• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's or 35's?

tayman said:
actually, I have thought about it... I know they're a lot harder to stop...
-One of the reasons for the 8.8.

How hard is the WJ disc swap? just rotors? just calipers? both? entire knuckle?

Very, very true...:thumbup:

Knuckles, some spacers, rotors, pads, and calipers are the brake parts. You'll will need a new tie rod and draglink. The drag link will be raised a few inches so your steering will be much better. You also need to raise the trackbar mount to match the draglink angle, This will also help your front end geometry dramaticly.

It's a win win set-up if you want to stick with your D30.

well, maybe eventually, I definately think the 8.8 discs will help a ton though. I don't have the money for much right now, so that'll have to come later... Sounds like a very good investment though.

tayman said:
well, maybe eventually, I definately think the 8.8 discs will help a ton though. I don't have the money for much right now, so that'll have to come later... Sounds like a very good investment though.

The front brakes do most of the work, so they will yield the biggest improvement.

Upgrading your master cylinder to a dual diaphram style is a good plan too.

Just do a few searches and you will find all the info on braking will need.

The front brakes do most of the work, so they will yield the biggest improvement.
yeah, I'm painfully aware of this... when you race mountain bikes you get a really good feel of how much the front brakes do. But surely it will help!

Upgrading your master cylinder to a dual diaphram style is a good plan too.
Thanks! Did I read something about that coming on later model XJ's?

Just do a few searches and you will find all the info on braking will need.
Oh, I know..... I know.

tayman said:
Thanks! Did I read something about that coming on later model XJ's?
Do a WJ brake booster swap. I did a write up for it. Super easy, and a bunch cheaper then the other swaps.

I can lock up 35s on otherwise stock brakes.

cool, thanks...

I have to say though, My brakes work really well... after driving my dad's jeep for quite a while, mine is a breeze to stop. BUT!!! I don't know how it'll be with 35's. I'm betting I could lock them up though... I KNOW I can lock up 31's. But it's a lot faster to NOT lock them up... which is why I try not to.

they're bigger, which gives you more clearance for well, everything... and they help when it comes to getting over rocks, logs, etc. the taller the tire, the easier it is to climb over things...

tayman said:
haha FINE!!! my issue is, though.... uh... money. who'da thunk it??? hahaha

You need to just stick with 33's . . . You will know when it's time for 35's and won't have to ask. . .

tayman said:
they're bigger, which gives you more clearance for well, everything... and they help when it comes to getting over rocks, logs, etc. the taller the tire, the easier it is to climb over things...

Lockers and the ability to pick a good line will get you over more stuff than a slightly bigger tire. I see guys on 33's outwheel guys on 35's all the time.

makes sense... but you seriously think a locked Dana 35 is adequate??? Even for 33's???

I kinda doubt it...

haha, that's what I was thinking... in other words... I STILL need to get an 8.8...

tayman said:
makes sense... but you seriously think a locked Dana 35 is adequate??? Even for 33's???

I kinda doubt it...

I don't think an unlocked Dana 35 is adequate for much of anything and I have a lower opinion of a locked Dana 35

haha, see above post...

Back