• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd Not working HELP...........................

xJeepxXJxThingx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 cherokee and took the linkage off to redo my tranny and thought i put it together right but now it wont go into 4 wheel at all and the stick seems a little loose there a metal bracket that hooks my linkage to my transfer case and it hits my tcase every time i try if someone could post some pictures it would help a lot....

Pardon my ignorance, would that be manual/231 or automatic/242?

I have a 90 AX15/231, but I have a Haynes covers to 2001.

Ok, this info is from the Haynes:

Remove the tc shift lever boot or pull back the carpet for access to the lever.

Position the shift lever as far to the rear as possible, and insert a 1/8 thick shim (feeler gauge) between the shift lever and the shift gate.

(Here you want to tape/wire/nylon tie the lever and shim in place against the gate.)

Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.

Under the vehicle, loosen the shift linkage trunnion lock bolt and make sure the shift rod fits freely in the trunnion and shift lever. (Make sure the tc is fully shifted into 4L before checking the fit.) Tighten the lock bolt.

Lower the vehicle, remove the shim and reinstall any components which were removed.

That is it.

As long as you have the shift lever/shim/shift gate in place in the cabin, then yes, put the tc in 4 lo from underneath and adjust the linkage to the lever on the tc.

i had this problem with mine too. joe peters is tellin ya the right way. its really the only way lol. worked for me, should work for you

I almost think you are pulling my leg, but giving the benefit of the doubt here goes:

On the side of you tc is a "range lever", that is the flat metal piece with a hole in it for the shift rod. When the shift lever is moved in the cabin, the shift rod pulls/pushes the range lever forward or back.

If you have setup the shift lever and shim at the shift gate--fully rearward, then disconnected the shift rod trunion lock bolt so the shift rod is free, you can grab the tc range lever with your hand and shift it through its full range--2wd, 4Hi, N, 4lo. So imagine the shift lever fully forward, and it would have what effect on the range lever, through the shift rod? It would push the range lever towards the rear of the tc. If that is true, then grabbing the range lever and pushing it fully forward should get you 4lo. Once the range lever is in 4lo, and the shift lever in the cabin is still fully rearward and shimmed against the shift gate, tighten the trunnion lock bolt and your done.

Hope that gets you there.

That's exactly what I thought but didn't know for sure and that's exactly what I needed I think I have the flat plate on backwards and that's my problem. Thanks I will let you know if it works

Back