• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dusy Ershim

ocean_jet

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. Some of us down in So Cal are getting a trip together to run the Dusy Ershim.

If any of you guys want to join us that would be great. Here's the thread:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059283

Also, none of us in the group have been before. Can any of you guys who have run it give some guidance on minimum vehicle requirements?

From the research I've done, seem like 32's and at least one locker as a minimum. Would you guys agree?

Also, which direction would you recommend. I understand southbound is supposedly easier, but most people go north?

Any other advice? Good camping spots on the trail?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
it looks like the dusy is about 5 hrs from sacto as well

32, and locker is advised.. Can be done with less. I've done south bound on 30" and Open diffs, but it was slow, and winching was required a couple times. From LA or Sacto plan for 4-5 hours to Fresno another 1.5-2 hour to the Lower trails head and 2-3 hour to the upper trail head.

I'll keep an eye on this would love to do it again, even if only part way. I live 3 hours away

Fyi, chances are good it will not open this year. It has closed before due to snow levels and this years record levels, dont plan on it opening before August. As far as requirements go. 1 locker, 31s, rockers, towpoints, not stock steering, not stock control arms... I think that would be fun amd difficult. I plan on running it on 31s in my little jeep eventually.

Fyi, chances are good it will not open this year. It has closed before due to snow levels and this years record levels, dont plan on it opening before August. As far as requirements go. 1 locker, 31s, rockers, towpoints, not stock steering, not stock control arms... I think that would be fun amd difficult. I plan on running it on 31s in my little jeep eventually.

What he said...and 30s would be mo funner. Running it south to north is funner than north to south. It is a beautiful spot and good camping.

What he said...and 30s would be mo funner. Running it south to north is funner than north to south. It is a beautiful spot and good camping.

Yes, and take a lot of spare bocce balls.

Hi guys. Some of us down in So Cal are getting a trip together to run the Dusy Ershim.

If any of you guys want to join us that would be great. Here's the thread:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059283

Also, none of us in the group have been before. Can any of you guys who have run it give some guidance on minimum vehicle requirements?

From the research I've done, seem like 32's and at least one locker as a minimum. Would you guys agree?

Also, which direction would you recommend. I understand southbound is supposedly easier, but most people go north?

Any other advice? Good camping spots on the trail?

Thanks,
Mike

Stock steering will bend and then break, smaller older u-joints will break, bad welds will break. Badly tighten bolts will fall off. Stock cross-member might fold. Winch might catch fire.

And when you go to take a dump, your shovel brakes, because granite is tough to dig into.

What else went wrong the last time ?

Also expect snow and rain anytime after august 19th. Its a very short season up there. Its also recommended you take a hand saw and axe in case you have a fallen tree. Do not, I repeat DO NOT take a chainsaw unless you are trained and registered by the national forest. It is a fine if caught. You dont want to go down that road.

Good luck! If it doesnt pan out, spend your time at red and coyote lake.

I just spoke with Anthony, the OHV program manager for the Sierra National Forest.

He seems pretty confident the trail will open on August 2nd, but said he couldn't guarantee anything.

We're going to go ahead and plan the trip, and if the trail doesn't open, we'll figure that out later. Anthony said he would probably know by mid-June when to expect it open... so we'll cross that brindge in June if we need to.

Thanks everyone for all the information. I appreciate it.

If I make this run will I be tar and feathered if I invite a few non XJs? One is on 38s, dual t cases, locked F/R and makes a great recovery vehicle!

Not at all.

Last summer, this group ran the Rubicon with 5-6 XJ's and one Toyota. He was more than welcome... although, he did catch plenty of "good-natured" crap when he grenaded his diff and had to be pulled up Cadillac Hill.

But, hell yah... anyone is welcome if they have a capable rig.

When you say Cadi Hill are you talking about on a Rubicon trip or does part of the Dusy trail merge with the con? I was under the impression this trail is a lot further south then the con, correct?

When you say Cadi Hill are you talking about on a Rubicon trip or does part of the Dusy trail merge with the con? I was under the impression this trail is a lot further south then the con, correct?

I was talking about last summer on the Rubicon. I haven't been on the Dusy... yet.

correct, he is talking about the Rubicon. Dusy is down East of Fresno

Sweet, the con is nice but I'm always interested in new places also. I saw a lot of pics of the terrain on Dusy and Im surprised its not more popular then it seems. The Rubicon is synonymous with 4 wheeling but you Dusy Ershim and people XXXX their head and say Dusy what? This trail looks like an awesome ride!

Sweet, the con is nice but I'm always interested in new places also. I saw a lot of pics of the terrain on Dusy and Im surprised its not more popular then it seems. The Rubicon is synonymous with 4 wheeling but you Dusy Ershim and people XXXX their head and say Dusy what? This trail looks like an awesome ride!

Yeah, that's because you need to commit 3-4 days min to run it. I would like to run it soon but will not be able to until next year. Have fun guys.

If someone has a gps I would love to get the track.

Yeah, that's because you need to commit 3-4 days min to run it. I would like to run it soon but will not be able to until next year. Have fun guys.

If someone has a gps I would love to get the track.

If I go I can plot it out. I have a GPS with TOPO maps and then I store all my runs on Mapsource. I have this obsession with plotting everything and looking at it from google earth. :sure:

Back