• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12 ton or 20 ton shop press

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
The mechanics and alignment guys I know have 20-50 ton presses. Yet many of the Jeep guys I've seen are using 12 ton and they don't seem to be complaining about them. The price difference at HF is only about $70 and it does take up less space. Wondering if a 20 ton is worth it? Or when you'd "need" a 50 ton?

I've had a 12 ton for years. It would be nice to have a heavier press so I could use a press brake adapter and bend .25" cold roll. Even a 20 ton is a bit light for that.

I bought my 20-Ton with a coupon. It was about the same price as the 12-Ton at regular price. I do not know if I need the capacity, but I sure have it! :D

Currently, I have a coupon that offers the 20-ton press at $155, through 10-31... ;)

I recently had the 12 ton from HF for 24hrs, rickety piece of crap in the box was nothing like the one they had displayed. The 20 ton might be better but who knows luckily I got all my money back.

I don't know if my 20-ton press is "rickety," but we have used and abused it for fun and profit. I'm glad I bought it.

If its too rickety for your liking, you know what to do. We all know the rules with hf technology, especially their heavy shop equipment.

My 20ton press works fine, but i really only use it for relatively small tasks. If you needed a 50 ton press, you'd know it.

The alternative costs over 500$, so make your choice now.

Go with the 20 ton press and don't look back.

I've had mine for years now, and it's been able to do 95% of what I needed.

I might look into building a 50ton, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The only thing I've had to replace was the bottle jack after 5-6 years of use.

I finally bought the 12 ton press. :)

I would've gone bigger but have limited floor space. Assembly was a snap with an impact wrench. It seems to work fine for my uses. Assembling on flat surface or leveling it seems to help. A buddy of mine went out got one the next day and then bought a press brake kit for it from offroad swag.

Back