• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "Constructive Deconstruction"

Re: Project "Spring Semester Of 2011"

I was gonna offer you my garage the other day, but figured it would be more hassle than it's worth to get down this way.

i need to address the axles. i have a couple options but think ill end up with the cheaper one.

I thought you were still gonna get the 44 I have?

:new:UPDATE:

- i was in cadillac all weekend snowboarding for my PED361 (advanced snowboarding) class. saturday we saw a few inches of snow, and cleared up torwards sundown, woke up to -11 temps, blue skies, and groomed runs sunday. man, the things i do for my grades. :rolleyes: haha, should have been an easy "A" to help boost my GPA. started working on my frontside and backside 1s and 3s as well as riding switch. getting damn good. the instructor had a hard time believing that the first time i strapped into a snowboard was last year. guess all the surfing, skating, and wakeboarding translated over pretty good.

- i got all the parts i needed to replace the pump; water pump, gasket, lower hose, heater tube, gasket, even picked up a stant T-stat and gasket and treated myself to some quality mechanics gloves because ill have to do it in the cold. i just got to figure out a way to properly drain the fluids, and dodge campus PD while doing the job so i dont get ticketed.

- OBA is moving again. got the male/male fiting that i stripped out, and removed the pressure switch without damaging it. got to get the water pump done and wait a few pay checks, then ill start plumbing it. forgot to cut off a bracket though. didnt feel like it with all the school work i was doing. :lecture:

- got the W2, just need to file it. should pick up a D44 rear and SYE. maybe even before i receive it if i can find the time to visit banderso in ann arbor. will probably stop there and do disks on the 44 while its not in the jeep. got to get a 30 with matching gears and ill probably be tapped out for money. i mentioned control arm drop brackets, but have been eyeballing the 4-link offered by Froehlich... we will see. i think im going to pick up some 32" KM2s or MTRs this summer i will only need 4, can use one of my current rims and tires as a spare. maybe some of the mastercraft courser M/Ts if cadillac tire is willing to give me a good enough deal.

anyone have oppinions on these tires?

This is too odd for me to not comment, we seem to share a lot of parallels. I don't use the forums much so I just saw this today.

I go to CMU.
I am an Mech. Eng. Tech. major, so I am in the IET building a bunch.
I drive a lifted emerald green 98 XJ, with black on the lower sides and quarter.

I also used to live in Rockford MI for many years.

With that said, I have never seen your jeep around town, or John D around ever. I must be Jeep blind or something. I see lifted Jeeps all over where ever I go, but you two guys have vehicles that I have never seen before.

where do you usually park or do you walk to campus? most of my classes are in moore, dow, and pearce... science and match classes. my MET class in over in the herrig building. rocks and valleys trip sometime?

there is a black early body on 33" MTZs and the ugly rugged ridge tube bumpers. i still have yet to find the owner. he/she is always in the same lot as i am every day.

I park in lot 33 between 4 and 5 days a week. I have classes in Dow, Pearce, Brooks, and IET, so right by were you are.

I smashed up my fender and headlight last week, so my Jeep is off the road for a little while, but I had been in that area all the time, I only live 1 mile away.

I drive a green 98 - 3" lift - cut fenders - 33x10.50 KM2s on Echo wheels or 235 all terrains on black canyons rims - rockers are steel tube and hurculiner bottom end and quarters

The only lifted XJ I can remember seeing is this burgundy late model with cut fenders and wide rims, driving around with a huge dune flag or whip antenna a few months ago.

ah, over on the east side of campus. usually im in lot 22 by west campus. i live on bellows, so its one road to get there.

i think i remember seeing a burgundy one months ago torwards the ends of summer. for some reason i remember a woman driving. idk...

:new:
water pump = fixed!

got it all together and started pouring fluid in it and wouldnt you know it, there was a leak! was the thermostat housing. guess i just didnt scrap the old gasket completely off.went to crank on it to get it to seal and POP! cracked the housing! i turned to my buddy and was like, "what time is it!?" it was 8:30 and we ran strait to the nearest auto parts store. i wasnt going to let it go another day. sealed up fine... t-stat works properly. no leaks, all is well.

back to the OBA project. :)

no jeep money to speak of, but it felt good to DRIVE to class instead of WALK. F all that jazz, especially in the cold. going snowboarding today and making pennies over the weekend got to file the tax return sometime to get some more jeep money. will probably handle that tomorrow after my chemistry exam and HW assignments are done.

hitting the slopes now for a shred session. fingers crossed for no hospital visits.

got done with work today, went to autozone to return some stuff. opened the hood to put in some washer fluid and wouldnt you know it. green fluid everywhere. "awe, $^&@ naw!" looked like it was coming from behind the water pump, on the right side of the pump. gasket?

picked up a new one. tore it all down in a fraction of the time it took before. thank god it was sunny. TRIPLE checked that the old one was off. looked like the new one got goofed up on installation and wasnt seated right. buttoned everything back up. all seems fine. if i have to do it one more time... im going to keep the water pump and just change the jeep. FML. :rolleyes:

ive got the prospective build plan and axle plans finalized. here we go.

