• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Jesus...

For $12 each...I'll run some UHMW and countersunk allen bolts like I do on the buggy (which, I actually do plan on doing on this coming XJ build :D).

Those bolt protectors look cool I guess, but wouldn't last long before you are right back to not being able to get bolt head out.

Yeah, those are pricey. I just meant for those bolts he currently has under the frame rails. I don't think my TNT JK belly system came with those. Nope, just looked at a picture, those bastards!!! :D

I've seen where guys made those out of UHMW or HDPE. Still protects the bolt but easier to dig out of the way if it gets chewed up.

That was actually my plan. I bent a tube up, then realized I couldn't get to the drive shaft bolts without dropping the whole thing. Ifi made it smaller it would offer less protection. So I figured a bolt on skid would be easier to work around while protecting more
Great! Now I need to make a few changes to the skid I bought from Fred. :thumbup:

Weld some sturdy tabs on the inside radius of the hoop and you can have a removable panel, any size you like. As mentioned, I'll be countersinking those holes, but I'll likely skip the UHMW.

Run another crossmember behind the T-Case and mount the skid to the two crossmembers. You could use 3/16 plate, or even better use some 1/8 and dimple die it, then put a sheet of uhmw under that. The dimple dies will increase the rigidity of the thinner sheet allowing you to save weight and the uhmw will slide much better over the rocks.

Get some of these for your crossmember mounting bolts under the frame rails.

https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_parts/bolt_protectors_tnt_customs

Another idea I had. Space is getting tight with the exhaust which was why I came up with that. I may just end up going with a mix of the 2. Haven't totally decided yet.

Ya know how they say dogs start to look like their owners...? :eyes:

Got some welding and cutting on the buggy done today. Took out the old and too small fuel call tray. Also cut off the rear tabs for the c/o's. welded up tubes that had just been tacked in place and removed some I didn't like the location of.

Don't be a oneton....we need pics :speepin:

I have 100hrs into it since November ...I really would like next pics to be trail shots . I finally idled the gas tank down and think it is time to cut a hole
and knock that out and drop the rear to match the front . I really need to stop doing front digs everytime I move it since I stil have not put the new superjoint bushings in and the old ones leave a ton of wobble and I can see marks on joints from movement from digs at full lock ...lol...be a shame to toast the shafts in my driveway before the first run .

Yea I was really over thinking the skid... Built a box around the bolt hole that goes thru the side for the Cross member, making the skid plate removable. It'll be 1/4. It's heavy, but steel guy sells 2*2ft pieces for $30 and I'll use half so....
Needs a few more tabs to bolt it, then onto the trans and engine skid, and then, and then....
32582469795_b06e1da5f0_b.jpg

Getting there...Had to see what it was looking like

31754399334_8c1178b1c5_b.jpg

31786108493_a62c052a0b_b.jpg

31754443004_ce2c2945f6_b.jpg

Still have more to do on it. Need to get a hawse fairlead, make a hoop, finish trans cooler mount and some other stuff. Pretty happy with how it looks tho.

I've been trying to address the fact that while the engine is spectacular, the driveline handles like poop. I have not liked it since I put on the long arms. Too much bouncy and vagueness. I looked at buying some better Bilsteins, but $200/shock was too much. I had the average Bilsteins for a 3.5 inch lift on the beast. Amazon read my mind, and popped up some Fox Race shocks for $500 some including shipping, so I bit. My lift was around 3.5" when I bought the original Bilsteins, it's probably around 4.5" in the front and closer to 5" in the rear.

Fox claims this shock is good for 4-5". Looks good to me. Installed.

That's the front driveshaft taped to the long arm. Trying to track down vibes. No matter what I am working on with the suspension, it always seems to take every jack I have to get the crap together.

Three afternoons of working on the beast(working in the driveway, half of the time is getting tools out and putting them away) I finally got the last shock on.

I even got the new swaybar bushings in, and started on the passenger side rear armor. Woohoo. :) I can drive over the Nevada avenue moguls at 50-60 MPH with a very nicely controlled bounce and recovery. On to the vibes.

The fox shocks are far better imo.
When you need to order new stuff lemme know, I deal with a 4wp guy who ships Tommy door at a nice price.

Back