NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter > Other Rides and Builds
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Other Rides and Builds A place for the discussion of Colorado "Side Projects"

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2015, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Big Red Prerunner

this thing is fricken cool
Old February 7th, 2015, 17:23
my cats breath smells

Can't wait to hopefully buy a silverado when I get home and eventually build it into a long travel go fast toy. I've been addicted to sand fans dirt roads for a while now, better than gooing slow in the rocks, at least temporarily.
Old March 6th, 2015, 20:30
NAXJA Forum User

I havent made a lot of progress lately on the truck between work and family, but i have been doing a lot of research on rear ends and trying to make a decision on what i want to build/run. My first, obvious choice was a 9"....but 9s kinda suck.

I definitely dont want a semifloat rear end, so i decided if i was to run a 9 it would have to be a 35 spline, disc brake, full floater, in a fabricated housing. After pricing out several options from different companies I decided that the amount of money i would end up spending on a ff9 was going to be more then i was wanting to spend. After looking into a few other options i decided that a 14 bolt is the direction i want to go.

I looked into 5 lug hubs for the 14 bolt, but I decided to swap the front end over to 8 lug to match the rear after i got my hands on a factory disc brake "metric" 14 bolt. This axle is a tab bit wider then the older 14 bolts and will come close to matching the track width of my extended ttb front end.

So now that i have an axle, next week ill be ordering up 4.88s, an install kit, and a yukon grizzly locker. Once the axle is close to going under the truck it will be getting a truss also. The first part showed up today for my axle....it was supposed to show up bare though...not green

Old March 22nd, 2015, 22:04
NAXJA Forum User

Picked up a tcase for the truck yesterday, my truck has a borg warner 1356 thats electronically shifted and has a slip yoke tailhousing on it, and the one i got is manually shifted and has a fixed yoke on the back. I powerwashed it today and found out that the tcase i bought off of craigslist is actually a borg warner 1345.

I was bummed at first but a little reading and i found out that they are nearly identical except for the fact that the 1345 has an all aluminum case and half of the 1356 case is magnesium, and the 45 has a 2.72 low range vs a 2.69 low range in the 1356. So other then the case supposedly not being as strong, and having a better low range there arent any other differences worth mentioning that i have learned about yet.

The other cool thing i learned about was the fact that my truck has a "programmable" control module for the computer. It was pretty simple...just jumping a wire, then using the odo reset buttons to change a number that coincides with tire size. So now my speedometer reads correctly and my transmission shifts a little better now, Im happy!

Oh yeah I also finally fish plated/capped off the front crossmember i built to hang a front bumper off of

Old March 23rd, 2015, 19:10
NAXJA Forum User

I ordered some stuff from the bronco graveyard and most of it in the mail today. I ditched the chrome grille in favor of a dark grey one

Next up will be to update the headlights... let me know your opinion, should I buy new crystal clear headlights and corners and buff the amber lenses. Or pick up a set of one piece black housing "projector" ebay specials.

http://www.topgearautosport.com/part...and_LED. html

I know the projectors are kind of hokey but i really like the look of the one piece headlight/corner/turn lense and the black housing is cool, but i also think that the classic look of the truck with clear lenses on top and amber on the bottom is more period correct and would look nice with some buffing and new lenses. Im on the fence...
Old March 23rd, 2015, 22:34
NAXJA Member

Can't stand those bug-eye projector lights. Half the time I see a vehicle running those kinds of lights, one or more of the damn things is burned out/not functioning.

I thought these looked good.

These appear to be clear lenses with black bezels?

End of Watch: Jeffco: MC1, 1312 & 0369. Yucca-Man 1215...... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----

Last edited by YELLAHEEP; March 23rd, 2015 at 22:38.
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:44
NAXJA Forum User

Destroy all amber.
Old April 6th, 2015, 21:09
NAXJA Forum User

Ive always wanted to to check out the easter jeep safari in Moab, and i finially did this year...in a ford haha! I took friday off and drove out there with my girlfriend and daughter, met up with my friend aaron (owns my old xj) in breck, and headed out for the weekend.

After checking out the vendor show which was really cool we setup camp and hopped in the xj for a little sunset run up mini lions back and the first part of fins and things.

I dont know if it was the trail or it being dark out, or just being in the xj with a cage and no interior...but my daughter was terrified! I felt so bad for her so we nixed the plan of us all riding in the xj for the weekend and picked out a nice easy scenic trail that i could take my truck on so she would be more comfortable and hopefully enjoy herself.

