• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

okay, still havn't put a tranny in the Ram, here's what I've found...

I can buy a junk yard tranny, 85k miles for $750.

I can have a local shop rebuild for $1700-$2000.

I can mail order a rebuilt tranny with new T-converter, kevlar bands, shift kit for $1000, shipped.

Anyone use MAD MAX PERFORMANCE out to FL?

Fore 'hate my Dodge' Wheeler

Love dodges!!! Trannys bring the suck tho!!!:hang:

I got it for $5k. There may be better deals to be had, the seller was firm because he'd had so much interest. By comparison my 01 with 140k was about $13k when I got it. Ford fan or not, I think the early Powerstrokes are one of the best values in a diesel truck, since everyone likes the more modern look of the Super Duties. I know I pretty much bought my 01 based on looks.

It's not a perfect truck, needs some lights fixed and some of the tires are wearing weird (thanks TTB), but it seems to go down the road straight and ought to pull whatever I need to pull. It has a GN ball in the bed already, so I can start pondering the next trailer...

Its not TTB...Twin Traction Beam, that's the 4x4. There's actually a name for the 2wd suspension. Also I don't believe that Ford actually made the 4wd version of that truck in that body style, I think they were all conversions. Either way, good looking truck and you got a good deal I think.

Love dodges!!! Interiors bring the suck tho!!!:hang:

Fixed...

mac 'bleeds ford blue' gyvr

Its not TTB...Twin Traction Beam, that's the 4x4. There's actually a name for the 2wd suspension. Also I don't believe that Ford actually made the 4wd version of that truck in that body style, I think they were all conversions. Either way, good looking truck and you got a good deal I think.

I believe you are right, TTB is for the 4x4, because it has the pivot in the middle to keep the beams aligned since an axle shaft goes from one beam to the other. It seemed when I was under it looking at it that each beam was independent, maybe it's just called I-beam suspension? At least that's what the desert guys seem to refer to it as. It sure does ride nicer than the leaf-sprung solid axle on my 2001 did.

I know I've seen CCLB F250s that were 4x4, but so far I have not seen an older dually that is 4x4, so that could be the case. Doubt I'd ever try to convert it, but at least I'll get a set of tow hooks on the front of it... we've all seen how the campground gets at WF.

Nice find Brad, I'd love a crew cab with my Duggar family. If 97 F350 CCLB SRWs weren't gold around here I'd consider going to the dark side. It would have to be a 350, I despise TTB.

Find a posi for it or throw a Lockrite in it and I wouldn't worry too much about 4wd.

Nice find Brad, I'd love a crew cab with my Duggar family. If 97 F350 CCLB SRWs weren't gold around here I'd consider going to the dark side. It would have to be a 350, I despise TTB.

Find a posi for it or throw a Lockrite in it and I wouldn't worry too much about 4wd.

I didn't get the Duggar reference at first, had to look it up... is that your new life goal? :D

I was always a little skeptical of TTB but the I-beam set-up seems more symmetrical. I wouldn't be surprised if the 10.25" had posi already, but I agree, with some weight on the back and a Tru-Trac or something like that would help immensely.

If we cross paths before you see the big CHZ again, I have an extra set if you want it. One with older U-joints but still with hubs on them, and another with new U-joints.

Been missing my diesel since I sold it and I've had a 96 Dodge 1/2 ton as a temporary replacement, but ran across this and had to jump on it. 97 Powerstroke, CCLB, 2WD, miles unknown but whatever, and best of all it's rust free.

299262_10100709618061648_13704148_61836551_3639099_n.jpg

Trade you a bus for it.

Doubt I'd ever try to convert it, but at least I'll get a set of tow hooks on the front of it... we've all seen how the campground gets at WF.

Park up by the office and you won't have issues. I have the same front suspension in my '05 that you do in your '97. I have factory LSD, supposedly. I know it makes two tire tracks on asphalt :D

Even in the slop down by the fire I wasn't worried about getting stuck, but I wouldn't take the trailer down there and then have to pull the truck out with the jeep. :looney:

Park up by the office and you won't have issues. I have the same front suspension in my '05 that you do in your '97. I have factory LSD, supposedly. I know it makes two tire tracks on asphalt :D

Even in the slop down by the fire I wasn't worried about getting stuck, but I wouldn't take the trailer down there and then have to pull the truck out with the jeep. :looney:

Agreed, I'm thinking as long as I'm smart about it and stay in the dry stuff I should be fine.

yea. I think I am just going to find a storage lot for it and park it there. Its cool as sheet but don't need it in the driveway.

Sounds like you just need a bigger driveway...

After the buggy goes I may be selling the tow rig I just bought.

2000 F350 dually 4X4 ext cab powerstroke 6sp.
Texas truck without a hint of rust anywhere.

Sounds like it needs a woodland camo paint job and you will forget it is even there.

Leaving for Cedar Falls Iowa in 5min. Jeep Mania this weekend. If you're attending, give me a shout (or PM) and We'll meet up.

Tornado just went through by my parents tonight. 300 yards away everything is flattened. Drenched going through the devastation looking for a damaged propane tank that was leaking. Second storm started dumping on me as I was shutting it off. Too much excitement up here. Don't like lightning when looking for a propane tank that is leaking. No injuries reported yet. Hopefully stays that way.

Tornado just went through by my parents tonight. 300 yards away everything is flattened. Drenched going through the devastation looking for a damaged propane tank that was leaking. Second storm started dumping on me as I was shutting it off. Too much excitement up here. Don't like lightning when looking for a propane tank that is leaking. No injuries reported yet. Hopefully stays that way.
Too close for comfort eh? One missed me by around 2000 feet the day I moved all my worldly possessions into my house. I don't even have home insurance yet because it is a fixer upper and not insurable. That was a bit more excitement than I needed.

Fortunately around here, we get a tornado like every 50 years. I'm not likely to see another one.

Back