• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor oil type/weight: Racers only.

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Slowly putting together the 7S Comanche to compete in BITD(7300)next year. The truck has a pretty fresh engine in it, and I'd like it to last a while.

So, to the race teams that run the 4.0, what motor oil brand/weight are you running?

We will poke another hole in the oil pan anyway, just use cheap walmart stuff.
Seriously though, 15/50 Mobil 1.

Thanks D,...

You hole another oil pan, and you don't get to drive any more.

I use the Valvoline Racing synthetic. 5w30 or straight 30wt and change it every race. New filter and oil is $50 every race and well spent.

The Valvoline has the stuff to help the flat tappet cams that 4.0's run. A lot of the oils out there do not. I've used Brad Penn also, but it's a PITA to get.

x2

I'm not a racer, however after spending way too many hours on the internet doing research on the newer oil specifications I've come to this conclusion: Every oil made in the last 2 years has a required reduction in the Zinc dithiophosphate additives(commonly referred to as ZDDP) in them because they can "damage catalytic converters". This reduction includes high quality oils such as Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Castrol Edge, etc. ZDDP is a necessary additive for engines with flat-tappet cams such as the AMC 242.

My recommendation would be a high quality 15w40 synthetic such as Mobile 1, Redline, or Castrol Edge along with one of these two ZDDP additives:
STP Oil Treatment

Rislone Oil Supplement with Zinc/ZDDP Treatment

My personal experience using the STP product has been this: An extremely noticeable reduction in valve train noise, to the point that the valve train cant be heard over the clicking of the fuel injectors.

15w40 Rotella diesel oil is also another option if you dont want to run synthetic.

Thanks for the responses.

Zacks: I just put a can of STP oil treatment in everything with the oil. Race truck will get the same.
I quit worrying about the ZDDP issue. Either the fine print has gotten microscopic, or my eyes won't focus that tight any more. Who cares which motor oil still has it(if any), I can't read the freaking labels!. :D

Thanks for the responses.

Zacks: I just put a can of STP oil treatment in everything with the oil. Race truck will get the same.
I quit worrying about the ZDDP issue. Either the fine print has gotten microscopic, or my eyes won't focus that tight any more. Who cares which motor oil still has it(if any), I can't read the freaking labels!. :D

Agreed. Every oil still has ZDDP, just not as much as they should have. At $3 a bottle for the STP treatment, its almost stupid NOT to use it. Anytime I change oil in anything from now on, its going to get that stuff.

Your link to the motorists blog is 3 years old. Current Rotella does not have 1200ppm ZDDP as is indicated in that blog.

Its probably in the 600ppm range, about on-par with most other oils that have been approved for on-road usage.

From what I've read with hydralic lifters, and a flat tappet cam, 900ppm of ZDDP is about where you want to be minimum.

OH GOD,... DON'T START WITH THE ZDDP CRAP AGAIN! It's not in there! We know!

If you're the kind of person who worries about it, just use an additive for god's sake! If you're not the kind of person who worries about it, you probably don't keep vehicles for over 50K miles anyway,....

Its probably in the 600ppm range, about on-par with most other oils that have been approved for on-road usage.

From what I've read with hydralic lifters, and a flat tappet cam, 900ppm of ZDDP is about where you want to be minimum.

So you missed the article about the guy that ran aircraft engine oil. There is ZERO zddp in that. Flat tappet cams in aircraft engines seem to do just fine with it.

x2

I'm not a racer, however after spending way too many hours on the internet doing research on the newer oil specifications I've come to this conclusion: Every oil made in the last 2 years has a required reduction in the Zinc dithiophosphate additives(commonly referred to as ZDDP) in them because they can "damage catalytic converters". This reduction includes high quality oils such as Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Castrol Edge, etc. ZDDP is a necessary additive for engines with flat-tappet cams such as the AMC 242.

My recommendation would be a high quality 15w40 synthetic such as Mobile 1, Redline, or Castrol Edge along with one of these two ZDDP additives:
STP Oil Treatment

Rislone Oil Supplement with Zinc/ZDDP Treatment

My personal experience using the STP product has been this: An extremely noticeable reduction in valve train noise, to the point that the valve train cant be heard over the clicking of the fuel injectors.
What is the difference between the two since Advance carries it?

We raced KOH this last year on Castrol GTX 10w30, it was the best oil I could get on short notice when it was time to fire the engine.

I haven't discussed it with Russ Pottenger yet, but I think I'd like to switch the car to VR1 20w50 before we run it again.

We're running Comp's cam break in additive with every oil change.

Nothing but the best :angel: LUCAS High Performance Synthetic Racing Oil 10-30 www.mylucasoil.com

558616_10150644493598565_640873564_9250384_1204777120_n.jpg

Back