NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 20th, 2018, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ Buildup III

I just moved the muffler as far back as I could so it stopped getting hit. I run a glass pack now so if it gets hit it wouldn't rattle
Old July 5th, 2019, 09:44
NAXJA Forum User

Very nice build
Old July 5th, 2019, 10:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpeade51 View Post
Very nice build
Yes it is. I enjoyed reading xjeeper's update too, even though the thread is a few months old.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old August 27th, 2019, 20:28
NAXJA Member # 13

More projects coming your way, but here's one that I failed to upload.

Circa, July 2016
My factory steering box had logged about 200k miles and it was getting mighty sloppy. I attempted to bandaid it by adjusting the lash in the sector shaft gear, but without any notable improvement.

I then purchase a "quality" rebuilt box from NAPA and installed it, only to discover on the first drive that it actually had more free play in the gears than the worn-out factory box.
I then sourced another box from a local part house and while discussing my issue with the seasoned counter help, he informed me that all domestic steering gear boxes are now re-manufactured/refurbished by the same company in Mexico and that they just slap a different label on the package.

Great.

I purchased the 2nd reman box and proceeded to replace the other box. Much to my chagrin, this box had as much slop in it as the previous unit.

So much for reman boxes.

I parked my XJ and returned both "new" gear boxes and then got on the phone with PSC.

The helpful steering technician asked what vehicle I was working on and how I used it and his recommendation was to go with the following PCS components:

*SG654 4 bolt steering gearbox

*SP1205C Pump with new reservoir

*PP2401 4.5" pulley ( smaller than stock, which spins faster at idle to build more pressure and improve the steering force when rock crawling in 4Low)

*Swepco 715 PS Fluid ( I opted for the AC Delco equivalent 10-5073 non-corrosive PS fluid with anti-foaming properties)

*Gates K060938 serpentine belt (1" shorter than stock, due to smaller pulley)

With all new components, installation was pretty straightforward and included 4 new Grade 8 steering box bolts, replacing both PS fluid lines and adding a Magnefine inline PS filter for added protection.

Once installed, I cycled the pump per instructions to remove air from the system and then put the front end on the ground and took my Jeep for a test drive. The steering improvement was a welcome mod and required less effort and the Jeep tracked straight and steering input was immediate and precise. No more wander or random direction changes with uneven road surfaces.

In 4wd and rock crawling, there is also a noticeable improvement in reduced steering effort and while this solution was not the cheapest route to go, I have no regrets in spending the money on these new components.

Old September 8th, 2019, 18:13
NAXJA Member # 13

Catching up on recent XJ projects.
I've never felt that the XJ trans cooling system was adequate and as I live in the high desert of Utah where ambient summer temps can reach 100*F and I frequently climb mountainous terrain both on the freeway and off-road at 4Low crawl speeds, I decided to upgrade my transmission cooling system with a B&M aluminum stacked plate transmission fluid cooler #70273 with a 15,000 BTU rating.

This unit has approximately triple the cooling surface area compared to the stock cooler and with the B&M plate style being more effective at heat dissipation than the factory tube and fin style, I have no doubt that this unit will be a significant improvement over stock.

Upon removal of the stock cooler, I discovered that this unit was manufactured by Modine. I held onto this unit, as I may plumb it into my power steering system in the future.

I made the decision to use reinforced rubber transmission tubing, brass fittings and high-quality fuel injection hose clamps for this upgrade and while some may argue the benefits of running braided stainless hose and AN fittings, I went with simplicity and off-the-shelf convenience of components. I also made the decision to bypass the radiator tank mounted heat exchanger as part of this mod.

Not being of fan of shoving ziptie anchors through the radiator/AC condenser, I picked up a length of 3/4" W x 1/8" T steel strap and cut and bent up a couple of mounting brackets to span the distance between the upper and lower header framework. I had to remove the header panel nuts to gain working space, but I left the header panel on the Jeep and simply tilted it forward for access.

Once I had the correct bracket spacing and grill clearance dialed in, I painted up the brackets and bolted them in place and then bolted up the cooler. The supplied tubing was not long enough to accommodate the routing for my install, so I sourced additional reinforced AT tubing to complete the install.

I tapped into the existing transmission fluid lines using a brass barbed male fittings on the steel feed line and rubber return line and secured all connections with fuel injection hose clamps that are designed to not pinch the tubing or resist coming loose when subject to vibration like standard worm clamps do.

With the tubing installed and the clamps double checked, I secured the tubing with zipties to eliminate chafing and also added a small section of cooling tubing which I split and ziptied around the ATF tubing where it passed under the front bulkhead below the radiator support, to prevent any potential chafing. I fired up the engine and checked for leaks and added a little ATF to accommodate for the slight increase in system capacity.

