• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Header/precat replacement

That's Awesome!

Last edited:
Yes..I still have stock precats that are still in good shape which i was going to replace with the Catco precats. The Catco precats is also stainless steal and has the best bends compared to the rest sold out there. But since it was still clean all the way through, i didn't bother getting new ones. The main cat i might just replace with a straight pipe since there isn't an O2 sensor on it or replace with a hi-flow type.

The header is made of stainless steal but i think its ceramic coated as well. There is no sound difference between the stock and this Borla. I've used Borla headers on my other cars before and all of them had some sound increase.

Yes..I still have stock precats that are still in good shape which i was going to replace with the Catco precats. The Catco precats is also stainless steal and has the best bends compared to the rest sold out there. But since it was still clean all the way through, i didn't bother getting new ones. The main cat i might just replace with a straight pipe since there isn't an O2 sensor on it or replace with a hi-flow type.

The header is made of stainless steal but i think its ceramic coated as well. There is no sound difference between the stock and this Borla. I've used Borla headers on my other cars before and all of them had some sound increase.
Ditching the main cat would still be in violation of federal regs.

How's that for better wording Milford?

No, it's not illegal. It is a violation of a federal regulation, not law. You are subject to CIVIL penalties. I believe however that NAXJA still does not condone violations of federal regulations - which is as it should be. So get off your "THAT'S ILLEGAL ZZZZZOMG!1!!1!!!!1!! YOU'RE A TERRIBLE PERSON" high horse.

:roflmao: really? How posts are there about fender trimming without replacing fender flares, or replacing them with legally inadequate flares? Or how bout all the posts that involve exceeding bumper height regulations? Those mods are just as "illegal" as modifying your emissions system. Yet those threads don't get locked and people don't get those silly "infractions" for talking about it. We can't just pick and choose what "we" at NAXJA enforce. Enforce it all or enforce none of it.

I'm all for having safe vehicles and not destroying the environment - but I find it ridiculous that you can't have the words "cat" and "remove" in the same thread without getting slapped with infractions and/or the thread locked; meanwhile, people are constantly posting pictures, write-ups, questions, discussions, about illegal fenders and such without consequence.

Replacing a working catalytic converter is in violation of federal emissions regulations. We at NAXJA do no condone illegal activities. Give yourself an infraction for advocating such federal violation.

See how ridiculous this is?
A bit touchy, guy? I let everyone know that we at NAXJA do not condone the mods being discussed and it is a violation of federal law. Whether it's a law or regulation, civil or criminal (not sure anyone mentioned criminal punishments. You can indeed be punished civilly for violating law), it's one more thing that is an easy target for those that would try and use it against us to discredit our sport. If you can't handle correction like an adult, that's fine. But, if that's the case, this probably isn't the best group of guys for you to hang out with.

Also, nominated

No, it's not illegal. It is a violation of a federal regulation, not law. You are subject to CIVIL penalties. I believe however that NAXJA still does not condone violations of federal regulations - which is as it should be. So get off your "THAT'S ILLEGAL ZZZZZOMG!1!!1!!!!1!! YOU'RE A TERRIBLE PERSON" high horse.

:roflmao: really? How posts are there about fender trimming without replacing fender flares, or replacing them with legally inadequate flares? Or how bout all the posts that involve exceeding bumper height regulations? Those mods are just as "illegal" as modifying your emissions system. Yet those threads don't get locked and people don't get those silly "infractions" for talking about it. We can't just pick and choose what "we" at NAXJA enforce. Enforce it all or enforce none of it.

I'm all for having safe vehicles and not destroying the environment - but I find it ridiculous that you can't have the words "cat" and "remove" in the same thread without getting slapped with infractions and/or the thread locked; meanwhile, people are constantly posting pictures, write-ups, questions, discussions, about illegal fenders and such without consequence.

Replacing a working catalytic converter is in violation of federal emissions regulations. We at NAXJA do no condone illegal activities. Give yourself an infraction for advocating such federal violation.

See how ridiculous this is?

are you aware that not all states have tire coverage laws?

also, most every thread I see about trimming and not putting flares on has responses about not having enough fender clearance...

Also, you have the same report post button everyone else does. If you feel so strongly, report posts that you see recommending illegal activities.

For the record, I don't think you're a terrible person for advocating cat removal. There's plenty of other reasons to choose from...:D

The Borla headers doesn't look as busy as the Banks headers. http://www.quadratec.com/products/17601_500_07.htm
After comparing the two, it would seem that the Borla would flow much better.

I had a hard time tightening the 2 bottom bolts closer to the firewall with the Borla...looking at the Banks, that will be so much tighter to work with. remember, each of the manifold bolts tightens both the exhaust and intake at the same time.

AND, what i told you is less $$ and ships free! that's close to a $100 savings! :D

Also, you have the same report post button everyone else does. If you feel so strongly, report posts that you see recommending illegal activities.

