an ARB front and swapping out the Yukons with Warns and carrying the Yukons as spares. If money allows, I'd also like to get CTM's or the new Longfield joints.

I've had zero problems, but I still wheel it like I've got the D30 in the front. I'll take a hard line, but I'm very ginger with the throttle. That's also b/c I'm still running the 30 spline 44 in the rear. That will be gone the first week of October :)

In reality, my standard 37 MTR's don't look much, if any, bigger than Jes' metric 35 MTR's.

There are so many variables to breakage and component reliability that I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to run whatever axle tire size combo I want. BUT, if I do break, I'm determined not to be "that guy" bummin' parts off of other people and blocking the trail with my crap that I don't know how to fix. Compentcy and preparedness cover over a multitude of sins...

People have different goals with their rig build-ups. For some it's super stout, for some it's super cheap, for others it's to impress the others. As for me, I've always had an overarching theme no matter what I was driving or working on - which is to be as self sufficient as possible. Have I needed help, yes. Have I given help - you bet. But with that mind-set, it sure makes wheeling more fun - not only for me, but for those I'm with also.

Whew, okay I've just stepped down from my soapbox and I'm off to my day job... :laugh3:

I think the real trick will be getting the warm hubs to hold up. I already busted one last weekend. The warns look like junk on the inside, and they are the premium ones. I might go back to the stock Fords. It looks like they have alot more beef.

David Taylor said:
I think the real trick will be getting the warm hubs to hold up. I already busted one last weekend. The warns look like junk on the inside, and they are the premium ones. I might go back to the stock Fords. It looks like they have alot more beef.

In defense of Warn's hubs (which I agree look like junk metal), your front tire was bound-up enough to stall your winch. Something had to let go.

Paul

BrettM said:
My understanding is the OEM Ford hubs are the strongest available for the D44, but is yours trailered? You could just do drive flanges from a Waggy.

OEM ford hubs? from what year?
my 76 f150 front axle has OEM hubs with the Warn logo on them...

Back