• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Valley Run June 21st

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
Alrighty - It's time for the First Annual NAXJA Deer Valley / Slick Rock run. The dates are Saturday June 21st and Sunday June 22nd. I will be up there early Friday morning and leaving either late Sunday night or maybe even Monday morning.

Camping will be off of Highway 4 about 20 miles past Bear Valley. The camp area is called Hermit Valley http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus/calaveras/camping/hermit.shtml. There are plenty of spots for tow rigs and pop up trailers.

Deer Valley Trail is fun, GREAT scenery and has a number challenging spots. It's approximately 7 miles long and goes from Hwy 4 thru to Hwy 88. Depending on how many rigs it will take anywhere from 6 to 7 hours to run. The Trailhead is literally 20 feet from where we will be camping.

Minimum requirements are 3" of lift, 31's and at least one solid tow point.

We are going to run DV from the Highway 4 Side, head in to the 2nd water crossing and have a bite to eat. The trail does not loop so we will head back the way we came in. There is camping on the 88 side but not enough for a group larger than 3 rigs and it is a PITA to have a group larger than 4 rigs pack up and move camp spots.

The plan is to run Deer Valley on Saturday at 9 am sharp. Then run Slick Rock on Sunday.

Slick Rock is about a 2 hour run depending on how many rigs. It's approximately 6 miles from where we will be camping. Another fun trail with a few more challenging spots.

I checked with FarmerMatt and he is having his annual 4th of July BBQ on July 5th. That gives a week in-between the run and his party :)

Any questions send me a PM. This should be a great trip.

Mark

Sweet Mark! I've never been out that way - and am looking forward to this run!

:thumbup:

Thanks for putting this together for us! :cheers:

depending on how the rig build up goes I'm planning on being there.
I'm assuming this run is open to non xj folk?

Jimbo_1321 said:
depending on how the rig build up goes I'm planning on being there.
I'm assuming this run is open to non xj folk?

Yeah - no rig type restrictions on this one. Just gotta be cool and have fun.

sounds fun, ill have to check my schedule.

as long as the xj aint in peices and the vibes are gone ill be there. id love to meet you guys. i used to run slickrock in about 30-40 mins in my scout back in the day. havent ran it with the xj...

This sounds like a blast. i would probably want to wheel one day and see some landmarks another. Any recommendations, for a California newbi, of some stuff to see around there?

This is a great trail. I am going to try and make this one.

SharkXJ said:
Yeah - no rig type restrictions on this one. Just gotta be cool and have fun.
Damn, that means I'm out. JK
I have to get a few things together, like time off, and get this lift together (4.5in stock arms and DB)

How deep is the water at most?

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Damn, that means I'm out. JK
I have to get a few things together, like time off, and get this lift together (4.5in stock arms and DB)

How deep is the water at most?

Not too deep. A couple of pix from my trip in 2006.

47b6d936b3127ccecef6bd22be8d00000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

47b6d936b3127ccecef6d3e3be7b00000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

A few shots of the trail

This is the first obstacle and probably the hardest spot
47b6d936b3127ccecef698df7fca00000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

My bro
47b6d936b3127ccecef614c0fea300000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

47b6d936b3127ccecef7d74d9e9b00000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

47b6d936b3127ccecef7064a5f5c00000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

47b7d923b3127ccec1d1d3765baa00000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

47b7d923b3127ccec1d116a79ab100000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

47b7d923b3127ccec1d1e5035bc400000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

A couple of things I forgot to add.

I will be cooking Breakfast Burritos on Saturday Morning.

Dinner is open, if you guys want to do a pot luck on Saturday Night lemme know and I can put together a list closer to the date.

Something I thought would be cool to have this year is a desiganted Trail Photographer. We all take a ton of pix but they are rarely of us in our own rigs. So I thought it would be fun to have someone with a digital camera who would be willing to post up at each obsticle and shoot pix and shoot random shots around camp. If I was riding shot gun I would be more than happy to. I did it last year on a trip and it is actually a lot of fun. So if someone on the trip has a buddy, wife or girlfirend riding shot gun who wouldn't mind snapping pix that would be most awesome....

This should be a great time......

SharkXJ said:
A couple of things I forgot to add.

I will be cooking Breakfast Burritos on Saturday Morning.

Now I might have to get up earlier!

Trail Photographer. this is a great idea, I am going to be taking pics all over the trail for a write-up on my site and in our new trail section here too :dunno:.

I am not sure who I will have tag along to take pics though I dont mind doing a little double duty if need be.

aint got nothin goin on so im in.:clap:

jpcherokeekid said:
aint got nothin goin on so im in.:clap:

Well crap if your going I am definately going :roll:

I am a newbie here and I would love to try the Dear Valley Run. What is the level of difficulty? I have an 01 Sport with a 4.5 RC lift and 31" Mud Tires , Pretty much stock beyond that . If I take it Slow would my rig get trough ? Is there go arounds for the tougher stuff? Not loolking to come home with a trashed Jeep. My Brother In law just rolled his 98 it was toataled. Thanks Rich

GREATWHITEJEEP said:
I am a newbie here and I would love to try the Dear Valley Run. What is the level of difficulty? I have an 01 Sport with a 4.5 RC lift and 31" Mud Tires , Pretty much stock beyond that . If I take it Slow would my rig get trough ? Is there go arounds for the tougher stuff? Not loolking to come home with a trashed Jeep. My Brother In law just rolled his 98 it was toataled. Thanks Rich

You will be fine, just dont drive it like those idiot toyota jerks.

Back