• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Stay far away from 60°V6 GM engines (3100 & 3400 engines)......

If Josh keeps having kids maybe his MINI might be forsale sooner rather than later :)

mac 'didn't realize that they had been around since 2003' gyvr

2002 was the first model year. We bought hers new on a special order in 2003. Waited 3 months for it to be built and delivered.

And yes, if you're in the market, it will be for sale this summer.

red 'I can turbocharge an Odyssey' heep

It means patch that sucker up as best you can and then sell it on CL for less than an idiot will think it's worth...

It means patch that sucker up as best you can and then sell it on CL for less than an idiot will think it's worth...

DING DING DING!

Can anyone lay some knowledge down on me about plumbing a fuel cell for the back of an XJ?

what do you need? decided on a pump?

somewhere in mod tech is a post about my fuel cell with all the summit part numbers for the bits and pieces you need. The pump I used for my renix junk should work with any system that has a fuel return. you're on your own for the returnless systems.

Stay far away from 60°V6 GM engines (3100 & 3400 engines)......

intake gasket issues, for sure. but generally not a bad engine if you watch for intake leaks

pretty sure those were the first GM engines to have the intake manifold gasket issues.

side note, back to red.

takes a while for a check to clear. :D

Who closed down?

intake gasket issues, for sure. but generally not a bad engine if you watch for intake leaks

After my third intake leak, I decided to sell my POS Malibu......

Can anyone lay some knowledge down on me about plumbing a fuel cell for the back of an XJ?

text me.

mac 'e2000 is your friend' gyvr

After my third intake leak, I decided to sell my POS Malibu......
I'm curious as to the frequency of your leaks. If a 60* 3.1, 3.4, 3100, 3400 (yes, there are significant differences in the "point" and XX00 series engines), 3800 engines will not only run fine but continue to be relatively repair free if proper preventive maintenance is performed. And switching to a newer antifreeze will go a long way. Dexcool is kinda crappy. Prestone would be my personal route in one of those era engines after doing intakes.

But I would honestly say that 60K is about the general time in between gasket changes. If you but 180K on a Malibu, I'm certain you had more reason to sell the car than intake leaks...

A-Ron...I read your post and think that either I read your text too fast or you had a typo in there. If it dies in gear, I'd look at the vacuum leaks like Ken said and if those 3.4DOHC fuggers have EGR, I'd pull that off and look for carbon build up. But those things are a PITA to work on.

Did you say what year it is? A good OBDII scan tool will go a long way for reading realtime parameters in diagnostic aid. If it's OBDI and you can't find a vacuum leak or an EGR issue...have your buddy sell you them hood vents, sell it for scrap and wash his hands of it.

OH! So as I was leaving the house this evening, I went to put on my beloved Realtree camo MWC hat that I received from Hale in April-May 2009, as a consolation prize for trying to bulldoze a tree on Trail 21, only to find that one of our dogs had gotten a hold of it an annihilated the bill. I was pissed. Dogs got screamed at.

I'm curious as to the frequency of your leaks. If a 60* 3.1, 3.4, 3100, 3400 (yes, there are significant differences in the "point" and XX00 series engines), 3800 engines will not only run fine but continue to be relatively repair free if proper preventive maintenance is performed. And switching to a newer antifreeze will go a long way. Dexcool is kinda crappy. Prestone would be my personal route in one of those era engines after doing intakes.

But I would honestly say that 60K is about the general time in between gasket changes. If you but 180K on a Malibu, I'm certain you had more reason to sell the car than intake leaks...

I won't remember exact dates. I bought my Malibu around September of 2003 or 2004. Was about a year later with 85k it first went bad. A little over a year it went again. This time I didn't trust the first shop to do it again, I went to a second shop. I don't remember exact miles, but I sold it around 135k. I do regret selling it, but at the time I didn't know any shade tree mechanics that would charge less then 300 to do it. I did my own oil changes up until the last few years with full synthetic (every 5k), my own brake pad changes and replaced the wheel bearing units a couple times. I did keep the dexcool crap and if I would have been able to, i would have flushed the system and put the green stuff in. The only other problem i had with my Malibu was the starter going bad.

You had to replace wheel bearing units a couple times in 50k miles? Either you did it wrong or you used shit parts... it's not like it had 35s on it.

Back