• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 cherokee starts and stalls - searched

Jeep01dad said:
a side note: if i bought a remote start for the jeep, it would get it running without a key, and then she would only need her key to unlock the steeringwheel to drive, correct?

Yes that is true. However they usually just have you bring them a valad key and ziptie it to the module so it thinks the key is in the system.

EDIT: I know it seem like an ass-a-nine option, but you are seeing just how good the system really is in preventing her Jeep from being stolen. Basicly if you have a valad key it will start, if not it sets. Swaping the CPU will not let it be stolen, nore will swapping the SKIM.

Last edited:
ziptie the key, i wondered how they fooled the system. yea, i'm glad that the system is doing what it's intended to do. too bad it locks out the owner too. there ought to be a bypass so you can at least limp it to the dealer. imagine needing towed from the beach.

just goes to show you never stop learning. looks like just about every car has some sort of smart key these days. i was ready to rig toggle switches like i did on my '70 nova in the good ole days. not happening.

turns out she has two weeks of gaurd duty next week so the dealer can have at it. at least i'm not seeing red anymore. had to hit the weights then get together with my brother and crank up the amp. soothing.

yea mine is 96 and different from those. the unlock unlock would work for me. there was a sensor under the dash above the clutch i disconnected.

Jeep01dad said:
unplug battery for a few minutes + clean debris from around pcm = jeep starts.
You've got to be kidding me!! Hopefully you two figgured that out before she took it to the dealer. If not, at least glad to hear it was some inexpencive to fix.

no dealer required. sometimes i'd rather be lucky than good. if it's an intermittent problem like casm spoke of, i hope its far and few between.

Back