• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found my "no bus" ,still crank and no start

So while the precats were pretty clogged, no light to be seen even using a surefire light. Pretty sure they were the original ones. So I figured no matter what it was time to bite the bullet. Order em on rockauto yesterday and holy crap! Danged if they didn't show up today! One day shipping during Christmas....wow.
Sadly the removal of the cats made no change to its running issue. Made the decision it HAS to be timing. So back, once again, to timing 101. For the literally 20th time I pull it apart, set TDC, and play with the cam position sensor drive. As I'm looking at KNOWN TDC ( piston up, both #1 cyl valves closed) I can't for the life of me figure out why the timing marks are so off. Having set it to 0* every other time I simply said "screw it", left it way off the mark and fiddled with the cam sensor. Had a cigarette while gathering strength to fight the frustration then went and crossed my fingers as I turned the key.
Instant VAROOM! !
(No exhaust is loud!)
Well, starting and idling is good... but it did that before. Still crossing my fingers and close my eyes as I crack the throttle.

VaROOOOOOOOM...VaROOOOOOOOM VaROOOOOOOOOM!!!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!
FINALLY! !!!!!!!!!
Alive and right!
Thank all the jeep gods it runs like a raped ape!
Wahoo!

So tomorrow I will fight the new precats back in and hook the exhaust back up.
Soooo relieved it is finally close to being a driver once again!
Huge thanks to all here that offered thoughts and ideas.
We DID it! :cool:

is it a fresh harmonic balancer? It may have slipped if it is your old one.
Nope, it was used on the running motor. I looked it over pretty good and didn't see much dry rot type stuff. How would it rotate out of alignment and not walk off the crank or at least wobble?? Not saying it couldn't... I just don't understand.

Back