NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > NorthWest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

NorthWest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old September 8th, 2008, 16:48
NAXJA Forum User

Good ideas and Bad ideas

Remember, this is just my opinion - my opinion based on experience.

Good ideas:

Lockers
SYE's
Angle Shims (quick. easy. effective)
Spring overs
SMALL blocks (nothing beats stock spring ride quality!)
Drop link shackles
Adjustable coil spacers
Anti-Wrap bars

Bad Ideas

Transfer Case drop brackets
control arm drop brackets
DROP BRACKETS (in general)
BIG BLOCKS (lift blocks, not engine blocks )
Z shaped steering arms

Anyone else have any brilliant ideas?
Old September 8th, 2008, 16:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Good ideas and Bad ideas

You think Control arm drop brackets are Bad? But think Lift blocks are good?

Old September 8th, 2008, 16:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbooking
You think Control arm drop brackets are Bad? But think Lift blocks are good?

Yeah, SMALL blocks.. like 1 or 2 inches.

These items raise your vehicle up while insignificantly increasing axle wrap. Control arm drops are welding on peices of metal that lower parts of your truck. If you are raising your vehicle to a point were you need lower mounts for your control arms you should install a better solution, such as a long arm kit.
Old September 8th, 2008, 16:59
NAXJA Forum User

Really? huh, id beg to differ that, Ive seen MANY capable rigs with RE drop brackets.

and drop brackets are not just pieces of welded metal. Have you ever actually seen them before?

Take a peep at Ken's (4xSantas) rig, or Cal's (Cal) rig. Im pretty sure they do the most hardcore trails in California with their drop brackets...
Old September 8th, 2008, 17:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinslayer
Yeah, SMALL blocks.. like 1 or 2 inches.

These items raise your vehicle up while insignificantly increasing axle wrap. Control arm drops are welding on peices of metal that lower parts of your truck. If you are raising your vehicle to a point were you need lower mounts for your control arms you should install a better solution, such as a long arm kit.
The only downside I have found is a little loss of clearance, They are beefy and greatly improve my ride.

My experience with blocks 2" and 3" are very very bad. So blocks no more! I agree with the rest
Old September 8th, 2008, 17:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmaxx
The only downside I have found is a little loss of clearance, They are beefy and greatly improve my ride.

My experience with blocks 2" and 3" are very very bad. So blocks no more! I agree with the rest
What was your experience?

As for the mounts they'd have to be very beefy to hold up, and in my opinion if I was going to do that much work i'd do it right with a long arm.
Old September 8th, 2008, 17:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Really? huh, id beg to differ that, Ive seen MANY capable rigs with RE drop brackets.
Yep, plenty of rigs up here running DBs and almost all reviews have been positive. Sure, if you have the $1K to do LAs then rock on but for those with a tighter budget, I've always heard DBs are a great alternative.

- Jay
Old September 8th, 2008, 17:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinslayer
What was your experience?

As for the mounts they'd have to be very beefy to hold up, and in my opinion if I was going to do that much work i'd do it right with a long arm.
With 3" blocks: bent and s shaped leafs, kept breaking add a leafs
With 2" on a buddies rig: really bent leafs, broken secondary, spontaneous loss and pretzeling of rear driveshaft.

If I notice any deformation in my drop brackets I'll make corrections. They are pretty thick and mount securely. I had so much into my short arm lift I couldn't go back and do it long arm. I and others are very impressed the flex it has now for short arms. We are going to do up the Mrs xj with longarms when the time comes, It is the way to go.
Old September 8th, 2008, 20:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Yeah, WTF? I know a lot of folks with DBs who do great off road; it's undoubtedly one of the better budget mods out there.

-----Matt-----
Old September 8th, 2008, 22:25
NAXJA Forum User

I saw this guy this weekend that lifted his fullsize chevy 3/4 ton with lift springs in front, but stock springs and 4 2'' blocks.
Old September 8th, 2008, 23:01
NAXJA Member

I notice alot of the "Bigger" trucks run Blocks, i've seen f350's runnin 8" lifts with atleast 6" of block in the rear!
Old September 8th, 2008, 23:11
has frame envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw-xj-scott
I notice alot of the "Bigger" trucks run Blocks, i've seen f350's runnin 8" lifts with atleast 6" of block in the rear!
4 inch blocks are factory on the Fords I think. The thing is with blocks is they are ok on the street, your not putting anywhere as much force on them as you are offroading. A truck used on the street will never spit a block or have the axle wrap like a jeep offroad sees.

-Alex
Old September 8th, 2008, 23:12
NAXJA Forum User

Are blocks ok if you dont wheel?
Old September 8th, 2008, 23:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba-Riedo
4 inch blocks are factory on the Fords I think. The thing is with blocks is they are ok on the street, your not putting anywhere as much force on them as you are offroading. A truck used on the street will never spit a block or have the axle wrap like a jeep offroad sees.

-Alex
You answered my question even before I submitted it

Good Job
Old September 8th, 2008, 23:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXNAYXJ
Yeah, WTF? I know a lot of folks with DBs who do great off road; it's undoubtedly one of the better budget mods out there.

-----Matt-----
I'm sure they work fine - flatten out the arm and you get a better ride for sure and more down travel.. but what I mean is why goof around with a bracket that now needs to handle lateral motion as well as front to back motion when you are just going to chop it off when you realize you should have done it right in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85xj4dr
I saw this guy this weekend that lifted his fullsize chevy 3/4 ton with lift springs in front, but stock springs and 4 2'' blocks.
I thought that was more of a southern thing..

When I said 2 inch blocks were ok, I meant only one per side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSYChedXJ
Yep, plenty of rigs up here running DBs and almost all reviews have been positive. Sure, if you have the $1K to do LAs then rock on but for those with a tighter budget, I've always heard DBs are a great alternative.

- Jay

If you can't afford a grand for long arms you really shouldn't be lifting your truck past the limitations of the stock lower control arm mounts - the larger tires you can fit are going to blow up your D30 and you wont be able to afford parts for that either.

Quote:

and drop brackets are not just pieces of welded metal. Have you ever actually seen them before?

Take a peep at Ken's (4xSantas) rig, or Cal's (Cal) rig. Im pretty sure they do the most hardcore trails in California with their drop brackets...
I'm sure with enough metal and fabrication you can make anything work.. Yeah i've seen them and they look rediculous. Have you seen or wheeled an xj with a long arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmaxx
With 3" blocks: bent and s shaped leafs, kept breaking add a leafs
With 2" on a buddies rig: really bent leafs, broken secondary, spontaneous loss and pretzeling of rear driveshaft.

If I notice any deformation in my drop brackets I'll make corrections. They are pretty thick and mount securely. I had so much into my short arm lift I couldn't go back and do it long arm. I and others are very impressed the flex it has now for short arms. We are going to do up the Mrs xj with longarms when the time comes, It is the way to go.
What BRAND of leafs? I have Rubicon Express 3 inch leafs with 2 inch blocks, and have run them for a year with no issues whatsoever. How much could you possibly have into a short arm kit that you couldn't recoup? 400 bucks tops for uppers and lowers..everything else works with a long arm kit..

Try doing this with a shortarm: (that's a 36 inch TSL, and those are 7.5inch RE coils falling out there..)

Not saying that shortarms are shit but when you get over 6 inches don't even bother with them..and adding a drop bracket is just prolonging the pain. a grand for a longarm kit is cheap compared to 400 for control arms and then however much more for these brackets, I don't know the price but if it's from Rubicon Express it sure as shit ain't cheap!