• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Merc....

Stang5lgt

NAXJA Forum User
Since I see there is new build area I figured I would share my latest project.
Being the Ford guy(God help me). I wanted a 5.0, I wanted more room then a XJ, I wanted more comfort and luxury. Lastly I wanted a frame. So I bought a loaded 98 Mercury Mountaineer on 1/18/11. With plans on swapping in HP30 from a XJ. Paid $1500 for the truck with 121k miles. I leather and fully loaded.

CIMG0498.jpg

CIMG0501.jpg

Pretty familiar with most of the parts of this vehicle. 302 same as my Mustangs have. 4R70W is a AOD on steroids with 2.84 first gear. Rear axle is 31 spline 8.8 with disc brakes same one used for Jeep swaps. :D

Ordered some parts for it.
CIMG0509.jpg

First mod was Cherry bomb Vortex Exhaust can't have 5.0 at my house that doesn't sound like one should.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU81A7Dfdxk

Last edited:
such an old man ride! lol sunroof too huh? you are killin me. gonna be pretty sweet tho :D:thumbup:

such an old man ride! lol sunroof too huh? you are killin me. gonna be pretty sweet tho :D:thumbup:
Not only sunroof but premium Ford sound system have 7 speaks. Two tweeters, 4 mid range, and one 8 inch sub in the back. Sounds awesome for stock. LOL And the kids have there own radio in the rear seat with head phone jacks. Rear has it's own climate controls. And I think there is room for XJ in rear hatch just in case I have rescue one off the trail. :D

I just got the front track bar bolt replaced with one that is long enough and I put Jim's old WJ shocks in the front for now. They work great. Took it down the street and did couple 3 point turns. Steering works awesome. Bad part is no rear shocks so it bounces like one of those low riders with hydraulics. Those rear leafs are 10 inches longer then a XJ leafs so the ride is nice. Going to start the rear shocks after I eat couple more donuts.

Last edited:
looks good josh! and I hear ya on the AWD... significant progress on the NP231 swap for the WJ today to get rid of mine.

I've been hoping that for several weekends... Jim came by on his way home from Ram today though, and said his WJ did fine!

meh, mine bow out with the JK axle, in a bit won't hurt anything.

I have an Exploder with the 5.0L. It has been the most reliable engine you could ever ask for. I have 250k+ miles on it and it runs as good as the day it was new. A good percentage of those miles were doing heavy towing (7000lb).

I have an Exploder with the 5.0L. It has been the most reliable engine you could ever ask for. I have 250k+ miles on it and it runs as good as the day it was new. A good percentage of those miles were doing heavy towing (7000lb).
Yeah they are great motors once Ford went to roller cam in the 80s pretty much made them one of the most reliable Ford engines ever. My Mustang 5.0 has taken a real beating over the years had a blower on it for couple years never quit and still going strong.

Back