This setup works well and I will be adding an inline filter and ATF Temp gauge to the system to monitor fluid temperature.
Old May 4th, 2020, 16:07
NAXJA Member # 13

Time for some updates.

I had visions of fabbing a rear bumper out of 1.75"DOM tubing, to match my front bumper, but those visions have passed and I've gone in the direction of a pre-cut, weld yourself unit that will meet my needs and allow for some customization.

JCR DIY Rear Bumper is the one that I settled on.

The bumper parts come pre-cut and with instructions on how to fold them to proper angles.
I added some scrap tube to the process to minimize warping.

Take your time on stitch welds and alternate ends, allowing for cooling between melty passes will prevent warping and keep the unit square.

With the inside stitched, time to flip and burn the front side joints solid.

Old May 7th, 2020, 08:47
NAXJA Member # 13

Lots of grinding with a flap wheel follows the welding process, to contour the angles of the bumper.

During the test fit, I noticed that the bottom outside corners of the bumper did not tie in to the bottom of the bumper, which leaves them vulnerable to snag rocks/bending, when dropping off a ledge or boulder.

Time to break out the C.A.D (cardboard aided design) tools to remedy this issue.

Portaband and SWAG Offroad table make quick work of fabbing parts.

That will work nicely!

Corner beef completed

Next, the taillight filler pieces were formed and welded up.

Test fit to the mounting brackets, it's looking like a solid unit.

Old May 7th, 2020, 09:33
NAXJA Forum User

Nice work, Jeff!
Old May 8th, 2020, 15:58
NAXJA Member

Finish the bumper yet? I think I will follow suit, I like the looks of that bumper- but would like a tire swing incorporated. Shouldn’t be to hard.
Off-road TABLE?? Looks like a nice workspace.. definitely better then the garage floor... something I need

From all the PSC goodness you added a few posts up... did you get a tapped gearbox for hydro assist??? I know that’s a lot of coin (good products though) and as is will be a nice upgrade... but down the line hydro has to be a thought? Lockers up front and big meats equate to the stock steering not liking anything other then straight lol
Old May 13th, 2020, 13:20
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
Finish the bumper yet? I think I will follow suit, I like the looks of that bumper- but would like a tire swing incorporated. Shouldn’t be to hard.
Off-road TABLE?? Looks like a nice workspace.. definitely better then the garage floor... something I need

From all the PSC goodness you added a few posts up... did you get a tapped gearbox for hydro assist??? I know that’s a lot of coin (good products though) and as is will be a nice upgrade... but down the line hydro has to be a thought? Lockers up front and big meats equate to the stock steering not liking anything other then straight lol
Bumper is not finished yet, but I made some progress last night on the modification to tie the receiver hitch into the modified hitch mounts that are currently on my rig. Pictures will explain this better, I'll post these later this week.

The work table in a folder that I purchased about 20 years ago when a store was going out of business. Think that I paid $25 for it. I used it a ton as a mitre saw stand and various other things. The hard plastic top is sturdy but not ideal for welding projects.

Space is a premium in my 2 car garage and sometimes I like to weld outside, so I need a welding project table that is mobile and folds up for compact storage. Eastwood, Northern Tool and Miller all offer a decent unit, but I may fab up one that is a combination of the Eastwood and Miller, for a larger work surface and adjustable top on a folding frame.

I considered a ported PSC box, but my rig will never run a 35"+ and I have no problems steering with my ARB locked, so I didn't see the need to jump up to the hydro assist option.
Old May 15th, 2020, 14:16
NAXJA Member

Never say never!
Old May 19th, 2020, 09:31
NAXJA Forum User

XJ Buildup III

Awesome build.

I'll be getting a porta and now. That's amazing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old May 19th, 2020, 10:25
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
Never say never!
This is my 3rd XJ since 1996 and I've had this one since 2007. If I was going to run 35's, it would have happened already.
Old May 19th, 2020, 17:21
NAXJA Member

Cool beans... After I ripped the gear box off (like completely off the unibody, ratchet straps and tow to get home with barely any turning) on my ZJ, I went with a wagoneer 4 bolt and a steering brace... cracked the unibody in a FEW places so added assist to alleviate the stress on the unibody when turning... did all the carnage with 33s.. added the assist, but went to 35s shortly there after.

I think a ram does more to distribute the the load and take stress off other parts and places of the Jeep as well as assist in turning of course. Could be dead wrong but that was my experience and why I pulled the trigger on my last rig... it turned pretty ok locked on 33s before it though too. Was sticky to be sure, but good nuff. The stress cracks is what led me to the assist... and well ya it helped turn the 33s (only for a month) and the 35s with ease

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; May 19th, 2020 at 17:27.
Old May 20th, 2020, 13:05
NAXJA Member # 13

View of my rig's current look, prior to rear bumper completion and pending roof rack install......more on this to come.