• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Cherokee Country DD/WW build (infancy)

Thanks Mike. I'm doing all I can do with the little time i have between school and work. Just ordered a set of 5 pro comp 51 d windows gloss black 15x8 3.75 bs. Hopefully getting tires in 2 more pay checks , 1 month. debating on mounting these tires on the rims or not once i get them or to just wait for the new tires.

Didn't mean to post so many replies above.. Didn't notice the thread enter page 2 so I didn't think they were posting. Anyways here's a beauty shot.

IMG_20140212_221950_zpskhau9pul.jpg

I will probably end up cutting the fang tooth on the end of the front fenders at the bottom of the grill level and remove the bracing brackets on the inside. I also have a curiosity to trim the ends of the bumpers at an angle upwards starting from the black bump thing and up towards the bottom right of the grill.
I've already relocated the vacuum canister, I have it ziptied to my coolant reservoir tank in the bay.
Where could I relocated the horns?

opinions on the trimmed bumper and fender?

Also, How can i use a cut off wheel on the bumper and not affect the chrome? trying to make it look clean. Can I use tape and cut in the middle of the tape and will it not change the color of the chrome?

trim fenders run 33's, and with the bumper you gould use door edge molding to hide the discoloration from the cutting wheel

trim fenders run 33's, and with the bumper you gould use door edge molding to hide the discoloration from the cutting wheel

I would LOVE to run 33's however I can't afford to swap a chrysler 8.25 plus 2 new sets of gears and to have them installed.

Going to be sticking with the d35 and 31s with stock 3:55 gears for now.

I've seen dana35s brake on 235s in the dirt. Hell I blew one up on the freeway driving home from work. Not saying it won't last for a short while but it will leave you stranded at the worst possible time. 8.25s are cheep. Find one and swap it I a few hours.

Wow, just wow. Dana 35s are weaker axles, yes, but you make it sound like breathing on one will make it break. I've seen XJs with over 300k miles with the original Dana 35. Its possible to break any axle with a terrible driver, and if you broke a Dana 35 on the freeway that sounds more like a lack of lubrication issue.

OP: Jeep looks great! Love the Country editions.

You can pick up a 8.25 for around 150 bucks or an 8.8 with 4:10s for 300 or less sometimes. Then find a 4 cylinder XJ and pull the 30. You'll be much happier on 33s

Funny how some arguments never seem to die. Some people can make a 35 live. Some can't. End of story. This thread isn't about that debate so let's not clog it up with an argument that's even older than the OP's rig, ok?

what year/tranny/motor/ of cherokee/comanche has a 8.25 with 4.10?
also from the post above does a 4 cylinder d30 have 4.10?

4.10 seems like a smart size for 33's as I do daily drive this thing and it will yield a little better mpg i think.

Still undecided on 31s vs 33s but if i go 33s i do need to do an sye and front shaft as well because i have vibes now and dont want to put more strain on it with the heavy tires so 33's is at least 2x more expensive than going with 31s

STRUG

Painted the flares and installed my new pro comp 51's. PITA did all the work myself
I will paint the rest of the tan flat black whenever my dad finishes his seat bracket for his jeep that's taking up the garage.
2014-02-21_07-18-47_70_zpskiha2rwd.jpg

you should really make a SYE and shackle relocation's a priority. Sure they're not sexy, but they going to help prevent issues down the line. The only difference between a little problem and big problem is time. Did you bumpstop? Dont skip the little things. Be fortunate enough to learn your lessons through others' mistakes. Glad to see you took care of maintenance first thing.

Yes I plan on the SYE as soon as my dad finishes his. He bought his but has not had much time to do it. As for shackle relocations I have not had the interference with the shackle box for quite a while now as the leaves have settled. I will get the HD offroad relocations eventually though.
As for bumpstops, the rears are in tact and keep the 235/75s out of the fender. the fronts fell off and apart when I installed the lift kit coils. I plan to to do the hockey puck job up front once i get new tires.
I am prbably going 31's because I really can't afford and Shouldn't spend so much on new axles and gears I need to start putting some away for the junior college in about a year and a half.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice as well
I will update next most likely when I get time to paint the rockers flat black.

I ordered the rugged ridge SYE kits on amzon for like 160. My next question is will a front driveshaft be long enough with my 4.5" lift and a dana 35 with the np231? I know the dana 35 housing is shorter than the common chrysler 8.25 and that's why I'm asking if it will be too short.
I was about to go to pick n pull and pick a DS but luckily it was closed before I got there and I went home and did more research and then found out that the 35 is shorter.

Yeah i got stuck in a puddle hidden by 3 foot tall grass and there was no getting out. not even with the knobbiest mud tires haha. these gy's stuck up to racing slicks and without locking diffs i was toast. luckily i have friends with a truck who got me out. Fun day tho
2014-03-13_15-18-19_185_zps0tczotby.jpg

Got the 31 10.5 15 dick cepek mud country's mounted and balanced :D definitely a difference between a passenger tire and a light truck tire... but hey, 3 ply sidewall and 6 ply rated not bad. I will need 1-2 inch additional bumpstops over stock. Plan to get square stock for the rear and hockey pucks for the front.
My brakes are terrible now with the weight of the rims and these almost 50lb tires so I'll have to learn to keep my distance.
The gearing isn't too bad, with the 3.55's. kicks into 4th right around 45-46(well what my speedo says) when before it kicked in at about 42-43

IMG_20140327_172538_zpsepaxdt25.jpg

Back