• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's on a daily driver

toast said:
Would telling you that I plan on a re-gear make you feel better???

Why would anything you say affect how I feel?

It'll make you feel better when it's done.

edit: :D

Guys I do have a tranny cooler and I understand that it's not ideal to run 33s on stock gearing but is it really causing that much damage? I believe its better for trail running but my 33s are pretty streety and the tranny is not shifting in and out of od. I plan on the gear change but if you folks really think it is causing serious "damage", I trust this forum. I don't want opinions tho, I would like facts. Tranny/engine experts to explain exactly why. I am probably gonna change back to the 31's for the summer just to be safe but I really would like some solid feedback on this. Thanks guys.

tkjeeper said:
Guys I do have a tranny cooler and I understand that it's not ideal to run 33s on stock gearing but is it really causing that much damage? I believe its better for trail running but my 33s are pretty streety and the tranny is not shifting in and out of od. I plan on the gear change but if you folks really think it is causing serious "damage", I trust this forum. I don't want opinions tho, I would like facts. Tranny/engine experts to explain exactly why. I am probably gonna change back to the 31's for the summer just to be safe but I really would like some solid feedback on this. Thanks guys.
stock gearing and a 5 spd is OK with an auto tranny i would gear a little lower...that way the trans does not work so hard...for now it is ok...in the future. not so much

he probably had a fresh overhaul and his speedo gear wasn't quite correct.....

Nah, he's just one of the lucky ones.

ChrisRFewell said:
stock gearing and a 5 spd is OK with an auto tranny i would gear a little lower...that way the trans does not work so hard...for now it is ok...in the future. not so much

Not so sure about that one, I had a 93 5spd with 31's and stck gears...gutless and 5th gear was useless, I now have a 96 auto with 31's and is much better. I get loose without trying on dry pavement still not what I want but night and day difference between the 5spd.

FlexdXJ said:
good brakes on a cherokee? not buying that:huh:

You havent been around here very long. There are several very good brake upgrades available, from only mildly costly to very expensive.

Myself, I did a WJ brake conversion, as it also offered wonderful steering. I can easily lock up all four 35" MT/R's at speed.

BRADFORDXJ said:
Not so sure about that one, I had a 93 5spd with 31's and stck gears...gutless and 5th gear was useless, I now have a 96 auto with 31's and is much better. I get loose without trying on dry pavement still not what I want but night and day difference between the 5spd.

x2, i think he has it backwards

X4 my 90 5spd moves pretty good on stock gears and 31's... I can even burn out (sort of) when I want to...

toast said:
indeed I do!

Whats left of the first XJ..

IMG_2288.jpg

Currently building...

IMG_2564.jpg

nice rig!!

I concur!

but I probably would have done a rear axle swap by that point.... and gearing.

tayman said:
I concur!

but I probably would have done a rear axle swap by that point.... and gearing.

Thanks guys, like I said, still building it....I have found the 29 spline 8.25 to be strong enough, and gears are my next purchase. I already bought sliders, and will be trimming the rear wheel well for the TJ flares this weekend.

ah, 8.25. check that last axle comment... I'll be doing an 8.8 swap before my 35's.

Chris @ GATR said:
My DD is on 37's.

wow. That's HUGE!!! what's that thing like around town?????:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Back