• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick check, 8.8 with no lift cleareance?

jonzer12

NAXJA Forum User
I am picking up a TJ Dana 30 and a Ford 8.8 both with 4:10 gears.
My 2000 XJ is bone stock. I want to swap the axles in first, and do the lift and larger tires later. And I am going to have any clearance problems with the 8.8 under a stock height (slightly sagging) rear? Exhaust/tank issues?

Also has anyone ran a Currie Correct-lync dranglink/tierod on a stock height XJ?

Thanks,

do NOT buy the currie steering, despite their enthuesiastic name for it, its still shit.
why would you want upgraded steering on a stock xj?

Exhaust is close with an 8.8 even lifted nothing a 10# Jeep wrench can't massage to clear though.

Should be fine.

Exhaust is close with an 8.8 even lifted nothing a 10# Jeep wrench can't massage to clear though.

Should be fine.

Lol, what would i do without that thing... :roflmao:

I chopped my exhaust after the muffler and threw on a turn down when i put in my 8.8.

do NOT buy the currie steering, despite their enthuesiastic name for it, its still shit.
why would you want upgraded steering on a stock xj?

I have only heard good things about it. Besides my steering box is sloppy and I need to replace a few joints so I figures instead of dumping cash into the stock setup I would just buy a new steering box and pick up the currie item.

Can you elaborate?

Throw away that TJ dana 30 - its low pinion, no upgrade from what you have now.

$150 at the junkyard gets you a 4 cyl XJ dana 30 that is high pinion. Better driveline angles, better clearance. Add 5.5" of lift so the driveshaft doesnt hit the oversized "cant meet emissions on this old system" header the 2000's used and some 35's so it doesnt look lame, and then you can regear both of them again.

On second thought, ignore me.

Don't ignore me here, though.

Currie steering is trash. It bends almost as easy as $50 ZJ steering, does not address the deficiant steering angles in the 'under the knuckle inverted Y", and uses proprietary tie rod ends you can ONLY GET FROM CURRIE. Unless you wanna buy 2 currie steering setups (which, a couple of locals have done) you're screwed for spares or quick replacements.

Throw away that TJ dana 30 - its low pinion, no upgrade from what you have now.

$150 at the junkyard gets you a 4 cyl XJ dana 30 that is high pinion. Better driveline angles, better clearance. Add 5.5" of lift so the driveshaft doesnt hit the oversized "cant meet emissions on this old system" header the 2000's used and some 35's so it doesnt look lame, and then you can regear both of them again.

On second thought, ignore me.

Is there clearance issues when putting a HP 30 in a 2000/2001 XJ without any lift? If so, how much lift is really needed?

Is there clearance issues when putting a HP 30 in a 2000/2001 XJ without any lift? If so, how much lift is really needed?

I've seen rigs with 4" of lift and HP 30's that had no problems - mind you, they had no problems with 33's stuffed, so there may not be much problem at all (if any).

No, HP 30's came in the other years that have the same body and engine designs.

-Alex

They don't have the same header, though. The 00/01 XJ's have a header that comes down lower, and further forward.

They don't have the same header, though. The 00/01 XJ's have a header that comes down lower, and further forward.

X2 header and down pipes are different, i.e. 00/01s can have 2 pre cats and 4 O2 sensors on the header/downpipe

Many of us who have ran it will disagree, myself included.

pretty much x2 what cal said...
just because you run it, and you didnt break it, doesnt mean its all good.

if your gonna spend $300 on steering, actually UPGRADE.... do it once, do it right.
there are better kits available, and theyre cheaper/comparable price... WHY BUY AN INFERIOR KIT, just to be stubborn?

X2 header and down pipes are different, i.e. 00/01s can have 2 pre cats and 4 O2 sensors on the header/downpipe

Not all of them,no pre-cats here and only 2 O2 sensors!

Not to hijack (as I do so) But what would you recommend for a steering setup for around 300 Cal? I also found a currie setup used but had doubts. 3.5 RE front springs on a 99

Back