• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Half price at the junkyards today. Good time to buy some ZJ brakes for the project axle...

Been busy this weekend:

Started with this:

Looks pretty funny with 14" trailer wheels/tires:

Ended up with this:

Still need to get the cage stuffed in it, fab up a rear bumper, do the cut & fold on the rear 1/4 panels and order new tires.

Huge thanks to Led, Flores, Fred, and Joe F. for all your help. :cheers::worship:

Last edited:
lookin good!! :thumbup:

I like the performance hood hinges...... what are they? Rancho?

:D

Finally got around to fabbing the axle mounts and installing a sway bar on my rig... Wow what a difference on the highway. Me happy camper.. no more white knuckle driving.

I finally got to work on my little utility trailer. I built a new and stronger tongue, tossed some paint on it, and rerouted the wiring so be less prone to snagging. I still need to put all the tie downs back on it but I'm waiting on the paint to dry on the deck. I might also toss a jack on the tongue if the one my neighbor has will work.

The new tongue is made from 2.5" .120 wall box tubing.

It runs the entire length of the trailer and has a 1.5' overlap where it's stacked out front. It's also gusseted at every crossmember.

The wiring runs down it and goes through grommets to each side where it's tucked along a crossmember.

I then used another grommet to run it through the side instead of underneath, should help keep rocks from taking out the wiring if it drags.

All in all it looks a lot better and should hold up well. The paint on the deck is the Rustoleum deck restorer 10x thick textured paint. It definitely goes on thick and rubbery. Hopefully it holds up well too.

The next step will be to get a 5-lug trailer axle and lift it up a little bit plus run larger tires. Still, as is it's got 16" of clearance under the trailer and just over 9" under the axle. Once I can get an axle I'll raise it 2" and then go to a 25ish inch tall tire. That'll give me 2.5" more under the axle and 4.5" more under the trailer itself.

For reference, this is what it looked like before when I took it camping last weekend. You can see the trailer pointing down, that's because the tongue started to sag after hauling arse over a really rough road/trail while loaded up.

Last edited:
Hell no, I'm keeping this thing forever. Or at least until it's so full I can justify a 4 bank épic series.

I've got several repairs I need to make to my newly acquired XJ. It was wrecked by the previous owner, and needs some tender loving care (and a good mechanic). Anyone willing to help me out with doing some repairs? :) I'm a musician, not a mechanic, but I love this ol' Jeep and want to fix her up...

Back