• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Didn't Pass Inspection .... NO Surprise

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
I took it in last night with all my fingers crossed.

It passed emmisions fine, but the safety inspection revealed a whole list of things.

License plate is hanging on by only one screw and doesn't have a light.

The axle side bushing on my track bar is broken (maybe thats why my steering is all over the place)

My tail pipe doesn't exit outside of the body (maybe I shouldn't have just cut it off)

One of the parking lights is out (I wonder if they know the bulb is fine, but there is a short somewhere)

The parking brake cables are either broken or not hooked up (I was hoping they wouldn't notice that)

I have a leaky fuel line by the filter

My water pump leaks a little bit (so what)

It needs alligned (don't all Jeeps?)

Man, I wish I lived somewhere that didn't have safety inspection.

Time to get to work!!!!!

Re: Jeep Didn't Pass Inspection .... Big Surprise

wow, some of that stuff I can understand (Brakes and fuel leak, lights missing or not working etc... ) but leaking h20 pump and alignment? how can they tell if the alignment is off if there are front end components that need to be replaced (track bar bushing)

I took it in last night with all my fingers crossed.

It passed emmisions fine, but the safety inspection revealed a whole list of things.

License plate is hanging on by only one screw and doesn't have a light.

I was worried about this one when I remounted my plate. Lowes has a cute little chrome light that you can mount right to the license plate that works well.
The axle side bushing on my track bar is broken (maybe thats why my steering is all over the place)
Interesting... call up Motion Offroad and ask them if its common for that bushing to fail in less than 2000 miles...
My tail pipe doesn't exit outside of the body (maybe I shouldn't have just cut it off)

D-Town Tire didn't have a problem with the way mine is. I ran it over the rear axle and ended it aimed down just behind it.

One of the parking lights is out (I wonder if they know the bulb is fine, but there is a short somewhere)
Might be the socket, I had this problem recently too. Shouldn't be hard to fix.
The parking brake cables are either broken or not hooked up (I was hoping they wouldn't notice that)
Duuuhhh... not gonna pass without them, I told you that...
I have a leaky fuel line by the filter
Easy...
My water pump leaks a little bit (so what)
Agreed..
It needs alligned (don't all Jeeps?)
Easy...
Man, I wish I lived somewhere that didn't have safety inspection.

Time to get to work!!!!!

Better get busy...
A.

Damn you need to find a "friendly place"...did you bang the owners wife or something??

Some of those things, lights out and parking brake inop. you probably should have fixed first but after that they were just making a laundry list on you.

If PA is anything like MA, then the problem you've got now is all those things will be red flagged in the computer.

My '96 had a leaky water pump for two years in a row.

wtf?

and alignment they must have tagged on there because they figured if you have them do the work for the bushing they would need to re-align it.

Anything that can be described as "cute, little, and chrome" is NOT going on my Jeep.

do you have a tire carrier? did you move the light?

I took my stock light out and just screwed it in to the side with L-brackets and extended the stock wire... Because yes... I am that cheap!:)

do you have a tire carrier? did you move the light?

I took my stock light out and just screwed it in to the side with L-brackets and extended the stock wire... Because yes... I am that cheap!:)

yeah hit the junk yard and pull the light off something else and just screw it on there. I would also consider taking it somewhere different maybe.

Here in Pa if he takes it to another facility he has to pay again. He has 30-60 days iirc to repair the items and get stickered without additional charge.

You get charged here pass or fail.

Here in Pa if he takes it to another facility he has to pay again. He has 30-60 days iirc to repair the items and get stickered without additional charge.

You get charged here pass or fail.

Yeah I live here too, haha. Well its a matter of whats gonna cost more & be easier or harder at this point.

sound like the shop is trying to get you for all they can.
H2O pump should fail it
alignment shouldn't fail it, unless it was that bad on the on rode test that they deam it unsafe to drive.

It should have the new emission sticker on then correct? If not and you paid for it, I would go get it, you paid for it already right? (It used to be you couldn't get the safety sticker without getting the emission sticker first.). Fix a few of the obvious/easy things that SHOULD get fixed(light, plate screw,fuel leak, cheap chrome tailpipe extension if that would do it for you) and try and find a more "Jeep friendly place" and eat the $30 spent when you failed. Just don't ask anybody on here to post their "Jeep friendly place" on here, that should be done via PM's or email, gotta look out for the shop that is helping you out.

Last edited:

I should clarify .... I am not un-happy with the shop .... I actually like them very much. Everything they found should and will be fixed before it passes inspection. I'm not complaining about them at all.

And they will more than likely not force me to fix the leaky pump or have it alligned.

You guys have some good ideas about the light. Thanks!!

I was just about to say... It sounds like most of that stuff is work that you should WANT to do. Just always stinks when you HAVE to do it haha.

The ones that always irk me are the holes in the floor. The last time I had my 94 inspected they got me for that. So I had to do something that I absolutely despise. I had to rivet some alum over the holes. Haha.

Good luck getting it fixed! See joey if you need a water pump...he'll know what I mean.

J.

idea-

fix what needs to be fixed before you go to the inspection shop

I've made a little progress today already ..... which basically means I've spent money:laugh:

I ordered new e-brake cables for the rear, a new bulb and socket for the marker light, and I'm having Rubicon Express overnight me a new track bar bushing. A few other misc. things from the Zone and I should have everything all fixed up by this weekend!

My water pump is brand new .... unfortunately the complete idiot who installed it forgot to tighten all the bolts down - when I ran the Jeep it blew the RTV out a little and now it seeps a bit even after I tightened down the bolt. Its a super small leak and I'm fine with it.

Yes, Andy, I took it where you think I took it. Problem is, I forgot to drop your name. Otherwise they would have paid ME to inspect it.

Complete Idiot who installed it forgot to tighten all the bolts down -

HEY, I have had that guy work on my jeep too!

Mr Idiot - forgot to put the oil plug back in and dumped 6qts of fresh oil on the ground

Mr. Idiot - Started taking the diff cover off, but didn't put a pan under it because he just fogot that there might be some fluid in there.

Mr Idiot - tried to start my jeep one time while the starter was out of the bell housing.

The guy is a tool... and he always shows up to help when I am in a hurry.

btw in my case, Mr Idiot is me. I don't know if that applies for you too. but yeah it happens. :p
Good luck with the repairs. If you need a hand I am sure there are NAC'ers in the area that would lend a hand.

HEY, I have had that guy work on my jeep too!

Mr Idiot - forgot to put the oil plug back in and dumped 6qts of fresh oil on the ground

Mr. Idiot - Started taking the diff cover off, but didn't put a pan under it because he just fogot that there might be some fluid in there.

Mr Idiot - tried to start my jeep one time while the starter was out of the bell housing.

The guy is a tool... and he always shows up to help when I am in a hurry.

btw in my case, Mr Idiot is me. I don't know if that applies for you too. but yeah it happens. :p
Good luck with the repairs. If you need a hand I am sure there are NAC'ers in the area that would lend a hand.

ahahaha

Hummm I thought NJ inspection was hard to pass ....after talking to some people and reading this post looks like i'm lucky to be on the other side of the river. My jeep passed with brakes almost shot, fluids leaking everywhere, and em. brake not working at all.

Back