• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

First time I used cheap parts (cheapest hubs from Autozone), second time I used Timken units.

if you buy the good intake gasket the first time you replace it, you will not have problems there after. the problem is not with the engines, it is with the factory intake gasket

Since I don't tear down engines, I had to depend on shops. First time I used an import garage. Second time I used a shop that was recommended. Third time, I sold it to a friend whose dad owned a garage. He fixed it, drove it for a while, then sold it.

if you buy the good intake gasket the first time you replace it, you will not have problems there after. the problem is not with the engines, it is with the factory intake gasket
I've been told the same thing about those engines. We had the 3400 in our Venture van, and never had any issues out of it, but we suspected the gasket was done before we got it. Thing got great gas mileage as long as you kept your foot out of it. It didn't run to bad for a van either. Better than this POS Chrysler we got now! The F-ing Jeep gets better gas mileage than that thing.

Top passenger side bolt. I have the motor dropped down a couple inches thanks to taking off the motormounts. I can't see the bolt head from down below as there is too many wires in the way. I can't get to it from the top yet, just can't get my hand in there. So Jennie is going to help me this morning then I should have the stroker in by this evening and maybe even running.

Yep. Starting to be JK this and JK that. I seem to remember the same thing happening in 97 with the TJ.

I couldn't drive in 97! lol

Who closed down?

AJ's Offroad

Top passenger side bolt. I have the motor dropped down a couple inches thanks to taking off the motormounts. I can't see the bolt head from down below as there is too many wires in the way. I can't get to it from the top yet, just can't get my hand in there. So Jennie is going to help me this morning then I should have the stroker in by this evening and maybe even running.

I always take the head off when i pull a 4.0. Gear wrench makes those top tranny bolts easy. I believe they are a 12 MM. Plus then you can hook chains to your old head bolts.

Top 2 transmission bolts from the factory are an external Torx. If they're a 12mm, they've been replaced.

Personally, if I'm pulling an engine, I'll probably pull engine, trans & tcase as one as well as removing the front header panel as well.

I'm curious as to the frequency of your leaks. If a 60* 3.1, 3.4, 3100, 3400 (yes, there are significant differences in the "point" and XX00 series engines), 3800 engines will not only run fine but continue to be relatively repair free if proper preventive maintenance is performed. And switching to a newer antifreeze will go a long way. Dexcool is kinda crappy. Prestone would be my personal route in one of those era engines after doing intakes.

But I would honestly say that 60K is about the general time in between gasket changes. If you but 180K on a Malibu, I'm certain you had more reason to sell the car than intake leaks...

A-Ron...I read your post and think that either I read your text too fast or you had a typo in there. If it dies in gear, I'd look at the vacuum leaks like Ken said and if those 3.4DOHC fuggers have EGR, I'd pull that off and look for carbon build up. But those things are a PITA to work on.

Did you say what year it is? A good OBDII scan tool will go a long way for reading realtime parameters in diagnostic aid. If it's OBDI and you can't find a vacuum leak or an EGR issue...have your buddy sell you them hood vents, sell it for scrap and wash his hands of it.

Typo my ass, i think you were just pissed about your hat. And its a Z34, i thought those were pre-OBD2.

Top 2 transmission bolts from the factory are an external Torx. If they're a 12mm, they've been replaced.

Personally, if I'm pulling an engine, I'll probably pull engine, trans & tcase as one as well as removing the front header panel as well.

I usually pull the entire drivetrain also, but with the bellypan from T.N.T on there it does not make it easy as the control arms bolt to that, so that would of been another problem to deal with. I just dropped the engine off the mounts to get a little more clearance on the top. I could see the driver side e-torx bolt and got that one off easy but the passenger side has a few wires and hoses running there so I cannot see if from underneath. So an extra set of hands on the top to guide the socket on and me underneath breaking the bolt loose.
Having the correct size socket for those e-torx makes things ALOT easier.

Typo my ass, i think you were just pissed about your hat. And its a Z34, i thought those were pre-OBD2.
You're right. About the Z34, that is. I really did read your text too quickly. I was loading a bunch of tables into a box truck and didn't have a lot of time to read.

So I guess they're all ODBI and difficult to diagnose. I was thinking of the newer 3.4DOHCs that they put in the Monte when they brought it back.
Checking in.

What have I missed?
I have a kid.

obviously not a professional text and driver ...

picture.php

Kim, look at my engine swap thread I did here. I spent a crap-ton of time trying to get to those 2 top bolts. The one on the driver side I finally got with about 4' of extentions on the wrench. The pass side I could never get to it. All this to avoid dropping the crossmember since the entire front suspension is connected to it.

I always take the head off when i pull a 4.0. Gear wrench makes those top tranny bolts easy. I believe they are a 12 MM. Plus then you can hook chains to your old head bolts.

:scared: That's a lot of work just to pull the motor. With all I did to avoid dropping the crossmember, I ended up dropping it anyway. I just couldn't get to that bolt. I can't remember the reverse torx size. I think 13?

I usually pull the entire drivetrain also, but with the bellypan from T.N.T on there it does not make it easy as the control arms bolt to that, so that would of been another problem to deal with. I just dropped the engine off the mounts to get a little more clearance on the top. I could see the driver side e-torx bolt and got that one off easy but the passenger side has a few wires and hoses running there so I cannot see if from underneath. So an extra set of hands on the top to guide the socket on and me underneath breaking the bolt loose.
Having the correct size socket for those e-torx makes things ALOT easier.

I even removed the motor mounts and the bracket that attaches to the block. I couldn't get the motor down enough to reach the one on the pass side.

So I finally got with Solid Industries about the spindles I ordered. Turns out they don't carry them anymore. That's a nice 3 weeks waiting to hear that answer. So Yukon makes some. Most places are charging $160 a spindle, this place is charging $89 with the bearing kit:

http://completeoffroad.com/i-123130-chevy-spindle-72-76-1-2-dana-44-k10-yp-sp706528.html

Too good to be true? I called them, got an american with a stock status and I've read a few threads on other boards about good service, so I guess we'll see.

So I finally got with Solid Industries about the spindles I ordered. Turns out they don't carry them anymore. That's a nice 3 weeks waiting to hear that answer. So Yukon makes some. Most places are charging $160 a spindle, this place is charging $89 with the bearing kit:

http://completeoffroad.com/i-123130-chevy-spindle-72-76-1-2-dana-44-k10-yp-sp706528.html

Too good to be true? I called them, got an american with a stock status and I've read a few threads on other boards about good service, so I guess we'll see.

i've ordered stuff from them in the past...they are from my hometown! dubuque iowa is where all of my family lives so i have to give them some of my money. i would trust them without a doubt. all of my dealings with them have been quick and easy

Back