We ended up running Seven Mile Rim trail and man did we have a great day! Apart from a few snowy drives to work this winter ive never even had the truck in 4wd or in the dirt so i wasnt sure what to expect out of it. I babied the truck most of the day since it had to get us home and its my only vehicle right now. But as the day went on and i became more confident in the truck i started trying more and more obstacles, other then wipeout hill id say i did about 90% of the big ledges/climbs/drops/obstacles we came to.

Ive never had something with such a long wheelbase (138"ish) and i know it wouldnt make a good rock crawler, but man was it fun to take it up and down waterfalls and ledges...it walked through them like nothing. There were even a couple where the cherokee and jk would spin the tires a little and my truck would go right up.

I started out having low expectations but i have to say i was very impressed with the truck and had a ton of fun out there. It was nice to do wheeling other then just rock crawling on a trail from start to finish. I forgot how much fun adventure type offroading used to be for me and still is, having my family enjoy it so much really opened my eyes to that. We saw some great sights, had a great time, and made it out there and home safely with no realy problems!

p.s. I went with the all clear lights!
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proracedriver616 View Post
I havent made a lot of progress lately on the truck between work and family, but i have been doing a lot of research on rear ends and trying to make a decision on what i want to build/run. My first, obvious choice was a 9"....but 9s kinda suck.

I definitely dont want a semifloat rear end, so i decided if i was to run a 9 it would have to be a 35 spline, disc brake, full floater, in a fabricated housing. After pricing out several options from different companies I decided that the amount of money i would end up spending on a ff9 was going to be more then i was wanting to spend. After looking into a few other options i decided that a 14 bolt is the direction i want to go.

I looked into 5 lug hubs for the 14 bolt, but I decided to swap the front end over to 8 lug to match the rear after i got my hands on a factory disc brake "metric" 14 bolt. This axle is a tab bit wider then the older 14 bolts and will come close to matching the track width of my extended ttb front end.

So now that i have an axle, next week ill be ordering up 4.88s, an install kit, and a yukon grizzly locker. Once the axle is close to going under the truck it will be getting a truss also. The first part showed up today for my axle....it was supposed to show up bare though...not green

Where do you fill the differential with gear oil? Does the housing have drain and fill plugs?
Old April 8th, 2015, 16:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
Where do you fill the differential with gear oil? Does the housing have drain and fill plugs?
14b's fill from the housing
Old April 8th, 2015, 19:48
NAXJA Forum User

So we were sitting around the campfire saturday night talking about 14 bolts and 9" rear ends, Aaron (the new owner of my old xj) was talking about building a couple fabricated 9" housings for the xj that he picked up last year off of craigslist. A friend of mine buys the factory brake 14 bolt rear ends by the pallet full and sells them for $100 so we were telling him to stop wasting money on shitty 9" axles and just build a 14b and be done with it. He texted me this picture before we even got home on sunday....

He is staying out in moab all week so he went and ran rusty nail after we left, I guess he did the whole trail and was playing around on a small ledge at the end of the trail waiting for a buddy of his when he heard a loud pop about halfway up the ledge.

First a factory shaft broke going over a small rock @ ram when i owned the jeep and destroyed the dropout and ring/pinion all at the same time. Aaron bought the jeep and put chromoly shafts in the back and picked up another factory dropout to get the jeep going again. I know it was just a factory center section but damn....what a catastrophic failure failure for such a small obstacle he was going up.

If you are planning on running a 9" in your jeep I would highly recommend just sticking to an 8.8 a 44 or stepping up to a 14. Even if you are planning on buying a good pinion support, good center section, chromoly shafts, and disc brakes...you will still be stuck with an axle with a weak housing, ridiculously small pinion, small carrier bearings, and worst of all it will be a semifloat! 9"....never again
Old April 8th, 2015, 21:06
NAXJA Forum User

This is super common on the non "n" factory housings.....this is why I picked up a strange center section for mine
Old April 8th, 2015, 21:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflores View Post
This is super common on the non "n" factory housings.....this is why I picked up a strange center section for mine

Good luck! 😜
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:43
NAXJA Member #1096

holy catastrophic failure batman. That must have left a nasty 90-wt oil-slick-rock patch...
Old May 9th, 2015, 16:02
NAXJA Forum User

I have almost all the new parts gathered to make my long travel front end 8 lug and jon is almost finished up building my 14 bolt so i made a trip to 4 wheel parts to pick some more parts up today!

My buddy jon has a commercial account setup now that he has his own shop so i had him order up the wheels and tires and a few other things a few weeks ago. I gave him three different tires to choose from and told him to pick for me, then he wouldnt tell me what he got lol. So after waiting a few weeks I finally picked them up today to happily find out that i am the new owner of four brand new 35x12.5r17 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs! Hopefully ill have the rest of the parts accumulated and can get the front end under my truck sometime in the next month or so and then the rear end will go in shortly after.