Step 1: Ride Quality
- SYE
- Shackle relocation brackets
- Control arm drop brackets
- control arm bushings

tax return should cover these no problem. the plan here is to make the ride better, immediately... haha. also, the thinking is that the relation of the leafs and shackles will not change with the weight of the jeep on it. even when a new axle is put in so the new mounts can be burned in without the need for degree shims. new axle you say, what ever could that mean? on the front, i plan to replace all of the bushings in my SF arms. they are worn and in need of some love, i can feel it on the road. not going to replace the factory uppers on the axle side when im hoping to replace the axle itself.

Step 2: Axles
- 8.8 with 4.10s, LSD, and disk brakes
- TNT U-bolt eliminators and shock mounts
- driveshaft flange adapter
- e-brake cables
- bump stop
- drive shaft lengthened (as needed)
- D30 with 4.10s
- upper control arm bushings
- coil spacers
- bump stops
- various fluids and brake parts (as needed)

with the AX-15 4.10s should be a nice touch. the idea of the TNT brackets is to have nothing hanging bellow the axle itself. and ill gain more lift that the newly installed SYE can remedy. also, burning the mounts in means i can adjust pinion angle without a need for degree shims. gigidy gigidy. with the raised shock mounts i may not need new shocks in the rear immediately if i gain some lift, bump it, and try to maximize droop. we will see. the front probably will or else i will have very little down travel. ill add some simple spacers to match the rear and bump accordingly. with all the rusted exploders running around im thinking finding a D30 with 4.10s will be harder than the 8.8.

and then to top it off:
Step 3: Meats!
- NEW 33s!
- spare rim (OEM 7" rim wont suffice for 33s)

no more used tires. worst decision ever to buy them. im in love with the kevlars, but may pick up the durratracks or another A/T for the road quality (where my jeep spends most of its time) and just live with the lack of performance in the mud. they should perform everywhere else. ive looked up the drive rations of all the gears in my tranny and have been using the calculators to try and pin point exact RPMs of different gears at different speeds to try and find the ideal tire size. i dont have to worry too much about that really until the time comes.

i also have various side projects to keep me busy when funds are low. most are cheap, some are free:
- Doorless
- OBA
- ZJ tie rod
- Mains cables upgrade
- ported intake and 60mm throttle body (off of stroker motor)
- noncracked header (off of stroker)
- redo spray on liner with roll on hurculiner (i did my grandfathers truck with the stuff, its TOUGH)
- new exhaust (possibly if i can find or have a down pipe made that is 2.5" i already have the car/muffler)

also got to get some metal and play with that:
- finish rear bumper
- front bumper
- rock rails
- quarter pannel guards (need to get access to a tube bender)

i guess you can consider this my build bible. should be done before my trip to Va in june, where i will head down to NC and hopefully run uhwarrie and spend the rest of the time bummin on the beaches of the OBX. my stompin grounds. im thinking somewhere from $2.5k-$3.5k later itll be done. and quite a few cases of miller light bribery. shouldnt be a problem working in bits. just got to stick to the plan!

any recomendations on parts?

Last edited:

ive got the prospective build plan and axle plans finalized. here we go.

Step 1: Ride Quality
- SYE
- Shackle relocation brackets
- Control arm drop brackets
- control arm bushings

tax return should cover these no problem. the plan here is to make the ride better, immediately... haha. also, the thinking is that the relation of the leafs and shackles will not change with the weight of the jeep on it. even when a new axle is put in so the new mounts can be burned in without the need for degree shims. new axle you say, what ever could that mean? on the front, i plan to replace all of the bushings in my SF arms. they are worn and in need of some love, i can feel it on the road. not going to replace the factory uppers on the axle side when im hoping to replace the axle itself.

Step 2: Axles
- 8.8 with 4.10s, LSD, and disk brakes
- TNT U-bolt eliminators and shock mounts
- driveshaft flange adapter
- e-brake cables
- bump stop
- drive shaft lengthened (as needed)
- D30 with 4.10s
- upper control arm bushings
- coil spacers
- bump stops
- various fluids and brake parts (as needed)

with the AX-15 4.10s should be a nice touch. the idea of the TNT brackets is to have nothing hanging bellow the axle itself. and ill gain more lift that the newly installed SYE can remedy. also, burning the mounts in means i can adjust pinion angle without a need for degree shims. gigidy gigidy. with the raised shock mounts i may not need new shocks in the rear immediately if i gain some lift, bump it, and try to maximize droop. we will see. the front probably will or else i will have very little down travel. ill add some simple spacers to match the rear and bump accordingly. with all the rusted exploders running around im thinking finding a D30 with 4.10s will be harder than the 8.8.

