• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep behind fifth wheel

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
I know it is legal in MI as long as you have the rec double endorsement and are under 65'.

Me and the wife are debating on buying a fifth wheel or small motorhome next spring. I am thinking a fifth wheel for a few reasons. Less maintenance, cheaper insurance, cheaper.

Now I see guys hauling Rangers and boats all the time behind 5er's, but never a jeep. Has anybody done this and have pointers, or things they wish they would have done differently? Obviously a good hitch on the camper would need to be built.

What makes you say that?

For the reason I gave...too much weight behind the fifth wheel.

Another biggie is you will have a hard time finding a fifth wheel trailer built with enough frame strength to hold up to the stress of that much tongue weight. If you get into a custom trailer that could hold the weight, you might as well buy the motor home.

Besides frame strength what does the weight matter? It would definitely need a stabilizer hitch, But if the truck can handle it and it doesn't sway, it shouldn't be to bad.

Besides frame strength what does the weight matter? It would definitely need a stabilizer hitch, But if the truck can handle it and it doesn't sway, it shouldn't be to bad.

Its about weight distribution. I don't know exactly what the numbers are but you want substantially more weight in the front trailer than the back. It would seem like a big fifth wheel trailer would weigh a lot more than a jeep on a flat bed but not as much as you think.

The biggest problem...and the reasons trailers like to sway is tongue weight. When you put a ton of weight on the back of the lead trailer, it takes the weight off the front of the lead trailer. Again...unless you bought a custom trailer with the axles set further back you are going to run into problems.

I am thinking about a 24 to 28 foot fifth. The axles are set pretty far back. Not sure which route I want to go, I am just trying to think out loud, It's not like i can test it out before I buy everything.

My toy hauler weighs 11,000 loaded, and it is heavy.
A normal fiver weighs around 7 or 8,000. A jeep on a trailer will weigh almost that. Like the good Dr. said, you need the weight in the front trailer otherwise the rear trailer will try to pass you.

2 guys from work have attempted to do this behind their fifth wheels, neither one of them have been successful.

I think you would be disappointed and a lot of money spent to find out that it does not work

2 guys from work have attempted to do this behind their fifth wheels, neither one of them have been successful.

I think you would be disappointed and a lot of money spent to find out that it does not work

What were their issues?

After getting paid for the past couple hours to think about this I am leaning towards a Class C motorhome.

Most Class Cs will need serious frame reinforcement to tow a Jeep on a trailer. Still a much better option than Jeep behind 5th though.

Back