• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Header/precat replacement

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone replaced their header and precats on an 01 XJ? I've got a 4.9L stroker and I want to get a little more performance out of it while doing something with the darn precats on the factory header. The things are super restrictive. It seems like all the aftermarket headers out there are for 99 and before. Might try some Pacesetter headers because they have holes for the O2 sensors if I can get it to work. Thanks guys.

Or you could grab a computer from a non cali emissions XJ, delete the precats altogether and just use any of the several performance headers available for XJ's.

I won't condone this, but FYI- All 2001 xj's have precat's.

2000 was the last year with a mix of the single cat/ 3 cat setup rigs.

So in order to do that you'd have to go to a 2000 computer.

I won't condone this, but FYI- All 2001 xj's have precat's.

2000 was the last year with a mix of the single cat/ 3 cat setup rigs.

So in order to do that you'd have to go to a 2000 computer.
Or, weld in some bungs in the new header for the HO2's and run as is.

Ended up ordering this header off of ebay for only $220 shipped. Should be able to eliminate the precat/resonators after the header.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-J...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item43ac0a6422

Thanks for the follow-up. How are you planning to get away w/not having the pre-cat/resonators in place? I'm not concerned w/emissions, but rather that annoying check-engine light...

Please keep us updated on your install and results. I'm thinking in the next month or two I'll have the extra $$ to order up some headers and possibly just replace those pre-cats on my '01 and hopefully resolve the P0432 code I've been farting around with the past year.

I talked with the guys at Titan who made my stroker motor. They don't think I'll need them and will just be able to run straight pipes... There are bungs for the CO2 sensors (correct me if I'm wrong on what those are) in this header and as far as the O2 sensor I think I'll just splice in longer wires and run it behind a high flow cat and see what it does. If that doesn't work might look into a O2 sim but don't have any experience with them. We don't have emissions here currently in CO but yeah I'd rather not have the check engine light on all the time either. Still got to talk to some custom exhaust guys.

Last edited:
I talked with the guys at Titan who made my stroker motor. They don't think I'll need them and will just be able to run straight pipes... There are bungs for the CO2 sensors (correct me if I'm wrong on what those are) in this header and as far as the O2 sensor I think I'll just splice in longer wires and run it behind a high flow cat and see what it does. If that doesn't work might look into a O2 sim but don't have any experience with them. We don't have emissions here currently in CO but yeah I'd rather not have the check engine light on all the time either. Still got to talk to some custom exhaust guys.

the piece you bought is just like the OEM piece as far as it has the 2 bungs for you to install the 2 upstream O2 sensors. You have to use these as this is what the PCM uses to determine how the engine is running and makes adjustments to the A/F ratio based on their input. However you have a total of 4 sensors and all have to be working correctly for you to not get a CEL. You can have whatever pipe made that you want that will attach from this and go down to your catback exhaust, somewhere in that section of pipe you need to install the remaining 2 02 sensors and if you have no intention of using any cats in that pipe you might want to order up a set of the sims as the function of that second pair of sensors is simply to check what is left in the exhaust in order to determine if the cats are doing their job. If you use the sims they will simply plug into the wiring harness in place of the post cat O2 sensors and provide the computer with a false signal that the cats are installed and working correctly. Might be cheaper to get them and have a straight off road y pipe made if you are not worried about having emmisions checked ever.

Just a piece of advice: removal of factory emissions equipment is illegal. Even if your state has no emissions testing, it violates federal law, and NAXJA does not condone illegal activities.

I understand what is hoping to be done here, but bear in mind that it IS a violation of EPA regs and 49CFR Part I to remove OEM emissions control devices - no matter how ill-conceived, failure-prone, or restrictive they may be.

This thread is very close to getting nuked, so let's see if we can't shift direction just a bit.

As far as the OT, I'd look into outfits like Random Technologies - they do good high-flow cats, and you could either find a header through them, or find something sufficient to use for a pre-cat (to pass visual inspection) and give you better flow than OEM in the first place.

Just a piece of advice: removal of factory emissions equipment is illegal. Even if your state has no emissions testing, it violates federal law...

No, it's not illegal. It is a violation of a federal regulation, not law. You are subject to CIVIL penalties. I believe however that NAXJA still does not condone violations of federal regulations - which is as it should be. So get off your "THAT'S ILLEGAL ZZZZZOMG!1!!1!!!!1!! YOU'RE A TERRIBLE PERSON" high horse.

and NAXJA does not condone illegal activities.

:roflmao: really? How posts are there about fender trimming without replacing fender flares, or replacing them with legally inadequate flares? Or how bout all the posts that involve exceeding bumper height regulations? Those mods are just as "illegal" as modifying your emissions system. Yet those threads don't get locked and people don't get those silly "infractions" for talking about it. We can't just pick and choose what "we" at NAXJA enforce. Enforce it all or enforce none of it.

I'm all for having safe vehicles and not destroying the environment - but I find it ridiculous that you can't have the words "cat" and "remove" in the same thread without getting slapped with infractions and/or the thread locked; meanwhile, people are constantly posting pictures, write-ups, questions, discussions, about illegal fenders and such without consequence.

As far as the OT, I'd look into outfits like Random Technologies - they do good high-flow cats, and you could either find a header through them, or find something sufficient to use for a pre-cat (to pass visual inspection) and give you better flow than OEM in the first place.

Replacing a working catalytic converter is in violation of federal emissions regulations. We at NAXJA do no condone illegal activities. Give yourself an infraction for advocating such federal violation.

See how ridiculous this is?

Uh... I just want my dang CEL (P0432 code) to stay OFF! I've never considered an XJ as a performance vehicle so I'm not about squeezing the last bit of HP out of my '01, just dependability & reliability w NO CEL! Ha

Not today but yesterday. Installed Borla headers and 4 new O2 sensors on my 2001
2012-02-21-16-59-32-918-1-1.jpg

2012-03-04-13-20-40-272.jpg

2012-03-04-13-22-01-244-1.jpg

2012-03-04-14-20-12-228-1.jpg

Back