• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dusy Ershim

Stock steering will bend and then break, smaller older u-joints will break, bad welds will break. Badly tighten bolts will fall off. Stock cross-member might fold. Winch might catch fire.

And when you go to take a dump, your shovel brakes, because granite is tough to dig into.

What else went wrong the last time ?
I seem to recall my TRES all became loose, but I cant remember if that was on Dusy or another portion of Sierrafest.
BenH also poped a tire, or bent a wheel.
Damn rocks jump out in front of em while you're playing.

Vodka + Redbull + Bocce Ball = A good time!
Dont forget the swimming Russian!

Id venture to say that was one of my favorite wheeling trips. Between an awesome trail, awesome people and amazing scenery, it was a pretty dang cool time.

I seem to recall my TRES all became loose, but I cant remember if that was on Dusy
It was Dusy, I remember watching you tightening them up.

Dont forget the swimming Russian!

Yes, take me with you !

I remembered one more thing - raccoons stole our food, and messed up one jeep.

BTW, why nobody else swam?

Hey, for any of you who have been to the trail, can you let me know if there is an area where people would generally park tow rigs and trailers while running the trail?

Thanks!

Oh, by the way, we have set the dates: August 10-August 14.

More details to come as get them figured out... hope some of you guys can make it.

Oh, by the way, we have set the dates: August 10-August 14.

More details to come as get them figured out... hope some of you guys can make it.

I'd love to run this trail with you guys (I live relatively close by), but unfortunately your run is during Sierra Fest which is August 8-14th this year.

We ran Dusy the summer before last. Best Trail I've ever run (not the hardest, just the best). But it's serious sh.t guys. By that I mean it has the potential to really hurt you if you're not prepared. You, and your buds will be on your own for at least three days minimum. If you get hurt or break don't count on help for days...

Approach it this way, if it was just you and your buds after the zombies come and you escape to the mountains what would you bring? Then bring that. Everything from EXTRA food and water to parts to being prepared to handle any weather Mom nature throws at you. I can't stress this enough. We ran the trail in early August from a Friday until Monday (4 full days) and we saw maybe 5 other rigs the entire way (except at Chicken rock).

We ran it from Chicken Rock up and there are plenty of good camping spots. But I highly recommend planning to spend your last night at Dusy Lake. OMG that water after three dusty days on the trail was awesome. Nice campground too.

As for rig qualifications? This one always makes me laugh. It depends on the driver! Our group had everyone fully locked with my 33's being the smallest in the group, we all have 15+ years experience as well. Thompson Hill going up is nasty, loose bolders and slippery silt type sand, etc. The other part that gave us trouble was the very end of the trail, the last 1/4 mile can be a challenge. It's not so much that the Dusy is a real technical trail, it's that it's just looonngg.

The scenery is spectacular! Bring a camera. Also, don't bring anyone who doesn't enjoy being in the Heep for 4 days straight, they will not have fun.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

Thanks for all the info guys. I have been following this thread to gather info and you answered all my questions. I'm one of the guys joining OceanJet on the Dusy trip this summer. Sounds like it's gonna be pretty fun. I thought the 2 days on the Rubicon was long. I guess I better prepare myself for a MUCH longer trail. Maybe we will get to meet some of you when we are up there.

Depending on when you do it, I may drive into Ershim for the day or follow yall up chicken rock for the day. I can swing a day trip though!

Do not, I repeat DO NOT take a chainsaw unless you are trained and registered by the national forest. It is a fine if caught. You dont want to go down that road.

There's no truth to this, never heard it before. What you're saying does apply to Forest Service projects, except the fine part. If you're driving along on your own, you're not part of a project. The Forest Service is glad that trees get taken care of by people already in the area, it saves them a trip.

Back