• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Impounding an enlisted man's olds

beav350

NAXJA Forum User
I drive a tow truck in Boulder, CO, & today I was sent down to Golden to pick up a marine & his no-go '87 Comanche. He was stuck on the highway w/ a blown tranny that Aamco rebuilt for him 6 months ago for $2300 (that's alot of $$). While towing him back to Boulder he told me how he's been in Iraq since September, he got back to America yesterday, & his wife told him that some evil tow company impounded his '84 Olds 88 last week. Well that was me. The property manager asked me to impound it because they had complaints from the HOA members that the vehicle hadn't moved in awhile, & they have a nonsense rule about no parking for more than 72 hours. Well you can't drive your car every 72 hours when you're overseas serving your country. This guy was very pleasant about it though, so I told him it was me that towed it. Since it's the weekend, my $$ hungry, greedy boss is not around. I just gave him the car back for no charge and ditched the paperwork in the trash. My boss would fire me, but I felt it was the right thing to do. I dispatch myself on the weekend, so no-one knew I was helping him today w/ his Jeep, so I offered to let that go too, but he refused & insisted on paying me. The truth is I wouldn't mind one bit towing him for free, as he & his fellow enlisted men deserve a lot more than that for representing our country!

f the boss. If he complains then you go to the local news guys with what an a hole he is.

Another tow company in town would love to treat vets like you did.

Way to go ! :clap:

Thanks for helping him out...
Hope things work out for that jarhead...
Glad he was able to come home...
My sincere condolences to the families of those that won't...

030413_war_10.jpg

Good job, ya did the right thing IMHO.
Glenn

beav350 said:
I drive a tow truck in Boulder, CO, & today I was sent down to Golden to pick up a marine & his no-go '87 Comanche. He was stuck on the highway w/ a blown tranny that Aamco rebuilt for him 6 months ago for $2300 (that's alot of $$). While towing him back to Boulder he told me how he's been in Iraq since September, he got back to America yesterday, & his wife told him that some evil tow company impounded his '84 Olds 88 last week. Well that was me. The property manager asked me to impound it because they had complaints from the HOA members that the vehicle hadn't moved in awhile, & they have a nonsense rule about no parking for more than 72 hours. Well you can't drive your car every 72 hours when you're overseas serving your country. This guy was very pleasant about it though, so I told him it was me that towed it. Since it's the weekend, my $$ hungry, greedy boss is not around. I just gave him the car back for no charge and ditched the paperwork in the trash. My boss would fire me, but I felt it was the right thing to do. I dispatch myself on the weekend, so no-one knew I was helping him today w/ his Jeep, so I offered to let that go too, but he refused & insisted on paying me. The truth is I wouldn't mind one bit towing him for free, as he & his fellow enlisted men deserve a lot more than that for representing our country!

Ahhhh, thank god for people like you. That was a cool move on your part. hope the leader of the HOA get his worth. The biggest wank of a Ahole was the HOA head mans kid where i lived long ago. They tried to make move my 4x4 suburban saying it was unsightly. I told them what he could do with it.

Fine work and I hope your boss has bad short-term memory.

Good chance to say a good word for Disabled American Veterans (DAV), a group very close to my heart. They run vans nationwide 24/7/365 to provide transportation to and from VA hospitals for vets who have none. The vans are equipped for every medical condition, the drivers are volunteers--pleasant, patient, & dependable.

I have a disabled son who lives with me--hydrocephalic/epileptic/intercranial shunt resulting from a head injury in the Coast Guard. He can't drive, there's no public transportation and there are times I can't drive him. I don't know what we or tens of thousands of other vets would do without this magnificent organization. Remember them when you want to make a tax-deductible charitable gift.

Most cool!

We got this one old guy who comes into where I work every saturday, and orders the same pizzas (like 5), for his family. We give him about a 50% discount, and I always stop what i'm doing and carry his food out to his car for him. I like that good feeling of helping someone out who fought hard so I could have what I do today.

Good for you, Beav.

I have a somehat similar story from when I was in the Army. That was almost 40 years ago, but an ex-Marine helped out a kid on his way home from basic training and I've never forgotten it.

Eagle said:
Good for you, Beav.

I have a somehat similar story from when I was in the Army. That was almost 40 years ago, but an ex-Marine helped out a kid on his way home from basic training and I've never forgotten it.

so are you the kid....or the x-marine ?

hats off to you man, i hope more people can act the way you do

Being a soldier myself (go cav), I must say I appreciate your gesture. I wish everyone woul leave my wife alone when I get deployed. Unfortunately, it seems that as soon as I leave the door, everyone starts lining up knowing that I'm not around to take care of stuff.

beav350 said:
The property manager asked me to impound it because they had complaints from the HOA members that the vehicle hadn't moved in awhile, & they have a nonsense rule about no parking for more than 72 hours. Well you can't drive your car every 72 hours when you're overseas serving your country.

Way to be Beav!

If i were this guy i'd go after the head of the HOA.

Christ, if an employer is bound by law to have a man's job waiting after serving then a group of civilians has no legal right to remove a man's personal property from his home.

Then again, after just getting home this guy is probably just looking for peace and serenity and a fight is probably the last thing on his mind.

God i hate Home Associations... :mad:

You know, you might want to tell him to check the SCRA (Servicemember's Civil Relief Act). It's a federal act written shortly after WWII and recently revised regarding military folks on deployments. I think there's a clause in there about repossessions and impoundments. Essentially, it says they cannot happen unless you are in such wrong that there is no other way to go about it. If you still have contact with him, tell him to check it out. It may be that the Neighborhood Nazi's are in violation of federal law. Not that he can really do much about it now, but he can at least bring it up to them and prevent it from happening in the future.

Just a thought...

David, (one of the) resident Army guys
Air Cav!

Back