For the record, I don't think you're a terrible person for advocating cat removal. There's plenty of other reasons to choose from...:D

Milford and I discussed this at length last night, and we've both got a fuller picture of what's going on (and I think he's got a better understanding of the whys and wherefores of what we mods have to do.)

And, conveying the understanding of the difference between Federal regs (which don't change) vice state regs (which are a crazy quilt!) seems to have helped as well.

So, we've made a good deal of progress. It helps that I'm always willing to teach and discuss, I think...

Ditching the main cat would still be in violation of federal regs.

How's that for better wording Milford?

Replacing a working cat period is in violation of federal regulations, yet I'd be willing to guess that many many of us have done that just to get an aftermarket cat that flows better. It's silly at best.

And trying to avoid a bad (or worse, that is) rap from tree hugger groups, is the best justification for flipping sh*t every time altering cats is brought up.

I just think it's hilarious to sit back and watch people like you freak out everytime some poor unsuspecting new guy posts about it :D

The only freak out was you. I said that it's illegal and we don't allow discussion of it here. Then to avoid some other guy seeing it and thinking, "Oh hey, good idea!", I reported it.

My only gets changed when it dies. Why? Because I'm a cheap bastard and would much rather spend my money on a mod that'll have a real impact. The little bit of restriction a cat creates isn't enough to upset our engines.

AND, what i told you is less $$ and ships free! that's close to a $100 savings! :D

Yeah, but now I have to explain to my wife. Maybe I'll come up early so she doesn't see the UPS package. ;)

I had a hard time tightening the 2 bottom bolts closer to the firewall with the Borla...looking at the Banks, that will be so much tighter to work with. remember, each of the manifold bolts tightens both the exhaust and intake at the same time.

Did you use a "flex socket?" I've posted that plenty of times before - it's a socket with an inbuilt universal joint. You don't need to recalculate or convert torque values to use it (certainly not this low!) and you gain about an inch of clearance over the regular socket and universal joint combination.

Useful beggars. I've only needed two or three sizes (I've got 11m/m for the CKP screws, 9/16" for the manifold screws, and I don't remember why I got the 1/2" socket,) but they do come in handy...

Replacing a working cat period is in violation of federal regulations, yet I'd be willing to guess that many many of us have done that just to get an aftermarket cat that flows better. It's silly at best.
I doubt that. if that were true, exhaust shops wouldn't do it.

And trying to avoid a bad (or worse, that is) rap from tree hugger groups, is the best justification for flipping sh*t every time altering cats is brought up.
naxja can also get into trouble if people here start advocating that, and it is found by the authorities. not to mention it makes us all look like assholes, and just gives the nazis trying to restrict our access more fodder. having less than full tire coverage by the fender's doesn't hurt the environment.

I just think it's hilarious to sit back and watch people like you freak out everytime some poor unsuspecting new guy posts about it :D

I think its hilarious that you want naxja to get into trouble... why the XXXX do you post here if you don't care about the well being of the club?

Did you use a "flex socket?" I've posted that plenty of times before - it's a socket with an inbuilt universal joint. You don't need to recalculate or convert torque values to use it (certainly not this low!) and you gain about an inch of clearance over the regular socket and universal joint combination.

Useful beggars. I've only needed two or three sizes (I've got 11m/m for the CKP screws, 9/16" for the manifold screws, and I don't remember why I got the 1/2" socket,) but they do come in handy...

I have a whole set of those, as well as just the universal joint, and a set just for spark plugs as well. handy little things.

Yeah, but now I have to explain to my wife. Maybe I'll come up early so she doesn't see the UPS package. ;)

LOL...i know the feeling! I have packages coming in almost every other day and i here "uh hu!" from the wife all the time! But she knows that this is my only vice and she is very supportive.

5-90: I have tried, i have short sockets with flex joints and i just couldn't get it in there. Thank goodness for ratchet box end wrenches..

To NAXJA MEMBERS: SOOO SORRY i mentioned "Cat Replacements or straight pipe". I'm 110% for cats, like i did say that i didn't replace mine cuz it was still good. The main cat i will replace IF it was bad WITH A LEGAL CAT REPLACEMENT. Again...VERY SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYBODY.

I doubt that. if that were true, exhaust shops wouldn't do it.

Read it for yourself:

(6) When can I install an aftermarket converter?
Generally, there are only 3 situations when you can install an aftermarket converter.
They are:
(1) if the converter is missing from the vehicle when brought in for exhaust
system repair; or
(2) if a State or local inspection program has determined the existing converter
has been lead poisoned, damaged, or otherwise needs replacement; or
(3) if the vehicle is more than 5 years old or has more than 50,000 miles*
(8 years/80,000 miles for 1995 and newer vehicles) and a legitimate need for
replacement has been established and appropriately documented (e.g., a
plugged converter or unrepairable exhaust leaks).

5-90: I have tried, i have short sockets with flex joints and i just couldn't get it in there. Thank goodness for ratchet box end wrenches..

Yes! That's about all you can get in there. I've had good luck with these too:

30524_400986373287_12098993287_4149971_5278203_n.jpg

Worth their weight in gold on occasion.

Back