• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's on a daily driver

tl1r said:
I run an 88 YJ with a 93 FI setup and a 4.6 stroker, ax15, ford 8.8 and 4.10's gets up and goes fine and I put a 4.1 in the t-case for off road. less aerodynamic i dont get better than 16.5 mpg on average but my motor also has issues.
How does that help this situation? :conceited

on 35's!!! do you wheel!?!?!?

indeed I do!

Whats left of the first XJ..

IMG_2288.jpg

Currently building...

IMG_2564.jpg

Im not saying they would'nt be nice, but it is do-able. And there is a 22% difference for anyone wondering between stock.

I know it's do-able.... I'm just a little sorprized that you'd go to 35's before re-gearing. and WOW!!!!! 22% is a HUGE difference!!!

toast said:
I still have stock gearing. The world didnt end.

I guess your screen name has something to do with your tranny?

XJSpencer said:
I guess your screen name has something to do with your tranny?

haha, yeah possibly! Would telling you that I plan on a re-gear make you feel better??? Its just low on the build list...and I havent got to it yet.

When you finally do it you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it much sooner.

ColoradoRaptor said:
cal said:
When I went to 35's on my DD, I had 4.56 and it was unbearable. Within a month I was on 4.88's.

I got 21.7 mpg doing 55 out to Truckhaven last weekend on 35" MT/R's with 4.88's.[/quote]

Damn, that is pretty good!!

HOLY SH--T!!!!!! I'm running 32's (33's this week) with 4.56 and i'm not getting close to that! Whats your secret and how did you come up with that figure?

Cipey

Cipey said:
ColoradoRaptor said:
HOLY SH--T!!!!!! I'm running 32's (33's this week) with 4.56 and i'm not getting close to that! Whats your secret and how did you come up with that figure?

Cipey

Bigger tires don't have to turn as much as smaller ones, hence better mileage due to more ground covered, being better highway mileage, in the city it's vice versa takes more to stop and go.

I'm one of the losers who's running 33's w/ stock gearing. I honestly noticed a bigger difference when I went from stock to 31's than from 31's to 33's. I don't wheel too hard, yet. And the gearing is on the schedule but I honestly don't mind the road manners at all. I know it's not good for the tranny to be running too low rpm's but if the roads are crap and I cant go much over 50 mph I just drop into 3rd. I like to run in the 2000 rpm area at hwy speeds. Can someone explain what I'm missing? Is it the throttle response? Thanks.

tkjeeper said:
I'm one of the losers who's running 33's w/ stock gearing. I honestly noticed a bigger difference when I went from stock to 31's than from 31's to 33's. I don't wheel too hard, yet. And the gearing is on the schedule but I honestly don't mind the road manners at all. I know it's not good for the tranny to be running too low rpm's but if the roads are crap and I cant go much over 50 mph I just drop into 3rd. I like to run in the 2000 rpm area at hwy speeds. Can someone explain what I'm missing? Is it the throttle response? Thanks.

what your missing is the mechanical advantage of running deeper gears.

it takes more torque to turn bigger tires with stock gearing. change the gears and you decrease the amount of torque required to turn the tires. since your engine only puts out a certain amount of torque, you need more torque to do the same amount of work. so you either regear or apply more torque.

so you either regear or apply more torque.
WOO!!! Engine swap!!!!!! :rof::rof::rof:

Ramsey said:
When you finally do it you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it much sooner.

Ok, I concede...Took the 98 xj for its first 100 mile trip to work today. It has barely enough power to stay in OD. My red 96 (had a 98 motor running 96 injection system) had WAY more power than this one at highway speeds. I got 14 mpg (actual after correcting speedo) while my red one used to get 17-18. Long story short is new gears are first thing after the EJS.

I'll drive mine anywhere with 35s and 4.56s I wish Ihad 4.88s but it is not that bad and I only wish I had the 4.88s while wheeling so I'm going to install a 4:1 when ever I build a 231 to swap in place of my 242.

tayman said:
WOO!!! Engine swap!!!!!! :rof::rof::rof:

Probably a tranny first, especially if it's an auto. I bought an XJ with 33's and stock gears, and an AW4. That tranny was the first thing to go. That's alot of heat being generated to keep them tires turning.

As far as the comment about the bigger tires having to turn less to go as far, that is true but you also have more rotating weight which has a very negative effect. Probably the biggest factor about getting that 21+ mpg was the 55mph and drafting off an RV, which I don't recommend. Also was it mostly downhill that trip? Because, that still crazy gas mileage for a 4.0 running 35's.

Back