and then to top it off:
Step 3: Meats!
- NEW 33s!
- spare rim (OEM 7" rim wont suffice for 33s)

no more used tires. worst decision ever to buy them. im in love with the kevlars, but may pick up the durratracks or another A/T for the road quality (where my jeep spends most of its time) and just live with the lack of performance in the mud. they should perform everywhere else. ive looked up the drive rations of all the gears in my tranny and have been using the calculators to try and pin point exact RPMs of different gears at different speeds to try and find the ideal tire size. i dont have to worry too much about that really until the time comes.

i also have various side projects to keep me busy when funds are low. most are cheap, some are free:
- Doorless
- OBA
- ZJ tie rod
- Mains cables upgrade
- ported intake and 60mm throttle body (off of stroker motor)
- noncracked header (off of stroker)
- redo spray on liner with roll on hurculiner (i did my grandfathers truck with the stuff, its TOUGH)
- new exhaust (possibly if i can find or have a down pipe made that is 2.5" i already have the car/muffler)

also got to get some metal and play with that:
- finish rear bumper
- front bumper
- rock rails
- quarter pannel guards (need to get access to a tube bender)

i guess you can consider this my build bible. should be done before my trip to Va in june, where i will head down to NC and hopefully run uhwarrie and spend the rest of the time bummin on the beaches of the OBX. my stompin grounds. im thinking somewhere from $2.5k-$3.5k later itll be done. and quite a few cases of miller light bribery. shouldnt be a problem working in bits. just got to stick to the plan!

any recomendations on parts?

I recommend paying up the first round of Miller Lite :)

got off the phone with my father today telling me to try and get a list of metal i needed to build bumpers. i figured i couldnt do that without having some sort of design in mind. i figure i want something like my old bumper but with better corner profile. JCR? well, i dont want to make something that mimics an already made design. and cant stand plain jane square tubing. so what if i rotate the square tubing between the frame rails a little and add another dimension? then i can give it the corner profile i want and box it all in. i cant say itll be super strong but when boxed in it should be able to take a hit right? :dunno:

i was going with the kind of rolled under look. the hooks in the pictures will go for sure and i plan to add D-ring tabs. ive been contemplating the idea of notching out the center and clearancing it for a winch. not that ill ever get one soon... but itll be nice to have the option. id just need one to mach it up. ok, enough talking. picture time. unfortunately i dont have an auto cad program (which if i did would be nice, as id have all the metal cut by an uncle to fit) so hand drawn sketches will have to do.

front:
179254_150987538289004_100001332774399_245335_5864938_n.jpg

i tried to super expose the picture to make it light enough to see my markings. i think it came out alright. ive still got to dream up a stinger idea. ive been playing with a few. it may also hang down lower to cover the crossmember, but that can be dealt with as needed. maybe make my own skid as i am NOT a fan of how much of a PITA the stocker is to take off.

side profile:
181654_150987524955672_100001332774399_245334_2193656_n.jpg

very rough i know. but what im imagining in my head looks nice. i just needed to get it on paper so i didnt lose my ideas. and to show that i have an idea which is more incentive to get the metal. will work on the rear when i can go outside in the sunlight and take some pictures of it to doodle on.

as far as the front. ill probably end up squaring off the sides instead of trying to tilt them to to come out something like this:
100_3805.jpg

like i said, just trying to get an idea what itd look like. basically it wouldnt be flat up front like cruzin illusions but the same idea though:
100_4958.jpg

Finally spotted your Jeep in lot 33 today. Looks like you need new treads from what I saw of your front tires. Get some KM2s and our XJs would be brothers.

Also see you are planning on an 8.8 with 4.10's in the rear, I have one at home waiting to go in my XJ. I also have ZJ steering parts that I will install this week too. I also need a SYE soon, plus I am half done with my rear tire carrier bumper too.

So now I have to do something different when I get mine back on the road, our Jeeps have too many similarities. Not quite twins, but pretty dang close

wow! that is similar. haha. i usually dont park over there, but lately lot 22 has been FULL and i have to park way at the north end out of my way. even at the back of 33 its much less of a walk. i can also cut through most of the buildings to get to where i need to be. i hate this cold BS.

new meats are on the list. the KM1s im on now are just rollers. got rid of the 3 other sets of tires i had and picked these up for $50 (after i sold the rims). im thinking some BFG A/Ts or the duratracks because my jeep sees a lot of miles... and ill keep an eye out for some used swampers or something for the ORV park.

also talked to someone with a white lifted XJ. looked like he had a JCR light bar on top. said it was his DD, and he had another vehicle. said he was on GL4x4 but not here. know who that was?

Back