• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

other mods

bmacxj

NAXJA Forum User
daily driver lookin to get a new jeep and lift 4.5-6.5 with 33-35. wat other mods r needed and how much to they run price wise. thans. mac

(brands and sites please)

ye thnks. can tpe. hav ben searin fr weks. sory to nconvenence u. i dont know jack bout anything so i dont know what i need

you need the lift kit, SYE and CV driveshaft, gears, tires, wheels, and patience.

im still working the kinks out of my 6.5" lift. theres lots of little unexpected things that will need addressing along the way. expect to spend no less than 2 grand to do it right. i have close to 3 grand in my suspension and drivetrain alone. that doesnt include tires and wheels.
good luck.

bmacxj said:
i dont know jack bout anything so i dont know what i need

If you don't have a clue what to search for, you won't get too far with the search tool. Read! Read everything you can get your hands on. Go back 25 pages on this forum and read your way to the present. Keep in mind that there will be at least two ways to approach just about anything you could ever do to your rig. What you’re looking for is what will be best for you. Try to avoid short cuts or the cheapest way out. What provides the best value for your money and the finished (yea, right) product.

Tim

re-gearing just the front or the back will cause t-case rip-apart-age

imagine a board that you and a buddy are carrying, and he is walking slower than you, but you keep maintaining the same speed...

doesnt work...

Yes, it's america, but don't dream so big. 4.5" - 6" lifts are big ticket items, if you're worrying about the price tag you need to go with something smaller. 33's and 35's are just too big for an unexperienced jp'er. If you're really serious about getting a jeep and learning how to use it, I would recommend a 3". Rusty's offers a 3" aal for 225. You should start out with 31's. I'm basically repeating everything everyone else has said. You're trying to run before you've learned to walk. Get my drift?

uvaldetxj said:
Yes, it's america, but don't dream so big. 4.5" - 6" lifts are big ticket items, if you're worrying about the price tag you need to go with something smaller. 33's and 35's are just too big for an unexperienced jp'er. If you're really serious about getting a jeep and learning how to use it, I would recommend a 3". Rusty's offers a 3" aal for 225. You should start out with 31's. I'm basically repeating everything everyone else has said. You're trying to run before you've learned to walk. Get my drift?

Sorry, don't agree with this. I see nothing wrong with starting out with 4-6" of lift and 33's if a person knows that's what they want to do. It's cheaper in the long run to ask questions and investigate (just like the poster is doing), then build it how you want it the first time, rather than stepping gradually through stages. Nothing wrong with a gradual buildup, and there are benefits, but it can be more expensive in the long run, though it's defintely cheaper in the short run.

Now, as far as learning to drive, that is a gradual thing, and starting out smaller and working your way up is good, but has more to do with the trails you run than your equipment.

Now, to partially answer his question, here's a couple of things to keep in mind. You can run the stock steering up to about 5" of lift, go over that and you'll begin to have problems. The stock axles (and steering) can't handle 35" tires, and are marginal with 33" tires depending on what year model XJ you have. When searching for info, look for axle upgrades as well as suspension info, and steering. Also, search for stuff about trimming, and gears, and then lockers. For prices, go through the 4x4 magazines a shop the ads, there's prices for everything that will give you an idea of what you're up against. For cheaper solutions, we can help around here once you have a few more specific questions.

Have fun,

i just got a 97 sport with 87k on it. ive basically figured id get the rusys 4.5 with shackles and spacers to fit 33s, or the 6.5, 5.5 RE. do i need anyhign other than gears SYE and drive shaft and can gears wait. thanks

dude. you DONT need 6+ inches of lift to fit 33's. 4.5" is plenty for 33's and you wont have to trim very much and be way more stable.

i have the rustys 4.5" lift with shackles and spacers and i run 36's with some trimming and no rubbing.

I am all for wheelin' it stock, then with a small lift to get to "know" your rig and learn to wheel. Problem is, there isn't really anywhere legal to wheel in Maryland that's worthwhile so you have to go to the playgrounds. To play at the playgrounds you need 33's. Most places 'round here like Paragon or Rausch Creek have trails for rigs with smaller than 33" tires, and they would be a lot of fun for a newbie... the first day or two :(

After that it's all the same and you'll be buying a set of 33's anyhow.

Get some recovery points, some straps, a fire extinguisher, a CB, and a flag. Join a local club that goes to these places mentioned above and take your XJ to the stocker trails and have fun for a weekend or two. A good club and their guides will teach you what you need to know and you'll have a better idea what you need and what you want. Factor that into what you'll be able to afford and you'll be much more sure which direction to go.

PM me if you want some club info, there's a few around me.

bmacxj said:
to fit 33s..... and can gears wait.

Myself, I wouldn't go any larger than 31's without re-gearing. There are plenty around here that have, but I still wanted some kind of low range on the trail. An important factor for drivability on the trailo will be rather you have an auto or a stick. You will get along better with the auto on 33's.

NOTE: The preceeding is a personal oppinion and though others may wish to disagree, none of us will claim to be wrong more than 99% of the time.

TIM

If you do go 4.5" to 6" range, do something with the brake lines. 3" is close to max without changing, or at lest altering them.

that's my .02 for now, I'll come up with more later. (just to be able to keep adding to the bill :D )
Daryl

I love it. "Do a search, nothing is going to be handed to you." then everyone goes out and trys to tell this guy what he needs. When someone pulls out the search card, everyone should stick to it. Nothing was handed out when I was a noob, I had to search and read. And by the way...it's America, not america. :soapbox:

rant off...

Urban Redneck said:
I love it. "Do a search, nothing is going to be handed to you." then everyone goes out and trys to tell this guy what he needs. When someone pulls out the search card, everyone should stick to it. Nothing was handed out when I was a noob, I had to search and read. And by the way...it's America, not america. :soapbox:

rant off...
It's quite understandable that the original poster was unable to find anything by searching...after all, putting letters together into a coherent sentence was pretty tough so I'd imagine searching wouldn't bring back many hits that way...

Hint to the original poster - look at the sigs around here with Jeep specs.

Back