• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

subs in xjs

you shouldn't really need disconnects, just pull the wires out of the speaker box and take it out. if you are worried about the amp being on and are talking about disconnecting that, just pull the remote wire out of it and put a piece of tape on the end. that way the amp won't even turn on.

subs100.jpg

Old punch 12's(RFZ2412), they were free, which makes them better. I will be building a 4th order isobaric bandpass box as soon as I get an amp that will tolerate 2 ohms.

I just put a new setup in my XJ

Dual rockford fosgate P2's (12 inch) with a kenwood 500w RMS class D amp.

With some fine tuning it bumps with a lot of fine tuning I got it perfect and it is low enough to hear my music but strong enough to feel it.

When I first dropped in the amp (the amp is new as of yesterday $99 brand new best buy) -4 bass on the deck and I was shaking my side view mirrors.

XJs are great with ported boxs. IMO

I'm pretty sure i'll never let another person wire up my system again. Its easy enough to do myself, and Best Buy has given me nightmare of a day today...

Had the system installed 2 days ago. Last night I noticed that all of my passenger side lights were out except turn signals and headlights. I took it to my mechanic today and he told me to go yell at best buy because he's pretty sure they mounted the amp over a wire and screwed into it, shorting it out. On my way to best buy right after that, I smell something funky and look down to see smoke coming out from under the dash. I pulled it over, let it cool, and pulled it into a parking lot nearby. Just starting it up made the smoke worse, and it didn't stop after shutting it off. I called the fire department and they came and popped the hood (didn't have pliers on me- my hood pull is broken) and theres smoke pouring out of the breaker box. a few melted fuses, but I think nothing else was harmed too bad.

I'll find out if it was truly BB's fault tomorrow, but right now it looks like it is.

moral of the story: know where your wires are before you drill on anyone's vehicle, and if you want the job done right, do it yourself.

I just put a new setup in my XJ

Dual rockford fosgate P2's (12 inch) with a kenwood 500w RMS class D amp.

With some fine tuning it bumps with a lot of fine tuning I got it perfect and it is low enough to hear my music but strong enough to feel it.

When I first dropped in the amp (the amp is new as of yesterday $99 brand new best buy) -4 bass on the deck and I was shaking my side view mirrors.

XJs are great with ported boxs. IMO

XJ's sound great with a Wall of 12's too! :D I wouldn't personally do it since I carry tools and actually wheel but my buddy hit 157.3 in his XJ!

I run a Kicker marine sub enclosure in my trail rig. It holds one 10" sub and is made to fire down. The box is a thick poly box that is water proof and the terminals are water resistant. It is heavy duty enough that I installed my trail gear box on top of it and it has held up very well. No pics at the moment, but will get some if requested. They are a good option if your throwing in muddy or wet gear and/or spare tires etc.

I run a Kicker marine sub enclosure in my trail rig. It holds one 10" sub and is made to fire down. The box is a thick poly box that is water proof and the terminals are water resistant. It is heavy duty enough that I installed my trail gear box on top of it and it has held up very well. No pics at the moment, but will get some if requested. They are a good option if your throwing in muddy or wet gear and/or spare tires etc.

Get some pics up of that Tyler!

I have a big box i custom built for my Alpine Type-R 12's. Its slot ported and tuned for 35hz. Its in my grand am right now with a single kenwood 800w amp powering it ( i blew the second one when i was running 2). I would really like to run them in the XJ but im worried about ease of theft and the nearly total loss of cargo space (which is full of tools/spare parts/spare fluids right now. The box weighs a ton so removing it constantly is going to be a PITA.

Im thinking of building a custom sealed box for a single 12 that could be tucked away. WOuld it sound good? Im used to the pair of 12's and their vision blurring/bolt loosening bass. Would a single 12 in a sealed box be enough to at least feel in the back of the seat?

Im thinking of building a custom sealed box for a single 12 that could be tucked away. WOuld it sound good? Im used to the pair of 12's and their vision blurring/bolt loosening bass. Would a single 12 in a sealed box be enough to at least feel in the back of the seat?

Most likely. I've got 2 now, I used to run a single 10 in a custom bandpass, and it was pretty adequate really. Sealed boxes can be small and they sound interesting. Do it.

In my XJ i have one JBL 12" it was a special at cartoys got 2 for 150 sold one for 150 and bought a 600 watt Power accoustik amp. i still need to do some tuning but it sounds good for what it is... i also only have 2 speakers in the rear speaker bar.
Once i get some speakers up front it will sound better with my Alpine deck.

I'm pretty sure i'll never let another person wire up my system again. Its easy enough to do myself, and Best Buy has given me nightmare of a day today...

Had the system installed 2 days ago. Last night I noticed that all of my passenger side lights were out except turn signals and headlights. I took it to my mechanic today and he told me to go yell at best buy because he's pretty sure they mounted the amp over a wire and screwed into it, shorting it out. On my way to best buy right after that, I smell something funky and look down to see smoke coming out from under the dash. I pulled it over, let it cool, and pulled it into a parking lot nearby. Just starting it up made the smoke worse, and it didn't stop after shutting it off. I called the fire department and they came and popped the hood (didn't have pliers on me- my hood pull is broken) and theres smoke pouring out of the breaker box. a few melted fuses, but I think nothing else was harmed too bad.

I'll find out if it was truly BB's fault tomorrow, but right now it looks like it is.

moral of the story: know where your wires are before you drill on anyone's vehicle, and if you want the job done right, do it yourself.
The moral is, if you do not know how or have the means to do it yourself, have a certified audio person do it.

The moral is, if you do not know how or have the means to do it yourself, have a certified audio person do it.

Or don't have the pudwhackers at BB do it either!

Absolutely! I am running a Type R 12" in a sealed box (nice 'n small) off an Alpine 450W amp and I can seriously shake my Jeep. The sealed box sounds a LOT better and louder then I ever imagined it would in my XJ. My brothers are all running large ported boxes and my little sealed single 12" can keep up with no problems.

If it's a sub that was built for an enclosed box then it will sound better in an enclosed box. I have my JBL in a sealed box and it pumps with my cheapo 600 watt amp. I wish i had another 12 it would sound so much better then just my one sub.

Here's some pics of my current set-up (although I have something devious up my sleeve :D )

ALPINE CDA-9855 Receiver/ KCA-420i - iPod Interface
ALPINE MRP-M350/ MRP-F240 V-Power Amps (Stealth Install)
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 .. 6.5" components
Infinity Kappa 62.5i .. 6.5" rear-fill speakers
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10DVQ .. 10" subwoofer
50 sq. ft B-Quiet Ultimate Deadener/ XTC speaker baffles
10" Stealthbox® sub enclosure

stereo.jpg

subs.jpg
i got the same box and i love it. but i got tan interior so it doesn't look as sweet
Did i mention i got mine for $15:moon: the people over at freeman's didnt know what they had other than it was for an XJ

Last edited:
i got the same box and i love it. but i got tan interior so it doesn't look as sweet
Did i mention i got mine for $15:moon: the people over at freeman's didnt know what they had other than it was for an XJ
Wow, you scored one crazy deal on that stealthbox. Nice job!!

Damn! I hate you! I had to pay $250 for mine! :doh:

Quick question for those lucky enough to have stealthboxes: how do you mount it to fit flush with the side of the car? I don't see any mounting hardware at all and I can hear it moving around in there when I'm driving (I haevn't hooked it up yet, just had it out for test-fitting).

Back