• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longfeild "U" Joint- 1... Warn Axle Shaft- 0

FarmerMatt

NAXJA Forum User
I put it through a true test on Sledge Hammer this last week. We were just before the mailbox a couple hundred yards when I got tangled up a little. I was backing up to get a better line when a rear tire started burping some air. I gave it some gas to get out of that spot when the front end whent off like a shot gun. It split the inner yoke in half & bent the ears on the outer. The Longfeild joint was in such good shape that I considered reusing it, but some of the bushing inserts were dinged up & after the stress & shock it took it will be better to just replace it. Just thought some would like to see some real world tests.

Matt
botw3056.jpg

all i can say to that is "wow!"

this would probably qualify for warrenty, since the u-joint really didn't fail.

hope they don't try to back out of that.

I too am impressed that the longfield held up that well, however it should be mentioned that the front wheels were strait when that happened where the U-joint is strongest.

Still to the point, I think the Longfield is an excellent alternative to the CTMs when $$$s are a concern.

Matt have you talked to longfield yet to see if they are giving you a better deal on the replacements or are willing to sell you just caps and bushings? Certainly not that I think its the joints fault and that they should be obligated, but just that they might be inclined since you blew apart some warn stuff :)

I'm betting the green paint had something to do with this carnage.

CRASH

Gary E said:
I too am impressed that the longfield held up that well, however it should be mentioned that the front wheels were strait when that happened where the U-joint is strongest.

Still to the point, I think the Longfield is an excellent alternative to the CTMs when $$$s are a concern.

Matt have you talked to longfield yet to see if they are giving you a better deal on the replacements or are willing to sell you just caps and bushings? Certainly not that I think its the joints fault and that they should be obligated, but just that they might be inclined since you blew apart some warn stuff :)

They are very nice people & are taking care of me. In reality I'm going to buy another set for some spare shafts. You can't beat the price when it's less than one CTM for the set. Nothing against CTM. They seem to be very strong, but I'm a cheap SOB & can honestly say that these are a viable alternative. Longfeilds are WCGIC approved.

Matt

you should post this (if you haven't already) on the Pirates board, many people there have been wondering about the longfield joint and wanting some real-world testing

i'm impressed, but i think with stock shafts I'll probably still blow them before normal 760x's

It was the green paint the axles were trying to get away from! :D

So the axle warranty went well, are you going to try for the winch????

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
It was the green paint the axles were trying to get away from! :D

So the axle warranty went well, are you going to try for the winch????

hinkley

don't tell me you boys smoked a warn winch motor did you???

if so, that makes three warn motors that I know of right here on naxja within the last 6 months.....

Beezil said:
don't tell me you boys smoked a warn winch motor did you???

if so, that makes three warn motors that I know of right here on naxja within the last 6 months.....

No the motor works fine, the bolt didn't Hinkley thinks someone pulled a farmer though

P2220068.JPG

I haven't heard anything on this brand of joint before. Search turned up nothing as well. Where did you get these? Guess i will have to check out pirate.

Hinkleyed is a good term to use for it. I highly, highly doubt that warn's warranty deals with a hinkleyed winch. I haven't tried yet though.

The Longfeild joints are spicer 760 joints that have been heat treated & cryo treated. They than press in bushings to take the place of the standard needle bearings. I don't tought them has being stronger than CTM's. I tought them has being strong enough for me & a heck of a lot cheaper than CTM's. In my book if they're strong enough to withstand a warn axle breaking than they're strong enough.

Matt

MAtt What the hell are you running? Did you swap in a blown, nitrus, stroked 4.0? And isn't that a EB 44 you got on the front?

Back