• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sick Dog Racing Jeepspeed Build

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on this project. I just thought I owed some of you an explanation

I started my current job a year and a half ago. Working for a large plastic manufacturing company. The job description stated 40-50% of my job would be traveling to the 7 different locations in the US. And that pretty much went as planed until about September 2010 when my travel increased to about 85-95%. Since December I have been in the San Jose area (Hollister CA) Monday through Friday just about every week. In March they told me the company is working through a sale and it will be broken up into two pieces, and after the sale I would no longer have a job in the La Mirada CA facility. They then asked me to relocate to the Hollister CA facility. With the current job market, I was not able to secure a job in the LA area so I took the Hollister job. I have been up here three weeks full time now and plan on moving my wife and kids up this week. In mid March I scrambled from race mode to survival mode. Working Monday though Friday out of town then spending Saturday and Sunday getting my house in So Cal ready to put it on the market. However it looks like I might actually be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here and might begin to resume this project shortly.

At this time I would like to apologize to my sponsors who have supported my cause even though I have yet to deliver a race vehicle. While I took no cash from my sponsors I did receive discounts and product. I will make every attempt to get my Jeep racing before the end of the season. It is my full intension to fulfill my obligation to you as soon as I can. Thank you for being patient with me. However if you feel this is unsatisfactory please feel free to PM or e mail me and I will return or pay you for the products you have provided for me. Thanks again for your patients and support.

Larry Mason
Sick Dog Racing

Keep up the hard work Larry, If you need a monkey to turn a wrench or two to keep the sponsors happy shoot me a PM.

sorry to hear about the work situation, but the good news is, your still employed! so what if the racer has to wait a while, the important thing is your family still has food on the table. hate to hear about the move, i remember you had a mill and other heavy equipment.

I'll offer again, if you need a pair of hands (or 5 or 6 pairs) to get the build finished I can rally the troops and help you out man. I've been following this build closely and grabbing ideas from it, the least I can do is force my minions to help you get it finished :D

No worries here, either. Family always comes first. Income certainly keeps the family under roof and fed.......here's hoping you're getting settled and sorting out the boxes by now. Let us know when you're headed out for testing!

I’m finally got settled in my new home in Hollister CA It’s a small town so it might as well be East bum #@$% Egypt. I love it up here but the they roll up the sidewalks here at 5:00 PM.
So after spending a few days trying to figure where I left off, I’m back at it . The first issue I need to address was the drive shaft.
IMG_20111222_171720.jpg

It seems the drive shaft was binding at too high of a angle. I did some research on the issue and decided to build a new drive shaft.
IMG_20111222_171108.jpg

After a trip to the local bone yard I picked up a few drive shafts.
I’m using the spline shafts from a late model full size Ford Bronco, the double cardigan u joint is off a front drive shaft from a XJ , and the pinion u joint is off a 84-88 Toyota pick-up.
IMG_20111222_174238.jpg

After cutting what I need.

Last edited:
Started paint
Preped
IMG_20120506_161931.jpg

IMG_20120506_162002.jpg

Primed
IMG_20120506_180242.jpg

IMG_20120506_180251.jpg

Paint
IMG_20120609_192551.jpg

IMG_20120609_192535.jpg

IMG_20120609_192652.jpg

Doors panels
IMG_20120715_165401.jpg

Stock door handles
IMG_20120715_165412.jpg

Nets
IMG_20120715_165735.jpg

IMG_20120715_165744.jpg

IMG_20120715_165755.jpg

IMG_20120715_165810.jpg

Last edited:
hey i like the seatbelt latch idea!

Use the one out of a late 90s Chevy S10. There all steel and can be welded without melting the plastic.

Yea been here a year now. Im living near 4th and hwy 25

Yes they do sell them! larry.. Here is something to think about from a safety standpoint. When you are racing and something happens and you need to get out it a flash, the button of the release might be harder to get to then you think. Adrenaline taking over logic can be dangerous.

I would sit in the vehicle, and roll play a bit.

What I did is secured it to the top and on the portion that connects to the door, I had the local dry cleaner shop sew on velcrow and glued a strip to the door. So in the event of any emergency, you can open the door pushing, ripping the velcrow and no thoughts or worries..

I am a bigger guy and so are the rest who race with me, its hard enough getting out without any pressure.

As for tech inspection, I have no issues with it and to get compliments on how easy access it is!

All else looks good bud!

Back