• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

So working on my new project. 91 MJ. Speedometer doesn't work, put a new sensor in, still doesn't work. The MJ has a transmission out of a 04ish TJ, same with the transfer case (np231j), as far as I know. It's also got a dash out of a newer XJ, I doubt that really has anything to do with it since all the other gauges work just fine. I'm getting power to the sensor, just not getting a reading. Any advice?

If the gear setup is like the Renix years, you need to rotate the whole assembly to make the gears mesh.

Gotta be clocked correctly for the number of teeth on the gear. It's a dumb setup but I can't think of a better way to do it.

And yeah, the whole speed sensor. Here's some more detailed info: http://www.4x4xplor.com/speedo.html

FNA!

epydugyj.jpg

Uh yeah. Off the Ram. Amazing how one was fresh out the box looking, and the other was red dust frozen.

Personally, I have always thought the idea of "lubricated for life" to be the least intelligent thing ever done.

Of course it is "lubricated for life". Once the grease is gone, it dies... And all in the misguided effort to "reduce the cost of ownership by reducing maintenance".

Pure, unadulterated, nonsense that.

Added some black to the bottom portion of the Jeep yesterday. I am working on some cosmetic stuff for the time being. Some more to come here in the near future.

10453365_10202790833025705_7012358989419088563_n.jpg

Pulled the tcase and replaced the seal on the output of the tranny. It was leaking and making a mess of the driveway.

Got a nice chunk of parts ordered from Serious Offroad yesterday:
Bilstein 5100s
RE Boomerang shackles
Alloy USA ball joints
RE track bar lower bushing
RE LCA bushings
RE UCA Superflex joint poly races

Already got 6 new Spicer 1350 u-joints for the driveshafts and new brake pads.

Still need to order slotted brake rotors, fwd leaf spring bushings, plugs/wires/cap, and tires. Also need to build a new rear bumper.

You were framed...

Back