NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > NorthWest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

NorthWest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 20th, 2011, 22:37
TORX's Avatar
TORX TORX is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: BG
Posts: 5,920
The Nail Salon

After parting out my 88' (Jeepforcone) over the summer, I decided my next build would be based on a late model platform. I wanted something newer with low miles, since this is going to be a daily driver for the next year or two. After a good month or two of searching I finally found what I was after...

"The Nail Salon"



Specs:
1997 Cherokee Sport
4.0L - 110K
AW4/231
D30HP/C8.25

Dellstopjeep and I went to pick it up a few weeks ago. It was a one owner vehicle, and it was immaculate (freshly detailed). The seller was selling it for his grand parents who originally bought it new off the lot. The only real issue we found was the inside smelled like a Vietnamese nail salon.

Build progress will probably be slow going, but I plan on keeping this thread updated on all the work that's done to it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 20th, 2011, 22:54
TORX's Avatar
TORX TORX is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: BG
Posts: 5,920
Re: The Nail Salon

With the low snow level the past few days, I decided to take a drive on Saturday and do some exploring. This would be the first time The Nail Salon's ever been off the pavement.

I was surprised how "tight" it felt just on the gravel roads. I'm use to mass uni-body noises, back seats rattling, bushings squeaking, etc. Instead it was actually a quiet and comfortable drive. I think I can get use to this.

Ended up at the trail head for Ed's Trail, elevation 3000'. It did surprisingly well in the snow. Had to take a few runs to get over a rather large water bar, but other than that no bubbles no troubles.


At the trail head. There had been a bit of traffic already up there, so the snow was packed pretty good.




I continued on down to the 41rd, and out past Sunset Falls through Yacolt. It was easy day, but it was fun to get out and actually "wheel" my own Jeep again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:25
jonesinxj jonesinxj is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Granite Falls, WA
Posts: 1,112
Re: The Nail Salon

Nice rig Dustin! So whats the plan for this one?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:25
crazymoose1990 crazymoose1990 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beavertown
Posts: 2,817
Re: The Nail Salon

Looks good Dustin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 21st, 2011, 14:32
dick.breakey dick.breakey is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue/Seattle
Posts: 1,111
Hey I like it. And it's not the girl color I thought it was haha. Can't wait for the build.


Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 21st, 2011, 14:51
XJ-00-1's Avatar
XJ-00-1 XJ-00-1 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Renton
Posts: 105
Re: The Nail Salon

Congrats on the new rig.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 21st, 2011, 14:59
NW-ZJ-SCOTT's Avatar
NW-ZJ-SCOTT NW-ZJ-SCOTT is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beavercreek Oregon
Posts: 9,642
Re: The Nail Salon

Cant wait to see this rig evolve.. Congrats!
__________________
ZJ, Atlas 4 speed
MJ, 4.0HO Shortbed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 21st, 2011, 15:07
TORX's Avatar
TORX TORX is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: BG
Posts: 5,920
Re: The Nail Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesinxj View Post
Nice rig Dustin! So whats the plan for this one?
Little bit of Jeepforceone obviously. I'll be doing a lot of the same things again, but changing the things I wasn't happy with.


The DIYness of 2xtreme. It's not going to be a catalog XJ.


The simplicity of Simple Green. Why over complicate things?


In the end I see it turning out as an amalgamation of Sideshow's...


...and northwestxj's.


Both are built very well, and do exactly what they were built for. They aren't running a 6.5" lift, and 35's, yet they're setup to conquer pretty much any obstacle the PNW has to throw at them, and then drive home comfortably after.
__________________

Last edited by TORX; November 23rd, 2011 at 23:16.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 21st, 2011, 15:07
crazymoose1990 crazymoose1990 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beavertown
Posts: 2,817
Re: The Nail Salon

Which color is the girl color?






Quote:
Originally Posted by dick.breakey View Post
Hey I like it. And it's not the girl color I thought it was haha. Can't wait for the build.


Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 21st, 2011, 15:18
dick.breakey dick.breakey is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue/Seattle
Posts: 1,111
Seems like a good plan. Enough to get it done and be reliable is my favorite approach.

Its the teal color. Like stumpxj on the board. I think he lives I'm Georgia.


Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 21st, 2011, 16:17
ruger81's Avatar
ruger81 ruger81 is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 1,202
Re: The Nail Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORX View Post
After parting out my 88' (Jeepforcone) over the summer, I decided my next build would be based on a late model platform. I wanted something newer with low miles, since this is going to be a daily driver for the next year or two. After a good month or two of searching I finally found what I was after...

"The Nail Salon"



Specs:
1997 Cherokee Sport
4.0L - 110K
AW4/231
D30HP/C8.25

Dellstopjeep and I went to pick it up a few weeks ago. It was a one owner vehicle, and it was immaculate (freshly detailed). The seller was selling it for his grand parents who originally bought it new off the lot. The only real issue we found was the inside smelled like a Vietnamese nail salon.

Build progress will probably be slow going, but I plan on keeping this thread updated on all the work that's done to it.
Very nice rig. Go Icelandic with it... I only have one question how did you come up with the fact it smells like a veitnamise nail salon.. is this by personal experience or did the future vp offer his suggestion ...
__________________
Atlas 4speed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 21st, 2011, 16:54
BoringDave BoringDave is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boring
Posts: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger81 View Post
Very nice rig. Go Icelandic with it... I only have one question how did you come up with the fact it smells like a veitnamise nail salon.. is this by personal experience or did the future vp offer his suggestion ...
I was going to ask the same thing. To funny!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 21st, 2011, 19:11
2xtreme's Avatar
2xtreme 2xtreme is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kayak Pt, WA
Posts: 3,459
Re: The Nail Salon

Dustin,

I am honored to have my Jeep on your "short list"
I assume you are doing cut out rockers? That is one of the ONLY things that I regret on 2xtreme since they were not comon back in the day when I did my rockers.

I look forward to seeing yours on the trail.

Michael
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 21st, 2011, 20:10
nightfoam nightfoam is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tron
Posts: 2,468
Re: The Nail Salon

I'm proud of you, Dustin. Way to step up into an Adult's Jeep.

How was Twilight, by the way?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 21st, 2011, 22:12
TORX's Avatar
TORX TORX is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: BG
Posts: 5,920
Re: The Nail Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger81 View Post
I only have one question how did you come up with the fact it smells like a veitnamise nail salon.. is this by personal experience or did the future vp offer his suggestion ...
I get my hair cut at this Asian place, and it smells just like my Jeep. Could be Cambodian though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xtreme View Post
Dustin,

I am honored to have my Jeep on your "short list"
I assume you are doing cut out rockers? That is one of the ONLY things that I regret on 2xtreme since they were not comon back in the day when I did my rockers.

I look forward to seeing yours on the trail.

Michael
Phase1 will get traditional rock sliders. I'm just not ready to cut into this early.

If it performs how I want it to after the first year. Then I'll probably commit to Phase2, and at that point cage it and do rocker replacements.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UT- Gold Bar Rim, Rusty Nail Handlebars Trail Maps | GPS Tracks 0 March 24th, 2008 08:10
Nail in the tire, searched... Alienspecimen OEM Tech Discussion 4 September 11th, 2006 10:52
Nail it down poomba XJ Fest 2004: Rubicon 0 December 11th, 2003 18:31
Tell me about Rusty Nail Handlebars 2003 20th Anniversary Celebration! Moab, Utah 21 September 9th, 2003 11:42
Thumb Nail... ROCKWGN User Support, Questions and Suggestions 1 May 19th, 2003 12:40


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014