• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a bumper...

Stang5lgt

NAXJA Forum User
So I been wanting to build a bumper for over a year now. Finally got a idea how to do it. I made a jig from plywood I can use as a model to get ideas and is cheaper then steel. I still have a little work to do on it. And some of the extra stuff you see is for strength to keep it straight. Once I am ready to build the steel one I have just cut pieces to match lay it on the jig model and tack weld it. I just need to figure out a way to keep the plywood from burning. Does anyone know if I coat it with fiberglass that will make it fire resistant?
Xmas08Bumper009.jpg

Xmas08Bumper010.jpg

Xmas08Bumper011.jpg

Xmas08Bumper012.jpg

If all you're gonna do is tack the pieces together over the wood, it should be just fine. I've done the same thing and unless you're burning in an inch stitch weld, a tack weld isn't going to generate enough heat to burn the wood other than give it a little char.

Kinda like trying to solder copper piping inside a customers wall without burning their house down. They tend to frown on that. Anyways, just get the plywood good and wet, then start welding. Wet, not soaking wet so that it swells/deforms, but good and wet. Keep 'em to smallish spot welds to hold the shape and it shouldn't burn.

i like the design alot.

this is a winch bumper yes?

are you going to have d-tabs for clevis's on there?
Yes winch bumper. The I am going to build the fairlead into the face and yes D tabs on the face too. It will be pretty cool I think. I been looking at a lot them and if you want all options you have to pay 500-600 bucks plus shipping. I hope to have less then 150 bucks in this plus my time. K&K surplus in Commerce City had 3/16 1' x 16' plate for 60 bucks a piece. I hope they have some left. That will save me a ton.

Looks hefty Josh!

Our hot work procedure for in-car work requires spraying the area with soapy water before and after cutting or welding. We do both operations on material in direct contact with old, dried up, wood.

I don't think a few charred spots will affect your ability to reference the parts to each other.

JMO

Edit: I can score you some heavier steel for the winch plate and sections between the frame rails. ;)

If all you're gonna do is tack the pieces together over the wood, it should be just fine. I've done the same thing and unless you're burning in an inch stitch weld, a tack weld isn't going to generate enough heat to burn the wood other than give it a little char.

X2 Looks good!!

http://www.ironscorpion.com

great bumper kit, cheap, easy, and looks almost exactly like what you're trying to build.
I already looked at that one. If I have to do all the work may as well make something I like. Plus no spot for my winch unless I use a receiver winch. I don't like the looks of that one. I pay way more for someone to cut steel for me. Plus if mine turns out good I am going to build a few to sell.

I already looked at that one. If I have to do all the work may as well make something I like. Plus no spot for my winch unless I use a receiver winch. I don't like the looks of that one. I pay way more for someone to cut steel for me. Plus if mine turns out good I am going to build a few to sell.

I thought he was working on a winch version. Am I wrong, the site is down for maintenance at the moment.:dunno:

I thought he was working on a winch version. Am I wrong, the site is down for maintenance at the moment.:dunno:

He is out of town for the holidays and back the 5th. He probably took it down so he wouldn't have anyone placing all these orders and getting pissed that he was not responding.

He has a build thread over on the colorado4x4.org site where couple guys did the winch version and it does look pretty sweet.

Back